Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I need some input on what adjustments to make to help my XP stay on the road. It rides harsh and hard and is very top heavy feeling around corners, etc... When I hit a washboard part of the road or a part of the road that has been dug up by people who accellerate hard there all the time my XP wants to bounce off the road. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. :sad:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Lighten-up (soften) your compression damping. Harsh ride and bouncing means that your shocks aren't being allowed to do their thing. Or, your springs are shot. My two-bits.........

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
What tire pressure are you running? Sounds like that may be too high as well. Anything more then 10psi and you'll be feeling it alot....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the same thing. I was running 12 in the front and 13 in the rear and last ride I took it down to 8 and 8.5 in the front and rear respectively. That helped out a little but I was not sure about whether to dial down the valving or if I should start messing with preload (which I am hesitant to do).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I lowered my pre load about 3/4", backed my compression off all the way, on my stock shocks, for trail riding & that made a big difference!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
If your not pounding woops or taking big shots, i'd probably soften up the dampening as much as you can without bottoming out. I run 9 clicks from softest front and 6 rear when i'm here at home on the woops (still almost never bottom) but up at the taylor park ride, i turned them all the way down full soft. No woops up there, but PLENTY of rocks. For pressure here in the desert, i run 8 up front and 6.5 in the rear.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for leaving the wheel tire combo out..... I am running the stock chrome spoke wheels and stock ITP tires (which I am not impressed with).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All,
Just a quick update... I finally got my XP out on the trails after backing my shock compression down 4 clicks in the front and 5 in the rear and it was night and day! However, I am still having issues when on rocked forrest roads and there is that strip of rock down the middle... My XP wants to fishtail something terrible!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Check the preleod on the springs. It is easy to get a sharpy put a mark where they are currently. Adjust to have less preload go for a ride. If you don't like it you can go right back to where they were very easily. If you look close you will find the factory doesn not do a really accurate job setting the preload in the first place. You can count threads, measure or my favorite method is hand tighten until snug and do the same number of turns on each shock after that. You will be surpised how much variance you will find from one shock to the next from the factory.

·
Quicksilver
1,030 Posts
All,
Just a quick update... I finally got my XP out on the trails after backing my shock compression down 4 clicks in the front and 5 in the rear and it was night and day! However, I am still having issues when on rocked forrest roads and there is that strip of rock down the middle... My XP wants to fishtail something terrible!
Run it in 4wd. Front wheels will pull you straight.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
873 Posts
Check your preload. I want to say I backed my rears out 3/4" and my ride height was right at 13" in the rear and 13.5" in the front.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I will give the preload adjustment a shot then if it comes down to no help it may be constant 4x4 to solve it. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whelp I decided to inflate my tires to what the manual suggested. Lets just say that was a combination between funny and scary as snot.

I have the Stock ITPs. I lowered them to 8front 10rear. They're still waaay bumpier than before but manageable. I feel like its easier to turn though at low speeds which is interesting.

I haven't touched the shocks yet. That's probably what I should do next. I find its hard to tell how much they are compressing while driving. How does one know if its set properly for the terrain? Feel?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I turned my adjustment screw all the way in backed off one and half turns,took rear sway bar loose both ends.I feel no rought holes or bump,s in road also corening is not bad best of all no more squeaks,It works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
If your starting from scratch...try this. Set your preload on your springs at 1"( you will likely increase this) Set your clickers in the middle of the range and set tire pressures at 10psi. This is pretty much a baseline to start from. Find an area wherfe you can ride the same trail over and over. Run it. how does it feel? More than likely at theses settings its going to be stiff but your first consideration will be your ride height. If its too low then increase the preload 1/2 inch at a time to get it where you want to be and ride again. If your happy with the height then go to the shock settings ,more than likely it will be too stiff feeling at the mid setting but different people like different feelings from their ride.this is where you will most likely spend the most of your time playing with settings. Dont be afraid to play around. Remember also if you plan to be jumping then stiffen if your rock crawling soften. When you get to the point you think it feels the best then start to play with airpressures. 8 psi is pretty common. I run as low as 5 when on big rocks and up to 10 on fast hardpacked stuff. Middle of the road is 8 for me and usually where every ride starts. A good idea is to get a little notebook and take notes as you go so you will not have to rely on your memory. Note adjustments and results and trail conditions. A good way to set your shock travel. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the shock shaft at the base. ride and see if your crushing the tape. If you are then your too soft. Make adjustments until you just begin to see the tape starting to get crushed. Play around with the settings but pay attention and do things in a logical order or you just confuse yourself. If your trying to adjust your shocks or springs with 15psi in the tires your not gonna have much luck.1st things 1st.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your starting from scratch...try this. Set your preload on your springs at 1"( you will likely increase this) Set your clickers in the middle of the range and set tire pressures at 10psi. This is pretty much a baseline to start from. Find an area wherfe you can ride the same trail over and over. Run it. how does it feel? More than likely at theses settings its going to be stiff but your first consideration will be your ride height. If its too low then increase the preload 1/2 inch at a time to get it where you want to be and ride again. If your happy with the height then go to the shock settings ,more than likely it will be too stiff feeling at the mid setting but different people like different feelings from their ride.this is where you will most likely spend the most of your time playing with settings. Dont be afraid to play around. Remember also if you plan to be jumping then stiffen if your rock crawling soften. When you get to the point you think it feels the best then start to play with airpressures. 8 psi is pretty common. I run as low as 5 when on big rocks and up to 10 on fast hardpacked stuff. Middle of the road is 8 for me and usually where every ride starts. A good idea is to get a little notebook and take notes as you go so you will not have to rely on your memory. Note adjustments and results and trail conditions. A good way to set your shock travel. Take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the shock shaft at the base. ride and see if your crushing the tape. If you are then your too soft. Make adjustments until you just begin to see the tape starting to get crushed. Play around with the settings but pay attention and do things in a logical order or you just confuse yourself. If your trying to adjust your shocks or springs with 15psi in the tires your not gonna have much luck.1st things 1st.
I also feel my 900 XP LE's ride is way too harsh. I have the Maxxis Bighorns at 12F/14R per the OM, and the Fox 2.0 shocks are at stock settings (I verified that preload was set to the factory settings - 7.625" front and 3.625" rear). I would like to give your suggestions a shot but I have a question. When you say to set preload to 1" is this being measured in the same way as shown in the manual? Seems a long way from 7+"/3+" to 1". Is this both front and rear? Is this being measured from underneath the shoulder at the top of the shock to the bottom of the retaining ring? Thanks! OB

·
Registered
48 Posts
FYI I verified that my clickers were set to factory stock. 10 clicks out from all the way stiff, which turns out to be just about the middle of the range. That being verified, I lowered by tire pressure from 12F/14R to 10 all around. Made a big difference on rocky trails! I think I will leave it like this for now. Still great ground clearance (sometimes surprisingly so).

OB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts