Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Rynomax knows his stuff!!
LOL Thanks PK. I just know what I know from doing a ton of reading on the subject and what I have personally tried. I hate all the secrecy regarding spring rates and I love that Eibach is up front with that info. I'm far from a expert though and I have barely scratched the surface in regards to suspension knowledge. Shocks and suspension have always intrigued me. Getting ready to have a good friend of mine do some valving on my shocks so I am hoping to learn a lot more from him. And have my shocks work better of course.....
Did you ever do your valving? If so how is it and what did you put in?
Yes I did. The high speed portion of the stack is lighter than stock so it soaks up the small chatter and braking bumps better but the low speed portion is firmed up a good amount to handle the bigger hits. There are definitely improvements to be made in the valving and it is worth doing if that is what you are wondering.

·
Registered
237 Posts
LOL Thanks PK. I just know what I know from doing a ton of reading on the subject and what I have personally tried. I hate all the secrecy regarding spring rates and I love that Eibach is up front with that info. I'm far from a expert though and I have barely scratched the surface in regards to suspension knowledge. Shocks and suspension have always intrigued me. Getting ready to have a good friend of mine do some valving on my shocks so I am hoping to learn a lot more from him. And have my shocks work better of course.....
Yes I did. The high speed portion of the stack is lighter than stock so it soaks up the small chatter and braking bumps better but the low speed portion is firmed up a good amount to handle the bigger hits. There are definitely improvements to be made in the valving and it is worth doing if that is what you are wondering.
Are you at liberty to divulge the thicknesses of your shims, Id like to try something different but I dont have a starting point. Where did you get your shims?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Are you at liberty to divulge the thicknesses of your shims, Id like to try something different but I dont have a starting point. Where did you get your shims?
No, I am not sorry. It's a good friend of mine that did it and I promised I wouldn't discuss details. He get the shims directly from Walker. The Walker guys are pretty cool and may help you out with getting your stack setup.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ordered a stage 3 kit from Ryan at Eibach yesterday morning and it was delivered this afternoon and a friend came over and we installed it this evening. I can hardly wait to try it out. Thanks everyone for sharing all your info on this thread and thanks Ryan for the fast service.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I ordered a stage 3 kit from Ryan at Eibach yesterday morning and it was delivered this afternoon and a friend came over and we installed it this evening. I can hardly wait to try it out. Thanks everyone for sharing all your info on this thread and thanks Ryan for the fast service.
Good deal. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Just to follow up with everyone, I have tried a couple different spring setups since I posted this thread a few months ago. I started with a 350 over 350 (stage 2) and was pretty happy with it. I had to run about 1" of preload to get to good ride height and it worked pretty well. Seeing as I can never leave good enough alone, I decided that I wanted to try a 300 over 400 which would keep my combined rate about the same but it would give me the 400 lb spring to crossover into for the dunes. I don't think it was enough a difference to warrant the change. Seeing as some of the other shock companies run much lighter rates I decided that I would try a 300 over 350. That softened up my combined rate a little bit but also required about 1.5" of preload to get me to ride and my ride height changed a bit more with added weight. I drove it that way for about a month and at first I though that I really liked it but after getting some more miles in with that setup, having that much preload really causes the shock to unload hard or "shock bang" as I heard it referred to in another thread. I hadn't tried Eibach's stage 3 rates yet personally and with the setups that I had tried so far, I had the right springs to piece the front stage 3 rates together which are 350/400. I put them on this morning and just went out for a hour ride. Hands down the best setup I have tried so far. 0.75" of preload got me to ride height and the harsh unloading is completely gone. I was by myself and even with no weight in the RZR the heavy rates really don't feel any heavier and there will be less ride height change after you add weight. So after all that I guess I am saying I have come full circle and back to my original conclusion that the stage 3 rates are the way to go. I should also add that I have had my shocks valved and my rebound is slowed down so you guys with stock valving will benefit even more from running as little preload as possible (My shock guy also recommended the 350/400).

Just FYI, here are all the combied rates for everything that I have tried:
350/350=171
300/400=175
300/350=161
350/400=186

In the back I have been running a 200/300 with 1" of preload and have been happy enough with the rear that I haven't changed anything but after seeing what preload does, I will be ordering the 250 upper that the stage 3 kit uses from Ryan and giving it a try. 200/300 has a combined rate of 120 while the 250/300 has a combined rate of 136.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So after talking to eibach at the sand show and doing some research, I ordered the stage 3 kit for my xp4 1000.
My friend also ordered the kit and we installed both of them at his shop last weekend.
We set the ride height up per their specs and did some testing. Wow, what a difference. Best upgrade so far. Easy to install and great instructions.

I am from the sandrail world, and didn't want to give any money to a certain shock upgrade vendor, just from a principle viewpoint and obviously, that's my opinion. (Not to start a bash thread).
I am curious where everyone is running their adjustments at. I.e. 6 clicks out from all the way in, etc. I know it's a personal preference, but it gives a starting point.
Our rzr is used mostly in the desert with 2 adults and sometimes 1 child in the back.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
So after talking to eibach at the sand show and doing some research, I ordered the stage 3 kit for my xp4 1000.
My friend also ordered the kit and we installed both of them at his shop last weekend.
We set the ride height up per their specs and did some testing. Wow, what a difference. Best upgrade so far. Easy to install and great instructions.

I am from the sandrail world, and didn't want to give any money to a certain shock upgrade vendor, just from a principle viewpoint and obviously, that's my opinion. (Not to start a bash thread).
I am curious where everyone is running their adjustments at. I.e. 6 clicks out from all the way in, etc. I know it's a personal preference, but it gives a starting point.
Our rzr is used mostly in the desert with 2 adults and sometimes 1 child in the back.
There was definitely some interesting things that happened back in the day with said vendor. lol

As far as compression adjustment, I run mine full open in the desert for the most part. I will close them up when I am able to go out without my wife and kid or at the dunes. I believe at the dunes I was 4-6 clicks in the front from open and 2 clicks in the back. With the 400 lb spring you should be able to run them further open than you did with your stock springs. Something you will have to play with and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I have done a couple of trips and about 200 since I installed my springs on stock valving. The first trip I had 3/4" of preload in front and back and I liked it a lot. It was a very significant change from the stock springs, but I only had 2 passengers so for last weekends trip I added preload, total of 1" in front and 1.25" in the rear. With 4 people in the small chop it's still a little harsh. I have the shocks set a 5 out from soft in the front and 7 out in the rear, Im thinking I should have ran them closer to wide open in the rear. In the mediums to big whoops it handle sooo much better than before its unbelievable. I should mention that we mostly ride around in the desert area, mostly whoops a rocky trails. All I can say is if you're on the fence like I was, I definitely think it was worth it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just want to give another update. I have now put 500 miles since I have installed my stage 3 and it gets better and better. Absolutely the best upgrade I have done to the car. I ran my clickers all the way soft all the way around this past trip in Glamis, and what a difference through all the choppy crappy sand from all the rain. I jumped in my buddies car as he wanted to drive mine to see the difference and I had to flag his arse down to give me back my car. Holy cow I told him, you need to order the stage 3 asap bro lol. What a difference, and he agreed and is ordering it as well.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

I have done a couple of trips and about 200 since I installed my springs on stock valving. The first trip I had 3/4" of preload in front and back and I liked it a lot. It was a very significant change from the stock springs, but I only had 2 passengers so for last weekends trip I added preload, total of 1" in front and 1.25" in the rear. With 4 people in the small chop it's still a little harsh. I have the shocks set a 5 out from soft in the front and 7 out in the rear, Im thinking I should have ran them closer to wide open in the rear. In the mediums to big whoops it handle sooo much better than before its unbelievable. I should mention that we mostly ride around in the desert area, mostly whoops a rocky trails. All I can say is if you're on the fence like I was, I definitely think it was worth it.
The stock high speed valving needs some work. That is where you will see the biggest improvements in chop and chatter. The chop is what made me try lighter rates but I personally couldn't tell much of a difference going from a 300/350 to 350/400. Like you said though, my car feels much more balanced in the whoops with the heavier rates and minimal preload.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Testing a new setup that will most likely be a kit in the near future. If it works out well I will do a full review of it in the next month or so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After 2000 miles my stock springs, especially the rears, were shot. After a little research and partly because of this thread, I had a set of Eibach Stage 3 springs installed this week. Couldn't be happier with the result. The buckboarding and bottoming out are gone. Even with just 250 lbs of load (me, a spare tire, and some tools) the ride is great, my ground clearance is back, and my RZR feels more stable at speed whether on the road or trails or rocks. Thanks, Ryan.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
After 2000 miles my stock springs, especially the rears, were shot. After a little research and partly because of this thread, I had a set of Eibach Stage 3 springs installed this week. Couldn't be happier with the result. The buckboarding and bottoming out are gone. Even with just 250 lbs of load (me, a spare tire, and some tools) the ride is great, my ground clearance is back, and my RZR feels more stable at speed whether on the road or trails or rocks. Thanks, Ryan.
Happy to help and I am glad to hear the thread helped you make a decision.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Any update on their kits being upgraded to use front crossover rings/nuts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looking for springs for my xp41k! Anyone have any input on Stage 2 or stage springs? I'm hoping to only buy once :) I have a cage wrx spare tire carrier with a 52 lb spare on the rear, jack, beer ( 30 pack) haha ...and small tool box!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts