Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a camping trip and everything was fine until the second day. I went to start it and it wouldnt start unless i gave it some gas. It did start and then idled fine after that... Ran fine the rest of the day. We got poured on and the rzr was soaked but still started up and loaded it toyhauler no problem. Then i get it home 3 hours later and it won't start unless i give it gas and if i slowly bring the idle down it'll run but crazy rich as the afr shows 10.0 and thats the lowest it reads. Any ideas? i'm getting fed up with this pos

Alba stage 2 kit with in box filters is the only mod to the motor

·
Registered
452 Posts
My buddy's rzr does that, he cleans the mass airflow sensor...clears it right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine did the same thing after a camping trip...had to give it gas to start...I kept riding it hoping to make it thru riding season because after it started up it seemed fine but there was no way because it started smoking on startup and using oil...the rest is history I called Swingarm1 and after the list of parts for the rebuild I wish I would've sent it to him as soon as it started acting up.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I had this happen to me. The stock hydraulic timing chain tensioner let the timing chain jump on the cams. I ended up making my own mechanical tensioner out of a stock one and it cured the problem. K&T makes mechanical tensioner as well. Not sure if this is you're problem but the symptoms sound similar. Give Nate a call if you're looking for a mechanical tensioner.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna start with the electrical side of things first... hopefully get it figured out

·
Registered
874 Posts
Excess oil from the filter on Mass Air sensor. Clean the sensor and it will work fine.

·
Elderly Windbreaker
80 Posts
Mine's doing that also. I have to give it gas raising the RPM to keep it idling after starting. It runs normally when driving. Hoping maybe the injectors are getting plugged. I'm going to put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank and try that for a fix. Keeping my fingers crossed.

:drive1:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I clean the map sensor and no change. Unplugged the fuel controller and its around 13.7 afr now. Should the fuel controller be adding that much fuel at idle? . I'm gonna check the plugs as i just changed those before the trip.

H

·
0 Posts
For those having idle problems remember the XP gets idle air from the idle air control valve. If its not opening, or not opening properly form some reason it wont idle, or could be rich at idle. Anytime an aftermarket fuel controller is installed I'd eliminate that as the source of the problem first if nothing else is obvious. c91x is sounds like you have already done that...with the fuel controller removed it runs normally?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nate i called .... your out of town till Monday ill try back then....

High octane the first thing I checked was the IAC valve and it was fine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

H

·
0 Posts
Nate i called .... your out of town till Monday ill try back then....

High octane the first thing I checked was the IAC valve and it was fine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Yeah that part was more for hopalong. Seems you've narrowed your issue down to being related to the fuel controller.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fuel controller wasn't the issue. I'm on the verge of just selling it for a huge loss. I'm over messing with it.

H

·
0 Posts
And how did the plugs look? I'm sure you eliminated the plugs but it just dawned on me someone i know had a similar problem and thought the plugs fine, eventually replaced them for the heck of it at wits end and it ran fine... Just something easy to consider. What plug are you running BTW?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after countless times messing with it i took the throttle bodies off and cleaned them out. The butterflys were dirt and my uni filters even though they are overly oiled still let dirt through. I sprayed the inlet of the map sensor with maf cleaner and a bunch of dirty cleaner came out. Put it back together and sure enough it ran fine. Now i need to figure out how my UNI's are letting so much crap through and i need to add some more weight to my clutch... 8450 rpms WOT

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Nate how many grams should i add? I'm running the base weight setting you suggested and i don't remember how much that was

H

·
0 Posts
after countless times messing with it i took the throttle bodies off and cleaned them out. The butterflys were dirt and my uni filters even though they are overly oiled still let dirt through. I sprayed the inlet of the map sensor with maf cleaner and a bunch of dirty cleaner came out. Put it back together and sure enough it ran fine. Now i need to figure out how my UNI's are letting so much crap through and i need to add some more weight to my clutch... 8450 rpms WOT
Too much oil may 1) be washing dirt through that would normally be held by within the filter..the oil traps finer particles and if it is so overly oiled that the oil is being sucked out of the filter it will take dust/dirt particles with it or 2) the oil getting on the TB just makes it more obvious how much junk gets past those types of filters...when the TB gets oily the oil will trap some of what is coming through..where when it is clean and free of oil it's a lot less noticeable since most all the particles going into the engine and little to none sticks to the TB and plates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts