Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm ready to upgrade the sad springs on my 18' XP1K. Polaris should be embarrassed by the quality of the originals. That's no secret and with that said what do u guys recommend? Was thinking shock therapy but a little concerned about their customer service. I have tried to contact them several times and no reply. I want the best springs for my ride though. What do u guys think? I'm a woods midwest(Indiana,Tennessee,Kentucky) rider, not necessarily fast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used Zbros springs and couldn't be happier , arrived as quoted and instructions were clear and easy to understand!

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE
541 Posts
The problem with your ride is the helper spring on top is doing it's job of keeping the big spring from getting loose at extension but that is all. The big rear spring is something like 300 lbs/in. You need a true dual spring system with crossovers. Maybe 300 over 300. In the first part of the stroke you will be riding on 150. Two pillows are softer than one. Way better on your back. 150 is not enough to handle big hits and prevent bottom out. So later in the stroke, the crossover rings lock out the top spring. Now the rate is 300 again. At this point your shocks probably need servicing. Change the springs and add crossovers as part of servicing.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,578 Posts
Call the shock mfg.

Fox has an Amazing rebuilt and upgrade program. Really impressive.

Walker does a nice job too. Frankly I'd not put a dime in a walker front valve job, but I would do the springs. Zros has a good following, but I've no idea personally.

I've a thread you might want to read on a DIY spring project I've done on my '18 XPT with WE's.

As to rate for a guy that was enjoying the woods, and I do some of that too, If that was my primary focus I would:

Unhook the rear sway bar, and or build the DIY adjust project (another thread) and reduce it's rate by 25%
Respring the front, looking for a 110-120lb combined rate. I agree on using the 300lb lower in the front, although anything up to 350 is OK.
Respring the back. Make the back primary rate 25kbs more than the front, looking for the combined rates to be about the same front and back.

The math on that is in the DIY threads.

I'd drop the compression down until I hated the dive or sway or I was bottoming out on big hits.

I'd set my air pressure down to more like 10-12 psi. It's a more comfy ride but doesn't feel mushy.

The latter two are very much a "how much sway and roll can I live with" kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE
541 Posts
I did Walker Evans Racing springs at the factory and got the 2.5" front shocks. By doing WER at time of service, you can put on solid crossovers rather than bolt on.

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE
541 Posts
Be careful with air pressure below 14. Big hits will feel harsh when the rim hits the ground and you will get a lot more flats. Maybe even a broken wheel.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Been running 8-11psi in stock tires in the rocks of ME, PA, and WV for two years. No flats.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just to throw it out there. Schmidty Racing. Haven't used them but I considering them because my make and model, ST does not include a new spacer/separator and the other does.

Reactions: turboville

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I'm ready to upgrade the sad springs on my 18' XP1K. Polaris should be embarrassed by the quality of the originals. That's no secret and with that said what do u guys recommend? Was thinking shock therapy but a little concerned about their customer service. I have tried to contact them several times and no reply. I want the best springs for my ride though. What do u guys think? I'm a woods midwest(Indiana,Tennessee,Kentucky) rider, not necessarily fast.
I just installed the ST springs on my 16 XP1k this past week. Ordered online and answered all their questions. Springs were here within a week (Ky). I ride pretty much the same terrain as you. Will be riding for the first time this weekend, so don't have any feedback yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just installed the ST springs on my 16 XP1k this past week. Ordered online and answered all their questions. Springs were here within a week (Ky). I ride pretty much the same terrain as you. Will be riding for the first time this weekend, so don't have any feedback yet.
Right on. Would love to hear how they work for you. I like that ST has the questions to get the right spring rates. Hopefully headed to Brimstone end of January. We'll see though. Keep me posted if you get a chance to ride.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Right on. Would love to hear how they work for you. I like that ST has the questions to get the right spring rates. Hopefully headed to Brimstone end of January. We'll see though. Keep me posted if you get a chance to ride.
Will do. Actually headed to Brimstone Saturday!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did Walker Evans Racing springs at the factory and got the 2.5" front shocks. By doing WER at time of service, you can put on solid crossovers rather than bolt on.
How much difference did the front 2.5 make on yours? Also if you don’t mind what was the cost I’ve been looking around at this for a week and have not found much info.

·
Registered
‘19 XP4T - Madigan cage/doors, Eibach springs, 32” bfg’s, PRP seats/harnesses, etc. etc.
84 Posts
I put Eibach springs on mine and am very happy as well. I went with Eibach because I wanted to know the spring rates I was getting and I know they are proven quality springs. Plus Eibach is not far from me.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would personally do Shock Therapy or eibach.

Shock Therapy recently changed their system, so it's been harder to get a reply back. My experience with them has been great.

I have Shock Therapy springs but I also upgraded to fox RC2s, so not a fair comparison. I pretty much ride on a cloud now.

One thing to consider that people always tend to complain about on shock therapy. Their goal is for the plushest ride without bottoming out. Therefore, you will get more body roll. It's not a safety concern or uncontrollable amount but noticeable. Shock therapy's solution is to get their sway bars.
I have now adjusted to the different feel of the body roll so it's no longer a concern. Some people just don't like it and don't want to improve it.

So that's something to think about.
Shock Therapy has the most options for spring rates compared to others.

Eibach have a more one size fits all pick a stage kit. However you can select specific spring rates if they offer exactly what you want.

If it were me... I'd go Shock Therapy, otherwise I'd go through a reputable shock tuner that uses eibach. I know there is one in Arizona and California (just can't recall the names). Or a lot of people recommend someone here on the forums named Ed?

Best of luck in your decision

·
Registered
919 Posts
Another indiana person.

So we have two machines-16xp1k on 32 roxx and 18 rs1 on 32 roxx. Before that was a 15’ 900.
The 900 got a spring kit from rt pro and thats what started it all. Night and day difference and id recommend springs for anybody.
When i went to the rs1, i like how ST had the options to put in more details such as rider weight, tools, terrain, etc. rt pro does not.
So, got rs1 all installed and loved it. Took friend to redbird and done a short 30? Yard section that had telephone poles, some basket ball rocks etc. had him drive it and then drive the rs1. (Not exact apple to apple but surely close enough) before the day was done he had me ordering a set for his xp1k.
Now this is a guy who hates to pay for things and usually insists on fabbing or finding a way.
Anyway. We have ridin them for couple years now and plenty of people have tried them to their liking. Now custom springs in general will do that.
The following year I had them revalved by ST, not real sure i noticed as much change having that done as the springs. -id not hesitate one bit to swap factory springs for aftermarket.
-have two machines with goods from ST
Who you choose is your money, just dont buy a “kit” as its not as custom for “your” setup.
Report back who you go with, how it rides etc. so the next guy w a similar situation has a followup

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE
541 Posts
How much difference did the front 2.5 make on yours? Also if you don’t mind what was the cost I’ve been looking around at this for a week and have not found much info.
The WER 2.5" front shocks are much nicer. Heavier shaft. Do not get hot and fade. They are $1355 at WER. The current shocks need servicing, new springs, crossovers and reassembly. That takes a compressor tool. The 2.5" bolt on. More expense but getting a much heavier duty shock.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just spoke with WE and got priced $2300 to do new 2.5 fronts and have my rears revalved, springs, and crossovers. It works out to $700 more than having them redo the stock ones which I think isn’t a bad deal. I’m guessing I could get $500 for my front stock ones and basically offset it.
I was going to go with ST but I can’t get in touch with them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts