Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Denver, CO - 303-400-0205
2,103 Posts
My understanding is that to run a 2011+ diff in a 2008-2010, you need to also shorten the propshaft, or replace it with the later one.

We ordered all the parts to do this in a 2009 RZR S, just waiting for them to show up to make sure it is that simple.

I found this thread when researching this, it has some good photos:

http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/42355-2011-rzr-front-diff-changes.html

·
Registered
429 Posts
i see some confusion with some answers here.... first 08-10 800 vs a xp 900 front diff they are differant the xp is larger and as said it will fit with some triming wile your 11 800-4 may be the same this doesnt mean all are also is a non 4 2011 the same? it could be they put the bigger diff in the 4 seaters.
the parts i listed are for the 2 seater ... 2010 and up xp,2 seater 4 seater are the same ... excatlly the same except for the cage inside.

The 2009 and down are different , totaly different but i too have read on here that they can be used in a 2010 up ..

·
King of crash!
31,883 Posts
i see some confusion with some answers here.... first 08-10 800 vs a xp 900 front diff they are differant the xp is larger and as said it will fit with some triming wile your 11 800-4 may be the same this doesnt mean all are also is a non 4 2011 the same? it could be they put the bigger diff in the 4 seaters.
the parts i listed are for the 2 seater ... 2010 and up xp,2 seater 4 seater are the same ... excatlly the same except for the cage inside.

The 2009 and down are different , totaly different but i too have read on here that they can be used in a 2010 up ..
i know all the xp are the same i was talking about the 800 you said your 800 diff is the same as the xp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fun4,

It would be interesting to see what you find in the shattered housing. A lot of what has been seen, and I have one in the shop, is that the pinion nut comes loose, the pinion moves deeper into the ring gear, gets wedged and then the rotation forces the pinion down and shatters the housing.

Would be interesting to see what caused yours. Pictures maybe?

Thanks,

Pirate
This is the only pic that I will have due to it being under warranty. I couldnt get in there to get a really good pic. Hopefully it loads. rzr differential.JPG

·
2,103 Posts

I believe that 2008 and 2009 are the same, in 2010 they added the metal carrier but kept the same housing, and in 2011 they completely changed the housing.

Here are the parts diagrams from Polaris:

2008-2009:

2010:

2011-2013 800:

2011-2013 XP(including jagged X:

·
King of crash!
31,883 Posts
My understanding is that to run a 2011+ diff in a 2008-2010, you need to also shorten the propshaft, or replace it with the later one.

We ordered all the parts to do this in a 2009 RZR S, just waiting for them to show up to make sure it is that simple.

http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/42355-2011-rzr-front-diff-changes.html
according to hawk the diff change is in 2011 not 2010 and trust me hawk knows his stuff

·
King of crash!
31,883 Posts

I believe that 2008 and 2009 are the same, in 2010 they added the metal carrier but kept the same housing, and in 2011 they completely changed the housing.

Here are the parts diagrams from Polaris:

2008-2009:

2010:

2011-2013 800:

2011-2013 XP(including jagged X:
ok it shows 2010 as the smaller diff still so the larger is a 2011 and up thing... alot of internal changes for the better too huge size increas on the pinion bearing that was a weak spot

·
Registered
429 Posts

according to hawk the diff change is in 2011 not 2010 and trust me hawk knows his stuff

sorry you are right i meant to say 2011 and up ... 2010 and down are differnt ... just look at the part numbers and you can see for yourself...

·
2,103 Posts
The polaris parts catalog has all of those diagrams, plus exploded views of each different differential. There are some cool things to learn by studying the differences.

·
King of crash!
31,883 Posts

sorry you are right i meant to say 2011 and up ... 2010 and down are differnt ... just look at the part numbers and you can see for yourself...
is the diff conector the same still ??? thats alot better diff but i also saw a brok one on here last night first one too this seems like a good upgrade for a older rzr or the turbo guys

·
Registered
429 Posts
i read just about every post ... and i didnt read anything about someone having to change a connector .. so they must be the same.

And yes ... the new ones are better but still can be broken i am proof and i have seen a few others on here as well.
I wish someone would come out with a complete after market one ...not just a beeffer case .. but a complete unit that is alot better...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to just buy a replacement to have and hold for when I break mine again because I really wasnt doing much at all when this thing blew up. It should be fixed at no charge due to warranty, but I hate to have to wait 3-4weeks every time it breaks due to the dealers being backed up or whatever the hell their problem is. I am sure that it doesnt take more than an hour or so to R&R but it would let me continue riding unlike this past weekend at the Big Meat Run in Disney Oklahoma I broke the first night and had to ride my ranger crew the rest of the weekend after having to drive 4 hours to swap rides.

·
2,103 Posts
I would like to just buy a replacement to have and hold for when I break mine again because I really wasnt doing much at all when this thing blew up. It should be fixed at no charge due to warranty, but I hate to have to wait 3-4weeks every time it breaks due to the dealers being backed up or whatever the hell their problem is. I am sure that it doesnt take more than an hour or so to R&R but it would let me continue riding unlike this past weekend at the Big Meat Run in Disney Oklahoma I broke the first night and had to ride my ranger crew the rest of the weekend after having to drive 4 hours to swap rides.

Call up Chris @ Fixmytoys. A spare is always good to have. We usually keep one on hand.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i guess im lucky i got my rzr in early 07 and still have the same diff never been apart.... but im a duner
yea i cant seem a rihm or reason for breaking them..
I dont drive mine easy but i have a friend with a 08 that has 9000 miles on it and drives the shit out of it .. and i can tell you that he has never changed the fluid .... no problems at all ...lol

all trail driving ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here's a question, I have an 09 and I had to replace my steering rack with a gear one box. Will a new xp front diff work in my machine and work with my steering box? Will the drive shaft fit or do you need a new front piece?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would be curious if it works with the gear one. I put one in my 09 with just trimming the mount but I plan on going with a gear one rack and didnt know about the clearance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I need to do something them front diff's are nothing but a pos! Already rebuilt it 3 times now so I am fed up!

21 - 40 of 160 Posts