Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Are you running with the front sway bar disconnected?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RZR XP 1000
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I should disconnect/remove my front sway bar. I'd like to see what others are doing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ditched mine after my first few miles and never looked back. You can always disconnect it without removing and taking a test drive. I left the rear on of course.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 xpt4
305 Posts
If u just unhook one side and tie it back u will see how its going to ride. Took mine off after first ride

·
Premium Member
2014 RZR XP1000
2,038 Posts
It all depends on the type of riding you do.
I don't have one one my XP1K cuz it didn't come with one (The older XP1K's didn't come with them)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
@thebigoutside called it. It all depends on the type of riding you do. I average 5-6 MPH in rocky, technical terrain. My X3 performed better with the front sway bar disconnected. My TRE, more comparably equipped for rock crawling, performs better and it didn't come with a front sway bar. But if you do a lot of high speed cornering, you might prefer to keep it connected. Like others have said, you can disconnect it temporarily and test it out. Furthermore, I believe there are aftermarket quick disconnects which can give you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should disconnect/remove my front sway bar. I'd like to see what others are doing.
Depends....what type of riding you do. If it is faster style riding, keep it. If it is slower and more technical, remove it.

My '17 XP didn't even come with a front sway bar. I ride rough Ozark mountain trails. A front sway bar would be a hindrance. Even the back one is too much for me, so I installed Walker Evans sway bar links on the rear sway bar.

Do an experiment, disconnect it and ride, see what you think. You'll have to adjust your suspension some when you do because it all works together.

·
Registered
2021 RZR XP 1000
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends....what type of riding you do. If it is faster style riding, keep it. If it is slower and more technical, remove it.

My '17 XP didn't even come with a front sway bar. I ride rough Ozark mountain trails. A front sway bar would be a hindrance. Even the back one is too much for me, so I installed Walker Evans sway bar links on the rear sway bar.

Do an experiment, disconnect it and ride, see what you think. You'll have to adjust your suspension some when you do because it all works together.
I plan to try it connected and disconnected for sure. I was looking at the Walker Evans sway bar links. What do you think of them? Would you characterize them as a middle ground between sway bar installed and sway bar disconnected?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I plan to try it connected and disconnected for sure. I was looking at the Walker Evans sway bar links. What do you think of them? Would you characterize them as a middle ground between sway bar installed and sway bar disconnected?
I really like my WE sway bar links. They fit my riding style well. If you've ever experienced an XP with no sway bars its unpleasant unless it's rough and really slow. So the WE links seem to be a nice in-between.

My friend replaced a bolt on the sway bar connector with an implement pin for farm equipment. He pulls it out when it gets slow and technical. That does work well, but not very convenient.

·
Registered
2021 RZR XP 1000
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
swaybars depends on how you ride. We ride big rocks and ruts. More crawling type riding than anything else. We have our front and rears off. @SuperATV has a cool sway bar link that adds some travel.
I was watching some of your videos and you guys rock......get it......ok bad dad joke. Honestly though you guys look like you are having a blast.

·
Registered
2021 RZR XP 1000
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like my WE sway bar links. They fit my riding style well. If you've ever experienced an XP with no sway bars its unpleasant unless it's rough and really slow. So the WE links seem to be a nice in-between.

My friend replaced a bolt on the sway bar connector with an implement pin for farm equipment. He pulls it out when it gets slow and technical. That does work well, but not very convenient.
Good to know, thanks.

Does your friend disconnect at the top or bottom of the link? Does he zip tie it out of the way? Any problems with incidental contact while disconnected?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

Does your friend disconnect at the top or bottom of the link? Does he zip tie it out of the way? Any problems with incidental contact while disconnected?
He disconnects from the trailing arm and ties it up with something. No contact issues.

·
Premium Member
2014 RZR XP1000
2,038 Posts
That's a good idea! May have to do that to mine!

·
6,701 Posts
We normally chuck the front sway bars into the scrap pile as soon as they come into the shop. Like others have said, it really depends on your riding style. If you're a speed racer and throwing it hard into corners, you may want to leave it. If not, it'll ride smoother and you'll get more articulation without them. The rear sway bar shock is also an awesome addition to allow for a better ride, more articulation, and also feeling more planted and stable than running without the rear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I disconnect both my front and rear sway bar. I like it a lot better for rock crawling, etc, but, you will notice some leaning when driving faster around corners, especially with 4 passengers if you have a 4-seater. All good though, you just need to be aware.

·
Registered
2016 XP4 1000
6 Posts
It also depends how much weight you have up top i.e. roof rack and gear, spare tire etc. = top heavy body roll.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts