Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could go back and do something different when you bought your trailer what would it be? Tandem, longer, shorter, enclosed, lighter ??? The reason I ask is because I just purchased a RZR-S and i am shopping for a trailer. What do you like or dislike about your trailer. What do you wish you had? Thanks for any ideas.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
first rule of trailers is no one is perfect. some days it could be shorter and some days longer.
Decide what else you will do and make a good decision from there.
Ideally a 16' as shown allows you to haul most cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
We have a 7x14 all aluminum V-nosetandem axle enclosed. We camp in it and also haul the RZR and move furniture for the kids every now and then. I wish it was 16 feet long. I love the 7 wide, because it stays within the confines of the truck I hardly know its back there!

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Well, I have 3 trailers.
a 8.5x28ft Enclosed car hauler that we camp in as well
a 7x14 enclosed single axle I wish was a tandem for shorter trips
a 7x21ft 14k rated flatbed for whatever else comes along.

If I could only have one? An enclosed, High clearance, 10k rated 21ft race car trailer to do everything I need.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
.... and do something different..... what would it be? ...
same one - if it were RZR only - same one - hidden features: 3x5 rails, 12" on center, brakes, waterproof wiring, greasable suspension, 6 position ball, weight distribution, stainless throughout, back-up lights......

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just downgraded last weekend from a Load Trail 16ft tandem axle that was super beefy to a much lighter BigTex 12ft 35SA. That trailer was really good to me though for 6 years and lots of miles so hope my luck is as good with this one. Didn't make sense anymore to pull around all the extra weight (gas mileage), not long enough for my two SxS anyways (unless get real creative), the single axle is SO much easier to manuever (can do by hand now ... before used a trailer dolly and tough to turn ... I pull out Toy Hauler in storage and put utility trailer in its spot), and takes up a bit less room in my side yard when not in use. Features I had to have were 15in wheels, decent tires, 3500lb axle, and easy lube hubs as it will also see alot of miles and higher speeds in AZ plus really wanted one with recessed lights. For me, it also needed to have a low angle ramp one way or another as my Hayabusa RZR bottoms on typical angles and the short approach/angle makes it tough to load it up under power with a clutch. Was shocked and lucky the first place I went had the perfect trailer for me as had a dove tail which I think is really rare in this length and its similar color as my truck LOL. I like the shorter 1/2 length gate as very easy to open/close for the wife too yet is still a gate so mentally I dont worry about loosing my ride out the back LOL. I also like the tubular rails ... less abusive on wheels/sand tires if you get too close and rub the rails. Just enough extra room for the 7in longer Hayabusa RZR I have and still a couple feet for coolers/gas cans strapped to rear gate on the dove tail. Had them add some extra tie down loops upfront and it already had a spare tire mount which is important. The only thing I dont like so far is the front jack ... slow and awekward to turn and does not swing up ... easy to switch to something else though. Just hope it is fairly stable at highway speed as more axles does really help with this and dont want to load backwards.

This trailer with my Toy Hauler works well as I leave my Toy Hauler stored at the dunes with one RZR in it usually and bring one home usually alternating to clean/service. Long term I might go to a standard RV and and enclosed trailer to hold two RZRs and the small utility to drag one home but only if really necessary.

old vs. new angle ... hard to tell ... but it is much better angle even with a 1/2 gate

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
I have a 6X10' tilt bed trailer and I really like it. I would have however gone with one about a foot longer in order to move the axle back a few inches. If I load mine on it front first, it tries to road walk at highway speeds due to too little tongue weight. Rear first loading is perfect as far as balance and towability goes. The issue is with high headwinds and having to watch my half windshield trying to blow out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So much depends on what else you need to use it for. If it is just used for the RZR, then you also need to think about what kind of distances you are going to travel and if secure over night storeage is important.

