Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1121 - 1140 of 1149 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok, so I took my 2015 XP1K in for the noisy front diff..... The dealer took it for a test drive and said it was the wind blowing through my windshield that was making the noise, so they took out the windshield and said it's quiet now. I laughed at him and said I know the difference between a noisy bearing and some wind noise and I know there is a bad bearing in the front diff.... he said he'd be happy to tear it apart to look for a problem, but if they didn't find anything wrong, I would be stuck with the labor bill. I told him I was very confident there was a bad bearing and I suspected it to be the pinion bearing. This morning I got a call saying they tore it down and didn't find anything wrong but I could come in and see for myself. So I did..... first thing I did was spin the pinion bearing by hand and it growled like a rabid dog in heat. It was actually catching and would stop freewheeling it was so bad. Next I tried the carrier bearings..... at first they both seemed fine but I asked for some brake clean to get the oil out and one of them was starting to make noise too. He tried telling me the pinion bearing was fine cuz it didn't have any play in it. Once I told him I was an offshore platform oil rig mechanic and I knew what I was doing, he changed his tune and said they would fix it. I also noticed the pinion depth looked to be too deep. It was only wearing on the big end of the pinion teeth which could be the reason for premature bearing failure due to the fact there would be heavy thrust load on it and suggested to slightly shim out the pinion when they put in the new bearing....... I then got the deer in the headlights look.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a 2017 Xp 4 1000 and it's making the marbles in a can noise
The serial number on the diff isn't in the range listed for the fix
What do I do?

·
Registered
166 Posts
In my case that noise was a bad pinion bearing. They're junk right out of the box. Go for a nice long ride then check the temp of the diff case where the pinion bearing sits with an infrared temp gun. If it's getting over 180°F then you've got issues.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ok, so I took my 2015 XP1K in for the noisy front diff..... The dealer took it for a test drive and said it was the wind blowing through my windshield that was making the noise, so they took out the windshield and said it's quiet now. I laughed at him and said I know the difference between a noisy bearing and some wind noise and I know there is a bad bearing in the front diff.... he said he'd be happy to tear it apart to look for a problem, but if they didn't find anything wrong, I would be stuck with the labor bill. I told him I was very confident there was a bad bearing and I suspected it to be the pinion bearing. This morning I got a call saying they tore it down and didn't find anything wrong but I could come in and see for myself. So I did..... first thing I did was spin the pinion bearing by hand and it growled like a rabid dog in heat. It was actually catching and would stop freewheeling it was so bad. Next I tried the carrier bearings..... at first they both seemed fine but I asked for some brake clean to get the oil out and one of them was starting to make noise too. He tried telling me the pinion bearing was fine cuz it didn't have any play in it. Once I told him I was an offshore platform oil rig mechanic and I knew what I was doing, he changed his tune and said they would fix it. I also noticed the pinion depth looked to be too deep. It was only wearing on the big end of the pinion teeth which could be the reason for premature bearing failure due to the fact there would be heavy thrust load on it and suggested to slightly shim out the pinion when they put in the new bearing....... I then got the deer in the headlights look.
This is pretty sad that the dealers would allow mechanics to lie to customers. It shows the sad state of our American work force and the leadership we have running things.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is pretty sad that the dealers would allow mechanics to lie to customers. It shows the sad state of our American work force and the leadership we have running things.
I agree, but they may not have let him, they may not know any better themselves. Quality workers are getting harder to find in the years of entitlement and parts changers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeah it was pretty sad...... I just got s call saying it's finished and they ended up replacing the pinion bearing and both carrier bearings. Guess I'm SOL on the pinion depth. I'll just wait till it's out of warranty and upgrade it the right way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree, but they may not have let him, they may not know any better themselves. Quality workers are getting harder to find in the years of entitlement and parts changers.
Right , My dads RZR has the diff noise. And when I explained its a big problem and there is huge discussions on forums . The managers response was ," Well we have a guy that watches the forums and he has not seen anything about it.........." So he missed the 1 1/2 year old thread that has 79 pages and 1180 posts????? that averages over 2 posts a day.... So yeah I can see how he could miss the post at the top of the forum TITLED ....... Fix for the xp diff noise vibration . :eek:k:

·
Registered
52 Posts
What do you expect for parts hanger wages and insurance. Couple that with working on flat rate and you're set up for failure before you begin. These guys aren't engineers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bump back to life! I have the dreaded 3344 diff and its making that lovely noise, only 30 hours on the machine.

Talked to my local dealer and the warranty clerk was super helpful and they have done tons of these and shouldnt be an issue, but I will have to sign for the work in case its denied, but it shouldnt be.

However, she said they are going to fight me on the service because i did it myself and used Amsoil. I remember reading on here something about the magnusson moss act or something like that, and tried to discuss with her and she said anything non polaris they are going to fight to deny any claim.

Any advice on how to fight that to get this diff fixed would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hang in there. Just ask for the part# 2206304 do the work your self. not that bad. I did it with the SandCraft drive line solution kit.noise is gone.but some new vibrational noises think due too stiffer motor mounts.But these seem to be getting less the more I ride. Bottom line that rattle can noise is GONE and I feel confident the drive line won't blow apart. Best to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just spent the past couple nights reading this entire thread. Mine has made the noise since day one but got worse on a 200 mile ride in WV. I was super excited at first to think all I had to do was move a shim. Then the different diff numbers started coming into play and figured I better check mine. 17 1000S with the 687 is what I've got. Sounds like the Polaris kit isn't really meant for this diff. I'm thinking of just trying the sandcraft kit I guess. I've already rephased my shafts but that didn't help the noise just a little less vibration maybe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just purchased a 2017 1000S myself.. front diff part number is 1333687 like the previous posters. Same noise, marbles in a can. I've talked to the dealer and they're going to take it in and see if they can figure it out. I am not all that hopeful, but they did mention they've seen it before and had varied luck alleviating the noise. As soon as I've heard back from them, I'll let you all know what they've found. It'll be dropped off tomorrow evening so probably won't hear anything until end of the week.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After a long arduous wait with my local shop, 47 days to be exact, my front diff noise is no longer! It took alot of prying with the tech rep, and showing them the info from here, SO THANK YOU EVERYONE, they finally got Poolaris to replace the entire diff with # 1333687.

It took for ever, and they gave me every excuse in the book as to why they couldn't get it finished, even lying to my face at times not knowing i was in the store watching them not do exactly what they were saying to me at that moment, but its done and over and my new diff runs like a champ and there is no more vibration or noise! Add to that they covered my deductible for the wait.

So if anybody is struggling with their local dealer on this, just apply lots of constant pressure and dont take no for an answer.

The end. ha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an update on my 2017 1000 S --

Dealer has replaced front differential once already, no change. I believe the new diff was model endind 687. After some back and forth with polaris, they want to replace it again. They are ordering it and I'm going to wait a bit and try to get a few more good days of riding in before they replace it, and in the interim, try some other simple fixes that others have found that worked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone have the install instructions for kit # 2206304? I can't seem to find much on it, just want to see what I'm getting into before installing. And is this still the go-to fix for the marble delete option?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you wrench at all it's not bad,a few hours should do it. Copy of instructions might be somewhere in this thread or I have seen videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks I did find the instructions a few pages back. Doesn't look too bad, I certainly don't mind the wrenching. Only issue is don't have a press for the bearing... I'll either harbor freight one or take the pinion somewhere and have it swapped out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1121 - 1140 of 1149 Posts