Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new 2012 xp has the same sticker on the oil tank cover that they all have. It says to screw the dipstick back in to check the oil level. I go to check the oil the first time, and my dipstick has printed on it "DO NOT thread in to check level"

I check my buddies 2012 that was bought the same day at the same dealer and his dipstick is different and does not have this message on it. His cap is round and shaped like a normal cap on a soda bottle, mine has a raised "handle" on it that you grab to unscrew it.

Any idea's? My dipstick contradicts the instructions on the cover....

·
Registered
171 Posts
So my new 2012 xp has the same sticker on the oil tank cover that they all have. It says to screw the dipstick back in to check the oil level. I go to check the oil the first time, and my dipstick has printed on it "DO NOT thread in to check level"

I check my buddies 2012 that was bought the same day at the same dealer and his dipstick is different and does not have this message on it. His cap is round and shaped like a normal cap on a soda bottle, mine has a raised "handle" on it that you grab to unscrew it.

Any idea's? My dipstick contradicts the instructions on the cover....

I'm in the same boat mines has the soda cap and my friends has the raised handle . Also looking for some info on why they change it .:popcorn:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't checked the length of the two, but will the next time we ride. Just hoping someone had seen this issue and knew why or when they changed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I noticed the same thing the other day! I was going to ask the same question! I have a 2012 900 XP LE, and it has the dip stick cap that you describe with the raised center on the cap and the stick says not to screw it in to check the level.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think mine is a late 2011 build date, are your XP's a newer build date maybe the 12.5 model year? I think Liquid Silver and maybe Voodoo Blue and probably the later build standard red ones, just a guess.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think mine is a late 2011 build date, are your XP's a newer build date maybe the 12.5 model year? I think Liquid Silver and maybe Voodoo Blue and probably the later build standard red ones, just a guess.
Not sure about the build date, I'll have to look. Is there a tag somewhere on the RZR, or do you have to decode the vin number?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both mine and my buddies are just the standard red models, about 300 vin numbers apart if i remember

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is a 2012 red just bought it about 2weeks ago and it has the round cap and says to screw in to check oil level.
Have you checked both screwed in and not?

G

·
Strange..it looks like maybe they changed the part but havent yet changed to Owner's manual or decals...more strange is the parts fiche shows no updated part number but if I searche the number molded into the dipstick pictured I get a return
DIPSTICK-(405050) part number 5450333..no associtated machine.

DIPSTICK-(400940) part number.. 5439524 This is what shows up on the parts breakdown and is the "old" style metal dip stick.

Personally I'd have my dealer contact Polaris. Yes one could measure and see if maybe the dipsticks are different lengths or have the markings in different places, but whose to say the tank isnt also different? Numbers off the tank might tell the tale..but obviously someone dropped the ball somewhere on completeing the steps needed to complete this part change. In the mean time I think id follow the instructions on the stick itself..

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
I would say to follow the instructions on the dip stick

that top half of the oil tank where the threads are looks different / lower...therefore the threads would probably make up the diff between the bottle cap style & yours

not sure why they would change,,,maybe a diff supplier

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, ive been going by the instructions on the dipstick, seems more logical than a sticker. I also figure that by not screwing the cap in to check the level, at worst case my oil level would be higher than its "supposed" to be by using the directions on the cover. I have about 10 hours on the RZR now and no signs of being overfilled.

Saturday i will get pics of mine and my buddies side by side to compare.

G

·
Yeah, ive been going by the instructions on the dipstick, seems more logical than a sticker. I also figure that by not screwing the cap in to check the level, at worst case my oil level would be higher than its "supposed" to be by using the directions on the cover. I have about 10 hours on the RZR now and no signs of being overfilled.

Saturday i will get pics of mine and my buddies side by side to compare.
Here's the lengths of the "other" dipstick...

6 5/64" to the min line..
5 1/4" to the max line..
as measured per the picture below. IMO the oil tank and thread depth on the sticks LOOK the same..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts