Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
In the turbo s versions the higher gearing is the killer is what Adam was telling me as least for those wanting to run 32 inch paddles and a tune. Even his setup is not reliable with that combo he said. Need to do a gear reduction kit.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
Does only the turbo S have the higher gearing? I just bought a 2019 XPT4, not the "S" model. Is mine geared lower then a S?

We have our first trip planned for May 4th and we are headed to the OR dunes for a week and I don't want our first vacation ruined by blown belts. Unfortunately I cant test the thing before we go.. I currently have a AA S3 clutch kit but reading all these threads has me worried that I should just call Airdam and be done with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In the turbo s versions the higher gearing is the killer is what Adam was telling me as least for those wanting to run 32 inch paddles and a tune. Even his setup is not reliable with that combo he said. Need to do a gear reduction kit.

Does only the turbo S have the higher gearing? I just bought a 2019 XPT4, not the "S" model. Is mine geared lower then a S?

We have our first trip planned for May 4th and we are headed to the OR dunes for a week and I don't want our first vacation ruined by blown belts. Unfortunately I cant test the thing before we go.. I currently have a AA S3 clutch kit but reading all these threads has me worried that I should just call Airdam and be done with it.
you have a couple weeks get a razorback belt temp gauge and try to keep the belt under 230 at least. under 200 is ideal.
you wont have a ruined weekend, due to any belts at least!!

·
Standard Vendor
1,530 Posts

Yes they change the gearing in 17'. It is higher and guys that like to rock crawl are changing low range at a minimum. That being said 95% of users will be fine with a clutch kit and some additional cooling. Don't let one experience ruin your fun... Stock OEM belts still seems to be the way to go so get yourself a spare and have fun.

I hesitate to add this but... We just released our new CVT "Blaster" for the Turbo "S" and standard 2019 Turbo. They all share a new cover design with the main intake now centered over the Secondary. The new design boasts more cooling, but our testing has not seen a dramatic difference from the 16' - 18' covers. We were the first to offer a stand alone system that adds an additional volume of cooling air with proven results. We are not a fan of any blower or system that adds something inline with the stock system. It may be a benefit if you run low and slow all of the time, but that's it. Letting the stock intake do its jobs and adding additional cooling is the way to go. The other added benefit to our system is what we like to call a void killer..... The stock system performs well, but only if your running along with some rpm. when you slow or stop the stock system really drops off in efficiency, then heat soak of the belt and drives start to elevate temps quickly. Having additional high velocity air being directed at the belt and drive at all time reduces those effects.

On a side note... we have seen many of these turbo trying to max out the rpm range, and we have seen failures from stock set ups, upgraded secondaries, as well a full blow race set up as described here. The discussion always comes back to max rpm. Those that push the 8,000 rpm window seem to have issues with heat and belts, those that keep it down around 7,900 rpm seem to reduce those issues dramatically.
Regards,

Turbo S Blaster

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,108 Posts
Yes they change the gearing in 17'.

Sorry to ask again, did they change the gearing for ALL turbos or just the "S" model?

All of them

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts
Socalbighead, we are getting a plastic washer or spacer cut now that will go on top of the stock black one.

Sounds good, I'm assuming that additional spacer will mean less MPH but no belt over travel?
No not really, lets assume your vehicle is supposed run to 90, but overtravel has it at 92 and the washer is taking away 2 you are where you are supposed to be.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,108 Posts
So I have a 18 xp4 turbo dyanmix. in the sand I run 30 inch paddles. dirt I run 32 mongrels on a 14 inch beadlock rim. I have the AA stage 3 clutch kit with high load helix. belt temps will constantly be above 230 in the sand. when I am 55+ in the dirt the belt hits 220 and keeps climbing the longer I stay on it. I have done the Blowhole, which doesn't help at all with belt temps while WOT, only helps when sitting there at idle, letting the belt cool quicker. (in my opinion)
I did the BMP Cyclone primary clutch cover to try and get more CFM
tuned, level 2 with Gibson exhaust
engine is 100% stock

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO FOR COOLER BELT TEMPS?????

STM clutch? air dam clutch? some special mod I haven't seen or heard of? My clutch needs more fine tuning perhaps?
Its annoying that we spend all this money on a toy that your supposed to run hard but cant cause the rubber band driving the whole thing gets hot and explodes (in a nut shell), and then spend more money on mods that should help the situation but come up short. :crying

Share your wisdom!! Thanks:grin
You ever make any progress? Try that teal spring at all? asking for a friend lol

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've also read to remove primary, then torque to spec. I pulled my 16 primary and just tightened it without a toque wrench and presto had my first belt failure in the trail. You can over tighten and get clutches out of alignment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I have a 18 xp4 turbo dyanmix. in the sand I run 30 inch paddles. dirt I run 32 mongrels on a 14 inch beadlock rim. I have the AA stage 3 clutch kit with high load helix. belt temps will constantly be above 230 in the sand. when I am 55+ in the dirt the belt hits 220 and keeps climbing the longer I stay on it. I have done the Blowhole, which doesn't help at all with belt temps while WOT, only helps when sitting there at idle, letting the belt cool quicker. (in my opinion)
I did the BMP Cyclone primary clutch cover to try and get more CFM
tuned, level 2 with Gibson exhaust
engine is 100% stock

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO FOR COOLER BELT TEMPS?????

STM clutch? air dam clutch? some special mod I haven't seen or heard of? My clutch needs more fine tuning perhaps?
Its annoying that we spend all this money on a toy that your supposed to run hard but cant cause the rubber band driving the whole thing gets hot and explodes (in a nut shell), and then spend more money on mods that should help the situation but come up short. :crying

Share your wisdom!! Thanks:grin
You ever make any progress? Try that teal spring at all? asking for a friend lol
No luck sadly. I installed the teal spring with the AA high load helix, punch it to 60-65 then keep the mph there on flat ground, dirt, at 3500 elevation(if that matters) and belt temps just kept climbing
200 in less than 20 seconds, and kept going to 230 before I let off
primary had 4-4-3 on the weights. SO...…..

removed the teal spring, installed the AA purple secondary spring, removed high load helix and installed factory Polaris helix. Belt temps seem to hold at 180-190 and still climb but takes WAY longer to get there. So just gonna roll like this until I can swing the money for a airdam and go that route, i'm done with band aids…….
hope others have better luck :|...Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So i ordered this kit. Got everything from my local dealer for 225 after tax. They offer a 20% discount on all OEM parts
Man i sure hope this is the answer to the high belt temps on my 18 turbo 4
Needed a new belt, so even if i dont see better belts temps, it will still be kinda worth it..haha

Has anyone tried the kit yet with any luck? better temps on their guage?

Thanks

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts