Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
So I've been searching all over for a tablet mounting solution for my Pro XP Sport. Several posts on this forum got me pointed in the right direction with mounting the tablet in the factory Ride Command location but I wanted a really clean install.

This setup is with a 10.4" Samsung Tab A7 but can accommodate any sized device, bigger or smaller.

• First I started by cutting a 3/16" aluminum plate to size and drilling holes to line up with the 4 factory holes where the factory ride command would presumably mount.
  • Next up was adding an additional hole to the center of the plate for a tripod ball head mount with an arca swiss plate clamp to mount to. The idea with using the ball head was if I desired any adjustment to the tablet angle I could easily achieve this in the future by loosening the ball head and re-angling.
  • After the aluminum plate and ball head were mounted in the machine I test fit the actual tablet holder on the ball head and could adjust for symmetry with the dash.
  • Following this was a quick hole through the block off cover (with the RZR logo on it) and installing it over the stem on the ball mount

I'm pretty stoked with the final product. When I'm not using the tablet in the machine the dash still looks super tidy and there isn't a big empty tablet mount staring at you which was important to me. Furthermore the ball head with arca swiss clamp can be used to hold tons of different equipment. Want to aim a go pro or other camera back at the driver and passenger, there's an adapter for that, Use your cellphone sometimes instead of the tablet? It will fit in the tablet mount as well or grab a different one.

How does it hold up during riding? Awesome. From the 3/16" aluminum plate all the way to the tablet all the parts are aluminum or stainless steel. The CNC work is top notch and because the tablet mounting portion it self rests against the dash there isn't even any vibration. My goal was to have a setup where the machine could cartwheel and the tablet would stay put. I'm confident that this will be the case after my first round of testing/riding.

Now for what you came for, the pics:

View attachment 693645

View attachment 693647

View attachment 693648

View attachment 693649

View attachment 693650

View attachment 693651

View attachment 693652

Hope this helps someone looking for a clean mounting solution for their ride. Any questions just drop a comment.

Big thank you to all of those that went before me on mounting tablets in this location and posted their setups!
Nicely done!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I'm going to go the OP's route, but a quick and dirty solution for the ipad mini, or similar sized tablet.

This is definitely a YMMV thing, but here what is working for me at present, and I believe it will continue to, until if and when I get around changing it up.

Pull the RC blank off the dash.

Apply 3M Tape Primer to the plastic bits you're about to apply your 3M tape to. Let dry 5 minutes.

Apply 3M 'Dual Lock" SJ3560 fastener tape to the appropriate parts of the dash and respective tablet case.

Don't immediately attach the tablet to the dash. The 3M fastener tape actually has a 72 hour dwell time to 100% cure strength.
These tapes will NOT stick to the dash plastic sufficiently without the primer. However, with the primer, the tape isn't coming off the dash or tablet case without pliers, and even then it will be painstaking.

Once the tape is cured and tablet attached to the dash. It takes a LOT of force to pull the Dual Lock fasteners apart.
Like good ol' Velcro, just 10 times the force to separate the two.

Gps navigation device Plant Motor vehicle Gadget Output device

Plant Motor vehicle Gps navigation device Gadget Gas

Motor vehicle Light Green Gadget Plant

Drinkware Cup Paint Font Drink

·
Registered
78 Posts
The app is a launcher so primarily it's a way to organize the display/home screen and allow you to arrange the apps you want for launching while out on the trail.

It does have a built in compass, speedo, clock, and nav display which can be chosen for the centre location as well as integrated media controls on its home screen.

The free version is a 30 day trial of the full version so I would suggest downloading it and see if it works for your needs.
How do I get this app to display the speed? Just downloaded it, pretty sweet setup

·
Registered
2022 Pro XP
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's solid. All the parts work together great. I set up the angle I wanted and locked it in place and then drilled the hole for the post to stick out. Like you said it still looks good without the tablet installed.

I picked up a 12.4" samsung tablet to use as well. Not sure if I will use the launcher or not. Pretty much only interested in using the Ride Command map while riding.
That setup looks great! nice install. I see you used only two of the rear holes and a thinner bracket behind. Have you noticed any play/movement?

·
Registered
2022 Pro XP
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm going to go the OP's route, but a quick and dirty solution for the ipad mini, or similar sized tablet.

This is definitely a YMMV thing, but here what is working for me at present, and I believe it will continue to, until if and when I get around changing it up.

Pull the RC blank off the dash.

Apply 3M Tape Primer to the plastic bits you're about to apply your 3M tape to. Let dry 5 minutes.

Apply 3M 'Dual Lock" SJ3560 fastener tape to the appropriate parts of the dash and respective tablet case.

Don't immediately attach the tablet to the dash. The 3M fastener tape actually has a 72 hour dwell time to 100% cure strength.
These tapes will NOT stick to the dash plastic sufficiently without the primer. However, with the primer, the tape isn't coming off the dash or tablet case without pliers, and even then it will be painstaking.

Once the tape is cured and tablet attached to the dash. It takes a LOT of force to pull the Dual Lock fasteners apart.
Like good ol' Velcro, just 10 times the force to separate the two.

View attachment 697430

View attachment 697451

View attachment 697431

View attachment 697432

That's a clean install as well. I did come across another thread where somone took a similar approach but they had the issue of the whole RC blank popping out with the tablet attached. The extra weight of the tablet was too much for just the blank to handle. Just mentioning so you can keep an eye on your tablet and it doesn't eject on you!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
That's a clean install as well. I did come across another thread where somone took a similar approach but they had the issue of the whole RC blank popping out with the tablet attached. The extra weight of the tablet was too much for just the blank to handle. Just mentioning so you can keep an eye on your tablet and it doesn't eject on you!
Yes, the blank definitely wouldn't support any additional weight. It's barely secured well enough to hold itself in place.
I removed the blank and mounted to the RC dash panel behind it. In theory, I suppose it too could become dislodged, but I've pulled on it with a great deal more force than the tablet should ever exert upon it, (outside of something violent) and it seems solid.
The downside - Much less real estate for securing the tape to the tablet and dash, making the primer essential in this application.

Time will tell the tale. If it fails, I won't fail to report that is did..

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I've been searching all over for a tablet mounting solution for my Pro XP Sport. Several posts on this forum got me pointed in the right direction with mounting the tablet in the factory Ride Command location but I wanted a really clean install.

This setup is with a 10.4" Samsung Tab A7 but can accommodate any sized device, bigger or smaller.

• First I started by cutting a 3/16" aluminum plate to size and drilling holes to line up with the 4 factory holes where the factory ride command would presumably mount.
  • Next up was adding an additional hole to the center of the plate for a tripod ball head mount with an arca swiss plate clamp to mount to. The idea with using the ball head was if I desired any adjustment to the tablet angle I could easily achieve this in the future by loosening the ball head and re-angling.
  • After the aluminum plate and ball head were mounted in the machine I test fit the actual tablet holder on the ball head and could adjust for symmetry with the dash.
  • Following this was a quick hole through the block off cover (with the RZR logo on it) and installing it over the stem on the ball mount

I'm pretty stoked with the final product. When I'm not using the tablet in the machine the dash still looks super tidy and there isn't a big empty tablet mount staring at you which was important to me. Furthermore the ball head with arca swiss clamp can be used to hold tons of different equipment. Want to aim a go pro or other camera back at the driver and passenger, there's an adapter for that, Use your cellphone sometimes instead of the tablet? It will fit in the tablet mount as well or grab a different one.

How does it hold up during riding? Awesome. From the 3/16" aluminum plate all the way to the tablet all the parts are aluminum or stainless steel. The CNC work is top notch and because the tablet mounting portion it self rests against the dash there isn't even any vibration. My goal was to have a setup where the machine could cartwheel and the tablet would stay put. I'm confident that this will be the case after my first round of testing/riding.

Now for what you came for, the pics:

View attachment 693645

View attachment 693647

View attachment 693648

View attachment 693649

View attachment 693650

View attachment 693651

View attachment 693652

Hope this helps someone looking for a clean mounting solution for their ride. Any questions just drop a comment.

Big thank you to all of those that went before me on mounting tablets in this location and posted their setups!
What case are you using on the a7 tablet?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got mine installed last night and I'm super happy with the results. Haven't taken it out on the trails but it did great going down the road! Thanks to the op for the idea!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the blank definitely wouldn't support any additional weight. It's barely secured well enough to hold itself in place.
I removed the blank and mounted to the RC dash panel behind it. In theory, I suppose it too could become dislodged, but I've pulled on it with a great deal more force than the tablet should ever exert upon it, (outside of something violent) and it seems solid.
The downside - Much less real estate for securing the tape to the tablet and dash, making the primer essential in this application.

Time will tell the tale. If it fails, I won't fail to report that is did..
couple plastic trimp darts stiffens it up to not release at just about any speed/bumps. can fly the machine off bumps and it's fine.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
couple plastic trimp darts stiffens it up to not release at just about any speed/bumps. can fly the machine off bumps and it's fine.
I'm not familiar with trimp darts, but two months in and a few hundred miles, it's holding to date.
I tested the 3M Dual Lock and tape primer on the discarded dash blank plastic before going this route, and I honestly don't think it's coming off of there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just installed my tablet last weekend. Cut a piece of aluminum to 3.5” x 7.5” and used the factory holes behind the cover to mount it.

drilled through the cover and my otter box defender hard case and was done. So far it works great.
Audio equipment Bumper Gadget Gas Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Rectangle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior
Audio equipment Bumper Gadget Gas Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Rectangle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

21 - 40 of 46 Posts