I love my enclosed 10 foot, but I had to chop the roll bar 5 inches for the RZR to fit in, so keep that in mind. I have a aluminum snowmobile trailer for my other uncut RZR, but don't like pulling it uncoved, if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just bought a Aluma trailer, UT12 they just came out with it this year, 12' deck v nose with rock guard and built in storage box, overall 19' and the deck is 71.5" wide, the ramp slides in under the deck like some of the snowmobile trailers so it doesn't catch the wind. It also comes in a 10' deck, but i thought the extra 2' would be nice to have. The UT12 is 19' long 93" wide overall, the deck is 71.5" wide, deck height 18.5" and weighs 760 lbs. 100% aluminum, 3000 lbs axle. I pick up my xp next week it looks like, then i'll know how it handles some weight.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
Recently "because of my Father In Law, see below" I talked to a long time Trailer MFG and Seller locally about the fold up ramps. He backed up what I had been told by some guys several times over the last few years, that the fold up expanded metal ramps were just like pulling a sheet of plywood standing up down the road. Seems like the air gets so turbulent in, around and through the expanded metal that it is almost solid.

A month ago my Father in Law came pulling in with a 12 foot trailer with a expanded metal fold up ramp, and he said it sucked the fuel on his New Ford Turbo Pickup, I had called BS on it, and on his return trip home 150 miles he had me help him lay the ramp down in the bed of the Trailer before he left, well he called about half way and stated his fuel economy went back to normal.

So I guess the Fold up ramps are not good, and that is why allot of MFG's are going to the fold in half rear ramps. I sold my last trailer with a fold up ramp and went back to just using ramps, and when pulling the RZR behind the RV I use a tilt bed trailer.

I am like others, I have three different Trailers for the RZR's, ATV's. A 18foot single axle, will haul two ATVs and one Rzr or two Rzr's. Second one is a 8ft Tilt Bed single axle, just to pull one RZR behind the Fifth Wheel RV. And lastly a small 6foot very light single axle that hauls just one ATV, can tow one ATV behind my run around Car a Honda Accord with ease.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I bought a 6x9 used steel one without the built in ramp. I would like the aluminum on with the ramp. Looks like it would just be easier to move around.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Weekend Warrior LE 3505. Perfect trailer for us.

Holds 2 RZRs front to back, or 1 RZR and 3 quads.

3 queen beds, 1 full. 20 gallons for the generator, 40 gallons for the fuel station.

Best part - NO TV!!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I started out with a 5'x10' Big Tex single axle. I could *just* squeeze the RZR S on it, and the side rails rubbed the rear tires. This worked well for a while, but I didn't like the tires rubbing. After about a year I bought a 7'x14' Road Force enclosed trailer with tandem axles and brakes. This trailer has treated me very well. I installed d-rings in the floor for tie downs, and built myself a set of ramps (no ramp door, but the price was right). The only complaint I have about my enclosed trailer is that I wish it was 18' long. I'll probably be swapping out for a 16'-18' open trailer in the not-too-distant future, to make it easier to carry all our stuff and save some weight (with the camper on the truck and the trailer loaded up I'm awfully close to my GVRW). For the towing I do, this is my list of must haves:

* Brakes
* 2 axles
* Integrated ramps of some sort, either a drop gate or ramps that can be stowed on the trailer
* Wheels outside the deck
* Side rails or stake pockets

Would be nice to have, but aren't deal breakers:

* Aluminum construction
* Folding jack
* Torsion axles

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have a 6'4" x 16 utility trailer. I love it. We have had 4 Honda Foreman 500's on it. I also use it to haul the occasional vehicle and my small Mahindra Tractor. If I had it to do over I would have bought the 6'10" wide. Had it for 10 years and just had to redeck it. 1 wheel bearing and 1 set of tires.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you don't like the ramp up in the air, like myself look at the aluma ut12, ut10. It slides under the trailer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a 6x12 Triton aluminum trailer....its perfect for what I need it for...and its aluminum...lightweight...and wont rust here in good old upstate ny..I do wish I would have bought a bigger trailer tandem axle to fit 2 machines on.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Wish I'd of got this instead of just a 24' enclosed no living quarters....

Enclosed Trailers - Millennium Trailer For Sale 0070
That Millennium is exactly what I have been looking for, but used.

I found one, a 2005 but the guy wants $21,500. Then he showed me the build sheet. I guess he forgot the price was on the last page.
He paid $19,800.

He knocked off a few thousand if he kept the generator and 2 1/2" hitch set up.

I have seen simalar trailers for $10,000 to $15,000 but they are all back east.

Well I will keep looking, I will not over pay no matter how much I like it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts