Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I believe the issue with an XP 1000 diff would be the mismatch of gesr ratios being too far apart.

But call Jeff at JJ and A Racing Products and ask him. He'll be able to answer that question.

Pirate

·
Registered
11 Posts
What am I doing wrong that nobody else has had issues with???

I have a 2008 RZR 800. I just bought a brand new 2014 900XP front diff to do this swap. I grinded the steering rack and achieved the clearance, but it won't line up with the holes on the mounting plate... It appears that the drive shaft is about 3/4" too long.

I can't get the drive shaft off the transmission prop and I can't push the shaft closer to the transmission. It just wiggles forward and back about 1/4".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone tell me if that U joint is as far back as it can go? The exposed part of the prop shaft is smooth round and I can see the inside of the U joint is splined. I don't understand if the splines on the prop are larger than the shaft itself or smaller. If they are smaller, then I will not be able to push it back without trimming the end of the U joint. If they are larger, then the shaft should be able to push back... I just don't know why I can't get them to separate. There must be a pressure ring on the shaft that doesn't want to give....

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Michael,

The rear U-joint will slip back far enough to get the front yoke off the front diff.

Which step are you at in the change?

If you're just getting started, remember you have to drive the roll pin out of the front yoke...it passes through the pinion shaft.

Make sure the rear U-joint is well greased, that will help push any debris out of the splines and help the prop shaft move rearward.

Just thoughts...

Pirate

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the old diff out. I'm just trying to pull the drive shaft off the transmission now. For some reason it is stuck. Won't pull off and won't push any further onto the transmission shaft than what you see in the picture. I need it to push back another 3/4" so the new 900xp diff will bolt down.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the old diff out. I'm just trying to pull the drive shaft off the transmission now. For some reason it is stuck. Won't pull off and won't push any further onto the transmission shaft than what you see in the picture. I need it to push back another 3/4" so the new 900xp diff will bolt down.
It will push back much further on the splines but you are going to have to get some grease pumped in it. Even once it is well-greased, it will be snug because there is a rubber seal in the yoke that you will be forcing over the male splines of the transfer case shaft. Don't be afraid to wail on the front end of the propshaft with a rubber hammer or a large plastic hammer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alright, I will soak it in PB Blaster tonight and try to get it to break loose tomorrow. Are the splines on the yoke larger than the diameter of the yoke shaft, or are the splines cut into the yoke shaft? If they are cut into the shaft then that would make a big difference...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alright, I will soak it in PB Blaster tonight and try to get it to break loose tomorrow. Are the splines on the yoke larger than the diameter of the yoke shaft, or are the splines cut into the yoke shaft? If they are cut into the shaft then that would make a big difference...
I may be calling these pieces the wrong names. When I say yoke shaft, I'm talking about the shaft that comes out of the transfer case. I'm just wondering if it is possible that the splines inside the drive shaft have no more room to go back further due to the splines on the shaft not being long enough.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, of coarse the shaft behind the splines is necked down... otherwise the yoke would not push further back... it WILL push further back... hundreds of people have already done this exact same retrofit ;-}

Again, even once it is well-greased, it will be snug because there is a rubber seal in the yoke that you will be forcing over the male splines of the transfer case shaft.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Nope, the front driveshaft's rear yoke is designed to slide back far enough to slip the front yoke off the front diff. So it goes quite a ways back.

Rather than PB, pump it with a grease gun until grease comes out both ends.

Then slide it back. Since you have the front diff out... you can pull the front driveshaft off the Trans output shaft, then clean the output shaft and the yoke.

Then put a coat of grease on the spines, slip the yoke on, then pump it with a grease gun until you start to see grease out the end... and you're set.

Pirate

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Michael,

One more thing...please go in and put your year and model RZR in your profile. Helps us help you.

At this point in your post...I don't see the first page...so I don't remember if you told us what you had or not...

Just sayin'

Pirate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Michael,

One more thing...please go in and put your year and model RZR in your profile. Helps us help you.

At this point in your post...I don't see the first page...so I don't remember if you told us what you had or not...

Just sayin'

Pirate
Gotcha! Thanks for all your help! I don't know what I would have done without it. BTW, I have a 2008 RZR 800. Bought it brand new September of 2007. I think the only thing still original on it now is the frame, motor, and transmission. Its a never ending project!

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I have an 09 RZR 800.

So you do have to do a bit of grinding on the steering rack brackets.

But look carefully and make sure there 1/8" clearance between the diff housing and everything else.

I seem to recall that I had to do some grinding two or three places to get clearance. I was amazed the diff housing is pretty soft, so where there wasn't clearance it grooved the housing just setting the wheels on the floor.

So look closely!

Pirate

·
Registered
36 Posts
Front diff grenaded on my 2009 RZR (non-S). Ive read everything posted previously so no questions about fitting. My ONLY question is regarding price. Since price went well above the $850 that was posted at the beginning of this thread, can anyone recommend someone?
Thanks,
Jim in AK

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Jim,

Yes, I can make a recommendation on fabulous Hilliard diff for your 2009!

Contact Jeff at http://www.jjandaracing.com/

He takes 2014 XP900 front diffs, brand new, the blueprints them to bring clearances from as high as 0.040" down to 0.0005". The blueprinting costs $100 extra....best money I spent.

You will get instructions on where to grind a bit off the steering rack brackets. But its not difficult. With the wheels off and the hub disconnected at the top, you can easily take the front diff in and out of the frame. That way you do can do the grinding, put the diff in the frame, check, remove, grind, install check, etc. Until you get a little clearance everywhere.

My diff was in good shape just very noisy when crossing a snow bank and the diff would engage, drop out, engage, drop out...all the way across. So I talked to Jeff, bought a blue printed diff and installed it. I yet to even here it engage or disengage, it just works!!

Pirate

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every one-Have 2008 800 RZR and I finally need a front diff. What if anything has changed up until today for a retro fit? Last recommended was a 2014 XP 900 RZR diff with clearance work? Lots of general info. This is 2017 is there anything newer/better/stronger/updated that has come along for this swap? Will it fit as easy as the 2014? Will it work in the old 2008/800. Have you done it?
What other parts should Murphy have on hand to do this swap?
eg. new roll pin for pinion to drive shaft yoke? Polaris PN?
new rubber o ring for drive shaft? Polaris PN?
Part #'s for 4 new longer base bolts? Will grade 8 stuff work or be too brittle? If not what is the precise length? Does that include length for washers (grade8) or will they fit or work?
Please list them all or anything else that may break or disappear during the swap. It is a long way to the dealer here and we have special Canadian prices for everything it seems. Its an old drive shaft now so who makes the best parts for the best prices for universals etc? Thanks for any help you can give and happy new year Bri

141 - 159 of 159 Posts