Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1141 - 1151 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Finally got around to installing this kit, wasn't too bad. Little time consuming since I had to remove the winch as well. Got stalled last night on punching out the roll pin, my regular punch would not budge it. Picked up a roll pin punch this morning and it came out with a few whacks. Won't get to drive it for a few weeks but hopefully the marbles are gone. ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the shim change today since I lost out on a sale this week. The guy back out out because of the noise. Just remove the driveshaft and you can feel the gears clunking. When it was out I took a diamond file to the edges of the gear. Replaced everything and filed the differential with some 75 at Belray trans oil. The old crap is like 30 et. The end result is not a bit of noise from the front end.??. It's only about an hour fix if you have the correct snap ring pliers

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just did the shim change today since I lost out on a sale this week. The guy back out out because of the noise. Just remove the driveshaft and you can feel the gears clunking. When it was out I took a diamond file to the edges of the gear. Replaced everything and filed the differential with some 140 at Belray gear oil. The old crap is like 30 et. The end result is not a bit of noise from the front end.??. It's only about an hour fix if you have the correct snap ring pliers
Never use thicker fluid than hydraulic oil in the Hilliard Front Differential... use only Polaris Demand Drive Fluid, ATF or Tractor Hydraulic Fluid.
Gear Oil is an absolutely TERRIBLE idea... Armature Plate will not hold properly under a heavy load (especially in cold conditions) and Roller Cage will ratchet and ultimately destroy itself and the Armature Plate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just ordered an RCV one piece driveshaft for my XP1K..... They say that’s the cure for the vibes..... I’ll give an update once it’s in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just ordered an RCV one piece driveshaft for my XP1K..... They say that’s the cure for the vibes..... I’ll give an update once it’s in.

Any update on this shaft or this entire thread? I bought a used 2016 8 months ago and have gone back and forth over whether or not I have this issue. Yes, my diff is the 3344 or what not, the one we DON'T want. I jacked my rear end up the other day but didn't feel I had it jacked up on stands safe enough to get to 30 mph so I let it back down. Since then I haven't had time to look at it.

All I know is that I've got a terribly loud ride even with front and rear glass windshields and chalked it up to wind and motor and exhaust noise. I found this thread a few months back but didn't revisit it until lately. I'm going to have to verify I have the marbles or not before I toss any money at it. Doubt Popo would cover it now, here in 2019 for a 2016 and second owner. I may go the sandcraft route, or the Polaris 2206304 kit or just move my shim. Not sure just yet.

Just wondering if there was anything new to add to this epic thread. Thanks, all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I do for sure have the marbles and it's not just motor noise then I'm thinking of going the Polaris 2206304 route as they tell you to re-position the pinion shim and also give another shim for the ring gear which if I'm not mistaken is adding more additional backlash than the pinion shim alone. Not sure exactly... but also a new pinion bearing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Took FOREVER to get my pin out holding my driveshaft to my pinion shaft. Pneumatic hammer/chisel sucked. Anyway, like another poster posted awhile back, I've got the worst offender model *****3344 but I've got no shim. Either this was already done by the previous owner, or it's just that some have the shim, some don't. I forgot to cross-reference serial number span as well as diff model number.

The pinion bearing seemed to be pressed up all the way against the shoulder of the pinion gear. This seems to have helped others but perhaps the bearing moved over time to create less/more gear mesh without the shim. I don't know.

I took a short video and not sure which direction to go from here. Any thoughts are most certainly welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, that was a long read.

I have a 2017 XP4 1000. I had 1700 miles on the diff and it was dead quiet. I then sold that diff and put a 2019 XPT diff in so I could run the larger turbo axles. The 2019 diff I have is 1334182 and sounds like a can of marbles, seems like it starts around 10 mph and gets bad around 25-30 mph.

When I installed this diff I installed the Sandcraft internals as well and noticed the pinion had a shim(my 2017 did not), I did not yet know about this thread and installed it the way it was. I put 500 miles on it dealing with the noise and just got around to pulling it out and inspecting it.

The internals look mint, absolutely no damage. The wear pattern on the pinion gear is in a very specific spot near the base of the teeth. Easy to see in the pic.

I found this thread after researching the “marbles in a can” noise. The OP only had .010” between the housing and pinion gear, I have .021”. My shim is .020. The wear pattern on the pinion seems less than ideal, my 2017 pinion gear had a much more even wear pattern. I’m going to swap the shim and I’ll report back if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, that was a long read.

I have a 2017 XP4 1000. I had 1700 miles on the diff and it was dead quiet. I then sold that diff and put a 2019 XPT diff in so I could run the larger turbo axles. The 2019 diff I have is 1334182 and sounds like a can of marbles, seems like it starts around 10 mph and gets bad around 25-30 mph.

When I installed this diff I installed the Sandcraft internals as well and noticed the pinion had a shim(my 2017 did not), I did not yet know about this thread and installed it the way it was. I put 500 miles on it dealing with the noise and just got around to pulling it out and inspecting it.

The internals look mint, absolutely no damage. The wear pattern on the pinion gear is in a very specific spot near the base of the teeth. Easy to see in the pic.
View attachment 664741

I found this thread after researching the “marbles in a can” noise. The OP only had .010” between the housing and pinion gear, I have .021”. My shim is .020. The wear pattern on the pinion seems less than ideal, my 2017 pinion gear had a much more even wear pattern. I’m going to swap the shim and I’ll report back if the noise goes away.
Anything results yet?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I put the shim back underneath the bearing. I spoke with Sandcraft and they said the shim swap only applies to early year XP’s, can’t swap it on the later models. I had a hunch that was probably the case since I already had nearly .020 between the pinion and case, the shim swap put me at .040 which seemed excessive.

Sandcraft said they do some shimming and machining but I don’t know how much that really helps.

I emailed back and forth with Jeff from JJ&A, he said that it’s a combination of straight cut cast gear teeth and a giant unsupported ring gear. He told me if he purchases 10 differentials, 8-9 will be noisy.

I’ll probably just run at as-is and live with the noise.

1141 - 1151 of 1151 Posts