Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I use harbor freights tire changer that I have mounted outside on a tree stump for non beadlock wheels. It has always worked like a champ

For beadlock wheels, nothing special is required for changing tires. If the inside bead is difficult, a simple floor jack and ratchet strap can be used to break the bead.

I don’t know about others, but yes I have an air compressor that will carry any kind of air tool or equipment. It’s one of the most useful things you can have in your home garage.
Got it! Thanks for reply!

·
Registered
None yet
42 Posts
I've heard guys use plywood board on the edge of bead and drive on with a truck
I've done this before but used a 2x10 instead of plywood. Worked great.

Bead Breaker 92961 alternate photo #1

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Bead Breaker
I bought this to change tires on my ATV. As I pushed down on the arm it started moving and I'm thinking "wow, this thing works great!" ...turns out the tool itself was bending. It wasnt able to break the bead on a standard ATV aluminum rim. So I returned it and used the 2x10 method (see above)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been using the harbor freight bead breaker since about 1990 to break the beads on first atv tires and now my utv tires and a street bike tire a couple of times. got mine back then for $39.99, and it was the best money ever spent. After tire is brook down use 3 tire irons to get the tire off. If you are only changing 1 tire take it to a shop, but when doing 2 or 4. It will cost to much to have someone else change them.
The only time that it was cheaper was when, I went to Baja 2 years ago and had 2 flats driving a chase truck. The local took the tire off of the truck and broke it down and put a patch on the inside of the tire. The 1st flat cost 70 pesos and the 2nd one was 90 pesos( was in a major town). the exchange rate then was 19 pesos to a dollar. Do the math and you will see that I got a good deal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use the Rabaconda for my dirtbike tires with mousse. For the RZR I use tire irons and jump on it. I have a large compressor. I would guess most UTV owners have at least portable compressor. A UTV version Rabaconda would be a good idea.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For anyone that keeps an assortment of tires 🙄 or changes them often the Bead Buster is invaluable. Used with an impact wrench and you can have the tire off quickly. It's small and easily stored without taking up space. One of the best tools you'll own. 👍
I bought the beadbuster after joe mentioned it on another thread. I use it 2 or 3 times a week changing tpms sensors. Love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
...A UTV version Rabaconda would be a good idea.
Well, thanks for opening that box! 😄

And let me be now totally transparent why the initial question. We're trying to figure out how people change their tires and if there's room for improvement. At last (real) AIMEXPO in Columbus Ohio we were approached by a lot of people asking why don't we have an ATV/UTV tire changer as well? We thought HF's and BB got that nicely covered.

And that's still the doubt if there would be demand for one that's electricity powered tire changer, air compressor powered bead breaker, weighs around 70lbs, can be packed up and stored on a shelf...?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I have tried to break a bead on a quad tire using my tractor bucket front tires off the ground and all....no luck, cheap Harbor Freight tire changer bead breaker BOOM it's done in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Supermidg what are you putting on the wheel to keep from scratching? I just put tape on the star thing. I like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok, so I've put together few questions to get the picture right of what you are saying...

Would it be a stupid idea to put a link here in this thread to a 5-7min questionnaire about your preferences regarding the tire change? If it's a wrong idea or violates any policies, just let me know, I'll close this chapter 😊

·
Registered
22 Posts
Supermidg what are you putting on the wheel to keep from scratching? I just put tape on the star thing. I like that.

To keep the piece locking the wheel down from scratching the wheel i had just a foam seat cushion i had laying around and a roll of painters tape. And wherever the bar scratched the lip while i was working the tire on i just touched up the black paint. I need to get a non marring bar but was just working with what i had on hand.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts