Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 1228 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined yesterday & this is my first post so please forgive me if I've missed something but I feel this is very important. The dealer cannot fix your driveline vibration with Service Bulletin Z-13-01. This only fixes half of it. It may reduce the amount of vibration but there is still a major problem with the driveline that will cause major damage to your gear boxes & u-joints. I bought mine a month ago & have only taken it on one trail ride in Mena, AR. I had never owned a Polaris before & didn't know if the vibration was normal for that rig or maybe just the agressiveness of the tires. I decided to look at driveline phase & sure enough the slip yoke at the carrier bearing was out 90°with the rear u-joint. I decided to look on here to see if it was a common problem. Then I found Z-13-01 which isn't entirely accurate. As I tore into my machine I decided to check the front shaft phase as well. To my surprise, it was out 90° too, only this is a solid shaft with welded yokes not slip yokes. Definitely not something the dealer can fix without a new correct shaft. I may be wrong but I haven't seen anything on here or the internet about this yet. If you think a little vibration can't cause major problems in gearboxes, just ask any transmission shop.

Fortunately for me I have a machine shop & have built quite a few drivelines. Of course I decided to tackle this last night as we are heading out on a ride tomorrow & didn't want to risk any more damage. These are the pictures that show what i found & what it took to fix it properly.

The first picture shows the shaft removed where you can see the misalignment of the yokes. Then the removal of the forward joint from the shaft.
Next the shaft goes into the lathe by chucking on the slip yoke. I then turn about 90% of the weld off leaving 10% as a welding guide for reattachment. Then I part through the center of the weld until I find the seperation. I knock it loose to make sure its free but I don't completely remove the yoke.
Next I align the yokes on a flat surface placing parallels under the yokes on the shaft so the slip yoke doesn't affect alignment. The yoke is a press fit in the tube so it will stay still while tack welding.
Now weld. I use tig for small shafts for better control. I first tack it about 4 times then run an inner bead closing my part line then the filler bead out to the width of the 10% of the original bead.
Reassemble the front joint & a touch of paint.

When I reinstalled the unit, I made sure to stab the slip yoke properly & rotated the direction that allowed the grease fitting at the swing bearing to face up while the grease fitting at the rear diff faced outward allowing them to be greased at the same time without pushing the machine to rotate the shaft.

Once finished I test drove it to full speed & it was unbelievably smooth.

I think that 1000 owners are on there own with this one until Polaris recognizes it & sends out new corrected shafts. Most machine shops should be able to perform this process in about two hours of machine & weld time. As to what they would do to your warranty for doing this on your own, I don't know but it definitely needs to be fixed.
Hope this helps prevent future problems for ya'll.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've been thinking the same as you since I heard about the vibration. There's only one way to have a driveshaft in phase, and Polaris isn't getting it right!

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
XP 1000 Owners!!! Stop driving until you check your driveline!!!!

Been there already did this...

I had "The Machine Shop" in Chino Valley, Arizona build me a 4130 chrome moly drive shaft, phased & balanced... The paper thin walled stock Polaris drive shaft isn't phased or balanced... It's a sad attempt at making a drive shaft!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you correct the front shaft and rear shaft?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
SR, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! That is a very impressive first thread!
You are 100% correct on a poorly balanced or out of phase driveshaft. My '09 DS was welded by the blind. Dog ticks all over the welds. And the joints were phased at 120 degrees. As was the new DS. Anyway, that premium weld joint caused enough vibration at the front of the shaft that it pretty much trashed my demand drive input bearings and shaft.
This diagnosis and ultimate solution is way too complicated for the average RZR owner, IMHO.
Thanks for the great information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok great. Guess that'll be a fun winter project

·
Registered
228 Posts
Awesome post. I know nothing about drivelines and balancing so could someone show/explain what to look for to know it is "out of phase". Thanks

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome post. I know nothing about drivelines and balancing so could someone show/explain what to look for to know it is "out of phase". Thanks
If you look at my first picture, pay attention to the yoke (the part that is welded to the center shaft on each end) they are out of alignment. The left one is verticle facing up towards the camera while the right side is horizontal & parallel to the table. In the finished picture you can see that both yokes are facing up towards the camera or vertical, in time/phase with each other. It is easy to fix on the rear. Just pull shaft apart at slip yoke, rotate 90° & restab. The front requires cutting & rotating since there is no slip joint.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
SR, I don't want to hijack your excellent thread, but you have enlightened the community here. In the heavy equipment and farm tractor business, we used bolted in torque tubes and or solid driveshafts, as we had no suspension system, and the entire driveline was bolted together. Can you explain why the 800 RZR DS look like this?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SR, I don't want to hijack your excellent thread, but you have enlightened the community here. In the heavy equipment and farm tractor business, we used bolted in torque tubes and or solid driveshafts, as we had no suspension system, and the entire driveline was bolted together. Can you explain why the 800 RZR DS look like this?
Polaris RZR Driveshaft review - YouTube
RMR, I have worked on & built drivelines for a lot of heavy equipment. However, I'm not the machine designer. I have to work with what they design. My guess to your question would be the rigitity of most large equipment is far superior to any utv. Even with aftermarket roll cages they will flex & stretch. Most equipment like tractors that I have seen, the frame is the engine & trans castings (unbendable) but the stress is still there so they typically incorporate a walking beam design in the front axle & a lot of times pivots around the axis of the driveline. This can allow for a rigid torque tube. Corvettes use a torque tube design but dont have near the flex issues as off road & heavy equipment. It's designed to control rotational torque around one axis with minimal flex & bending. Also, I've usually only seen torque tubes used in straight line configuration. Rzr drivelines incorporating a center joint & swing bearing would have to have two torque tubes with termination flanges bolted to mounting brackets for & aft of the swing bearing & u-joint. Far more complicated & heavy.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
All very good info, but you picked up the fact that the front section was incorrectly phased and had to be reworked. On the 800 2 seater shafts, the joints are 120 deg out. I'm still trying to figure that one out!
And true, our tractors were bolted together from stem to stern, so no need for u-joints. They probably couldn't have handled the stress of ground engaging equipment anyway.

·
SoCal Dune Rider
681 Posts

I had "The Machine Shop" in Chino Valley, Arizona build me a 4130 chrome moly drive shaft, phased & balanced... The paper thin walled stock Polaris drive shaft isn't phased or balanced... It's a sad attempt at making a drive shaft!!!
If you don't mind me asking what did it run you to do this?

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts

If you don't mind me asking what did it run you to do this?
Don't mind at all... $350.00...

1 - 20 of 1228 Posts