Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hope this helps anyone that is on the fence about what kit to order. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I will help in any way that I can.

Rynomx.....thanks so much for this in depth write up. You answered so many questions for me. I am new to the RZR world and I have been doing spring research for a few days on this subject.

Your advice and guidance helped me decide on the Eibach Stage 3.

Does anyone know the best place to purchase them (aka best price)....??
Glad it helped Logan.

As far as the best price goes, I would contact Ryan at Eibach direct and see what he can do for you. Tell him I sent you. :)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rynomax knows his stuff!!
LOL Thanks PK. I just know what I know from doing a ton of reading on the subject and what I have personally tried. I hate all the secrecy regarding spring rates and I love that Eibach is up front with that info. I'm far from a expert though and I have barely scratched the surface in regards to suspension knowledge. Shocks and suspension have always intrigued me. Getting ready to have a good friend of mine do some valving on my shocks so I am hoping to learn a lot more from him. And have my shocks work better of course.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Stage 3 kit got here yesterday. I was told it wouldn't even ship until October 3rd......to my surprise its already here. Gonna get them installed and hopefully give them a good tryout this weekend.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My Stage 3 kit got here yesterday. I was told it wouldn't even ship until October 3rd......to my surprise its already here. Gonna get them installed and hopefully give them a good tryout this weekend.
Nice. Let me know what you think after you drive it a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
WOW....:clap::clap::clap:

I am very new to the whole UTV thing as this 2017 RZR XP4 1000 is my first side by side. I have ridden in a few, but never owned one. So, let me start by saying that I am NOT NEW to upgraded suspension on my toys. I ran custom Elka shocks on my long travel 2004 YFZ450 for years. I know what good suspension is supposed to feel like. I know what it feels like to go from underperforming shocks/springs to a high performance well tuned setup. So here is my initial "DAY 1" reaction.

Install - This part blew me away at how easy it was. The RZR XP 4 1000 has ample room everywhere to access both ends of the shocks. Removal and install of the springs was very simple. I went with the setup sheet that came with the spring kit. The preloads are measured from the bottom of the shock cap DOWN to the top of the threaded adjustment collar. The crossover over measurement is from the bottom of the threads on the shock body UP to the bottom of the crossover clamp.

Measured from the bottom of the shock cap DOWN to the top of the threaded adjustment collar.
Front 70mm
Rear 115mm
Crossover 80mm

RIDE 1
- I was very excited to get out for a ride with about 500 pounds of "rider weight". There suspension performed AWESOME but it instantly became clear that this setup was quite firm and would need to be softened up a bit. I was pretty sure with would be the case as the ground clearance measured a bit over 15" with this setup. I have only about 400 miles on the weak stock setup, so actually having to go softer was a great feeling. So I went with a little softer to the following....

Measured from the bottom of the shock cap DOWN to the top of the threaded adjustment collar.
Front 60mm
Rear 100mm
Crossover 80mm

RIDE 2 - The same 500 pounds of "riders" went and noticed a slightly plusher ride. The performance is awesome. Still just a bit stiff for the current curb weight. I am waiting on my custom metal trunk case to be built and was not carrying the spare tire either. This RZR was just stock set up with a roof and TMW doors....not much extra weight yet. Ground clearance with setup is 14.5" on 30" Tensor tires.

RIDE 3 - Added a new rider for a total weight of 700 pounds and set out on a very rough track where we could test out some high speed whoops and a couple very deep "G-OUTS". Along with this was lots of loose shale rock that used to beat the tar out of us with the stock springs. With 700 pounds of rider weight the stock tenders were already compressed so you would feel every little rock, and the washboards were horrible. NOT ANYMORE.....this set up appears to be perfect for the 700 pound range. There performance is improved in all areas. The handling into and out of corners is amazing. The nose doesn't dive like it used to and all 4 tires stay planted even on hard acceleration out of the corners. The very deep "G-OUTS" were very tame even when taken at high speeds. We drive very aggressively and could NOT get this suspension to show any signs of weakness. On RIDE 3 I was actually the passenger. I let a buddy who owns a 2015 XP 4 1000 drive so he could confirm what I was feeling as well as compare to his complete stock RZR. He was so blown away that after the ride, he went directly into the house and ordered this same Stage 3 kit.

