Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR XP4 1000 Premium
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving it on a dry lake bed going around 45mph and it starting bogging down like a carbureted atv and then i slowed down to a stop and it shut off. I tried to start it in park and it started and tried to put in gear and it grined the gears a bunch and it stalled out. Then i tried again and put it fast into gear and just grinded gears but stalled out after i let go of the brake pedal. Anyone know what the problem can be?

·
Registered
Polaris 2021 Pro XP 4 Premium
794 Posts
Belt/clutch? Just a guess...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Without more info ( year miles hours, recent repairs, etc, etc) you will only get guesses and speculation.

I have to agree w / EricB on the clutch based on description of issue. Had similar symptoms on my machine. Bearing in primary seized.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I would agree also clutching-
Pull the clutch outer cover, put it in neutral, start it up.
Check to see if the secondary spins. It should not spin at idle unless you throttle up enough to engage the primary then it will engage the secondary.
If it spins ( the secondary) with no throttle then the primary bushing that the belt rides on could be bad, or belt alignment is off .
Remove the belt and see if the primary belt bushing is locked up- it should rotate back and forth with little to no friction.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without more info ( year miles hours, recent repairs, etc, etc) you will only get guesses and speculation.

I have to agree w / EricB on the clutch based on description of issue. Had similar symptoms on my machine. Bearing in primary seized.
2020 XP41k 3071 miles 323 engine hours

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check to see if the secondary spins. It should not spin at idle unless you throttle up enough to engage the primary then it will engage the secondary.
If it spins ( the secondary) with no throttle then the primary bushing that the belt rides on could be bad, or belt alignment is off .
Remove the belt and see if the primary belt bushing is locked up- it should rotate back and forth with little to no friction.
Secondary does spin at idle. Will pull secondary off later today to see the issue

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Rim

Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
-2013 800 Rzr S 2021 1000 XP TRE
151 Posts
Primary sticking Just few months ago someone had this happen to them. Maybe @Aewbank can chime in on if any of those suggestions were his problem. As you will see from his photos his primary wouldn't fully disengage either.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Yikes !! @elrzrxp
Take the belt off and check that primary- it should not have the weights engaged like that when it's shut off.
You can take the 6 bolts off and remove the cover & the spring in the primary and check why the weights are in the full open position. ( but after you remove the belt )

Remember to re-install with the X on the cover and the X on the spider aligned with each other for balance.

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,461 Posts
Alternatively, the secondary might have internal damage preventing it from closing any further, keeping the belt down in the secondary, preventing the primary from opening up. But a stuck weight/roller in primary could also be the problem; I agree with @turboedsupe , both clutches need to come off for inspection and rebuild or just replace the faulty one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
looks like the primary weight has overtraveled and stuck on the roller, most likely the roller is broke or badly worn most likley just need new rollers and pins that hold them in place seen this happen before if stranded hit the weight to get it back in plaec and drive back slowly so it does not come all the way back up to this position

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah the issue is the primary.. Likely could smack that weight with a small hammer or whatever, it'll most likely slam back into place releasing the belt and allowing the primary to separate. Which should allow you to gently drive it a little. If not, you'll probably need a clutch puller to get it apart without cutting the belt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts