Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a few are using ATF in the front diff. Has anyone seen failures or other reasons you shouldn't do this? What alternative to Polaris are you using here?

Also, what alternative fluid are you using in the rear?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? No one else going to weigh in here?
Whatever you choose, I would wait till the last minute and right before we leave to FINALLY change it. :rofl3:
Nah, changing the oil while everyone is standing in your driveway waiting for you to leave is your trick! :pint:

·
Registered
235 Posts
lucas full synthetic gear and trans oil 75-90wt in rear diff and transfer case and trans front diff john deere hydrolic hyguard oil wich is the same oil they put in the trans of those huge trac 6000 series tractors awsume oil,,, engine oil I never synthetic I only use honda gn4 10-40 i dont like synthetic oil in my engines cause its so slick that it gets by the rings and may cause carbon build up on piston and valves wich can causes detonation in my turbo applicaton and this all my own opinion iv been a mechanic for 25 years I respect everybody elses choices just my 2 cents ...

·
Registered
353 Posts
fyi - Polaris factory installs and requires synthetic engine oil in everything and has been for many years.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fyi - Polaris factory installs and requires synthetic engine oil in everything and has been for many years.
So you put synthetic engine oil in your diff and rear end? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Stay on topic so others aren't confused by the off topic clutter. :shhh:

·
Registered
353 Posts
So you put synthetic engine oil in your diff and rear end?
Always have, always will.

Everything else is 2nd best :rm_thumbdown:.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Never used Polaris lubes in any of my machines, It is drained out soon after purchase. Never had a problem with the engine, trans or differentials with AMSOIL synthetic. Got some 2006 models where the axle lubes have not been changed since converted when new. Thousands of miles on them, they are not here with me so I don't knew exact miles but was told recently one was close to 5,000 miles. Between my brother and nephews we have about 10 machines, Polaris, Honda, CAN-AM.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: XP Alt Fluids for front diff- Hilliard response

I have been in touch with Hilliard today. I have left a message with "Matt Cowen" the Polaris front axle design facility manager. I will post back what I find out from him regarding alternate fluids for the front axle. :popcorn:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay. I just spoke with the designer of the front axle on our units at Hilliard. I won't list his name, as I don't want him to get into any liability issues, or trouble at work. He told me the following;

The front axle is designed to use a tractor type hydraulic fluid of NO MORE than 05 weight. The reason for this light fluid is the over riding clutch unit. If you use a heavier fluid it will cause problems with the over riding clutch unit. Especially in cold weather.

So. Mobile, non synthetic, 424 and John Deere J20C are the tested and recommended fluids to use from Hilliard manufacturing.

If you want to use a fluid other than those, it absolutely has to be no more than a 05 weight fluid!! Period! End of story! The bottom line is most tractor hydraulic fluids will work.

I asked him about ATF vehicle fluid use. Both synthetic and non synthetic. He said they had never tested them in the unit, so he could not recommend them, but as long as it's no more than a 05 weight fluid it should work.

The guy was AMAZING to talk with. Open and friendly and told me if Polaris gives us problems with the front axle, to contact Hilliard and they will help!! He is always looking for information regarding the front axle, as Hilliard wants their product to be the best for the application.

He went into how the unit is designed and works and I am amazed! I suggested the unit for automotive applications, but Hilliard does not want to be in the automotive supply chain, due to the way the automotive manufactures treat their suppliers.

There you have it. An answer from the "Horses mouth!":)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts