Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
XP4 900 & 30” GBC-MS Kanati Mongrel’s?

I have an XP4 with a SDR cage and the SBD kit from Alba (Thanks Nate!). Anyway I was looking to put some new wheels/tires on my ride. Obviously im pushing some more horsepower with the new cams… Currently I have an issue keeping my big horns hooked up in the desert, stepping on the gas seems to break them loose… So I am wondering what your thoughts are on running larger 14’ rims/30” tires are?

I’m leaning towards a larger tires for more:
Clearance (I constantly seem to high center are dragged my pan in the desert over rocks/hill peaks),
and
More top end speed (at the bottom end my tires break loose)
also
I LOVE the look of these larger tires, it makes a side by side look more like a car or a buggy, especially with a nice cage like mine (Thanks Tim).
I have paddles for the dunes and I don’t ride in the mud much here in SoCal.

I'm sure I’ll have to cut/drill the front fenders back a little, BUT PLEASE, Let me know your thoughts, before I buy and attempt to squeeze these tires in.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: XP4 900 & 30” GBC-MS Kanati Mongrel’s?

just put these on friday. there the 30" mongrels. stock machine. i went out around the house to see if i could get them to rub and couldn't, even at full turn. now i wasn't going fast or anything but from what i can tell now i might be ok. i know a lot of guys are doing a fender mod or something, i tried to research that on here and couldn't find it anywhere. i love the tires and all the research for two months i've done on them it has been nothing but good. i got them from SXS performance and they were awesome to deal with, great price, great service, had them on my doorstep in two days...

·
Registered
425 Posts

and it gave me a pure 3" more ground clearance than i had before. so it's what i was looking for, no lift. the ride is still awesome. here's some pics of the tire size difference. 30" x 10 x 14" on methos wheels which i also got from SXS performance.

·
The Honey Badger
281 Posts

I have a buddy that went with the 30" mongrels on 14x7 sti beadlocks on his xp4 and he had to majorly trim the front fenders, ended up running the fender flairs off a 50" rzr (would have had to cut a good chunk out of the stock ones to the point it would look awful), and it still slightly rubs on the frame when turning while compressed. At full compression the front tires also rubbed the top of the fender. Also the rear tire on the drivers side got into the intake box (not the actual intake of course, just past the prefilter) just above the wheel breaking off the drain, and rubbing a hole in the bottom of the box. All suspension was stock, didn't crank up preload to try to clear the 30's

·
Registered
67 Posts

I run different tires but they are 30" and mine rubbed on the front fenders really bad. I ended up putting the +2" foward A-arms on and it took care of the rubbing issues.

·
RINO CRASHER
314 Posts

Hi Guys
I have the 30" Kanati Mongrels on my LE 900XP and had some rubbing issues but the fix was easy, Took sawzall to inside plastic areas where the rubbing occured and then moved flares as far backward as possible it seems like it was 1 1/2" or so and never had another problem i can take pictures tommorrow if you want to see it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi Guys
I have the 30" Kanati Mongrels on my LE 900XP and had some rubbing issues but the fix was easy, Took sawzall to inside plastic areas where the rubbing occured and then moved flares as far backward as possible it seems like it was 1 1/2" or so and never had another problem i can take pictures tommorrow if you want to see it
so you moved the lower fender mount bolt hole back 1.5 inches and cut the plastic down, then re mounted your fender?

how many miles do you have on your tires now? Do you get any rubbing when turning and the suspension compresses? can you comment on performance loss?

yes I'd love to see some photos
thanks again for your input

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a buddy that went with the 30" mongrels on 14x7 sti beadlocks on his xp4 and he had to majorly trim the front fenders, ended up running the fender flairs off a 50" rzr (would have had to cut a good chunk out of the stock ones to the point it would look awful), and it still slightly rubs on the frame when turning while compressed. At full compression the front tires also rubbed the top of the fender. Also the rear tire on the drivers side got into the intake box (not the actual intake of course, just past the prefilter) just above the wheel breaking off the drain, and rubbing a hole in the bottom of the box. All suspension was stock, didn't crank up preload to try to clear the 30's
this was on a xp4 900?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

just put these on friday. there the 30" mongrels. stock machine. i went out around the house to see if i could get them to rub and couldn't, even at full turn. now i wasn't going fast or anything but from what i can tell now i might be ok. i know a lot of guys are doing a fender mod or something, i tried to research that on here and couldn't find it anywhere. i love the tires and all the research for two months i've done on them it has been nothing but good. i got them from SXS performance and they were awesome to deal with, great price, great service, had them on my doorstep in two days...
I would maybe take a soft tie ratchet strap and try to compress suspension down to see if it rubs as you turn??

·
Registered
249 Posts

I have a set of 30" mongrels on sti beadlocks sitting in the garage. Putting them on my xp4 tomorrow. I'll be doing the fender mod as well probably. I'll take pics.

·
Registered
815 Posts

What about clutching? The worry i have with going to a 30" tire, is they clutch kit will basically be a mudder clutch weights, which would kill top end, and duning.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

Get an adjustable weight clutch kit and you will not loose any top speed. You will actually gain top speed because the overall top gearing is higher with bigger tires. Add a turbo with 30 inch tires on an XP 4 and you have the best of all worlds. I am loving it!

·
Registered
249 Posts

What about clutching? The worry i have with going to a 30" tire, is they clutch kit will basically be a mudder clutch weights, which would kill top end, and duning.
I ordered the Dalton kit from Hunterworks. Should be here soon.

·
Registered
425 Posts

so i'm finding i'm rubbing on the inside, not the fender itself, like where the foot well is, square part....

·
Registered
689 Posts

If its rubbing there, you need forward arms.

·
Registered
249 Posts

so i'm finding i'm rubbing on the inside, not the fender itself, like where the foot well is, square part....
What wheels and offset are you running?

·
Registered
425 Posts

no...sorry.....i just realized this is a XP4 topic.....i have a 2010 800 4 seater.....i have 30" mongrels with a 4-3 offset all the way around by the way..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.