RIDE 4 - Once again I was the passenger for this one. About 575 pounds on this ride. The driver was a different friend who also owns a 2015 XP 4 1000. His is mostly stock, but he is running upgraded tender springs in the rear only. He is using Eibach 8" x 200lb tenders. He constantly boasts about how this really helps minimize the beating from loose shale, small rocks and the washboards. His prompting is what got me looking into the Eibach springs in the first place. So when I told him I ordered the entire KIT he instantly wanted to feel the difference when compared to his "partial upgrade". He is also a very aggressive driver and we headed out for the same rough track with the "G-OUTS" that we hit in ride 3. He was very impressed. He said his "tender only upgrade" was almost as good in the loose rocks and the washboards, but not even close on the whoops and the deep "G-OUTS". With only 575 pounds of rider weight this felt just a bit stiff to me.

GOING FORWARD - My normal rider weight is between 500-700 pounds. I am going to soften it up once more to the following.....

Front 50mm
Rear 85mm
Crossover 80mm

.....and see how it feels. I would like to get the ground clearance back to about 14" which is what it should be on the 30" Tensor tires. This should "plush up" the ride just a bit while keeping the great performance gains provided by this awesome kit. I may end up back at this exact setup once my trunk box and spare tire are mounted up. Its a great feeling to know where I am at and what this kit can do. I really feel like this kit allows the Walker Evans shocks to perform as they were intended. Such a worth while purchase. After DAY 1 I am convinced that this is the best "bang for your buck" performance upgrade you can put on your RZR.

Reactions: geoffrsc

·
Vendor
122 Posts
LogandaleRZR,

Thanks for the feedback. We love to hear this. I cut and pasted your review and emailed it to our R&D team.

And I completely agree...this is the best bang for your buck! It's the one mod that makes you faster everywhere and drastically increases the driving experience.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Logandale, glad to hear you are happy with the setup. Adding preload doesn't change the rate as it's linear. I am still trying understand how preload directly effects the ride. It definitely seems like it would effect the rebound more than anything due to the shock being under a higher load and wanting to unload faster.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And when you say 85mm of preload what are you measuring exactly? Are you measuring from the bottom of the shock cap down to the adjustment ring? 85mm is a TON of preload. I'm running lighter rates than you and I only have 25mm preload both front and rear.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Wonder why they don't include crossover rings for the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wonder why they don't include crossover rings for the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They said they didn't feel it was needed and I would agree with that with the exception of the dunes. I'm going to buy a set for the front before Halloween.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
And when you say 85mm of preload what are you measuring exactly? Are you measuring from the bottom of the shock cap down to the adjustment ring? 85mm is a TON of preload. I'm running lighter rates than you and I only have 25mm preload both front and rear.
This is what he stated:
The preloads are measured from the bottom of the shock cap DOWN to the top of the threaded adjustment collar.
The crossover over measurement is from the bottom of the threads on the shock body UP to the bottom of the crossover clamp.

Front preload 70mm
Rear preload 115mm
Crossover 80mm

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Logandale, measure the total length of both springs when you get a chance. I'm curious how much preload you are really running.

·
Registered
72 Posts
summit racing is cheap for these setups. just bought the stage 2 kit for my 2 seater and it was 599 shipped and got here in 2 days.

Was real disappointed it didn't have the front crossover ring as I though I was getting that. Should be an option for those of us that want it for the hell of it. Don't want to spend another 100 for the well know crook at Shock Therapy but I wont get into that..

Can we buy yours separately?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
summit racing is cheap for these setups. just bought the stage 2 kit for my 2 seater and it was 599 shipped and got here in 2 days.

Was real disappointed it didn't have the front crossover ring as I though I was getting that. Should be an option for those of us that want it for the hell of it. Don't want to spend another 100 for the well know crook at Shock Therapy but I wont get into that..

Can we buy yours separately?
Lol You wouldn't be referring to the Revenge Racing fiasco would you? Definitely some questionable stuff.

Eibach doesn't make a crossover for a 2.0 but there is another option other than Shock Therapy.
Suspension Direct UDCOR20 - UTV Suspension Services - Services | Suspension Direct, Inc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So got my kit today and put on the fronts. Have a stage 2 2 seater. I noticed the instructions say to set it at 110mm of preload which seems like a lot also noticed the front main spring is shorter than my stocker? Is this right?

21 - 40 of 102 Posts