Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 XP1000 ran fine for first 9 months, but now once it warms up (about 10 minutes of use) it suddenly starts running rough/choppy at low RPMs and stalls. The only way to keep it running after its warm is to be deep in the throttle (high RPMs), and it runs fine at that point. But the moment I lay off the gas, it runs rough and quits.

Anyone had a similar experience? Anyone have any ideas on the cause.

I've had it at the dealership for a couple of months and they are stumped. They replaced the fuel pump (didn't help) and tried swapping injectors (also didn't help).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Jumped a tooth in timing. Had my dealer stumped for a month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had this happen with mine, id pull your cps and see if it has oil on it. If so, pull your stor cover off and check for oil in there. It should be dry. Otherwise bad crankshaft oil seal

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I checked my cps today and have oil on it so gotta talk to the dealer mine runs fine but after a long ride when you are just cruzing it will stutter when you let off the throttle idles fine its just the transition from off to on throttle so looks like the crank seals going out on mine too 509 miles 27 hrs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well yours isnt as bad as mine! Lol mine runs like complete crap, i wouldnt drive it at all. My wife had been runnin mine around and didnt know until i already had .5 qt in stator cover

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like 2 machines in our club. They found that dust had gotten around the factory air filter and scored the cylinders. Ever since, we all switched to oil coated foam filters. In those two cases, the engines had to be rebuilt, approx 3,000.00

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Well went down to the dealer today, dropped off yesterday, the oil in the stater side is normal on the 1000 motors there is a window that you can see the timeing chain in, so if it is dry you got a problem better add some oil.
so no seal on this side of the motor to go out
Just picked her back up dealer says all good + dident charge me for doing any diag. Work pretty good people suggested maybe a dirty inj. but all seems good will have to take it out and see

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny i did the same with mine and was initially given info from someone else, went to dealer and same thing, diag'd and had some codes, ended up bein due to dirty connections. Was informed that it is a wet system and its normal. Threw me for a loop! Ended up workin out better anyway... same thing, now back to running normal! Glad we both got it figured out! Theyd recommended di electric grease on connections, so i went through, blew them all out and used the grease. No more issues.

·
2019 RZR XP Turbo S
323 Posts
I have around 2,700 miles. The last 600-700 have had the engine missing issue. I changed the injector connection on the MAG side but still have the issue. Yesterday I stalled 3 times during a 50 mile ride - happened when I came to a stop by letting off the gas and engine returned to idle. In all cases, started on the very next crank. Also the engine is backfiring when dropping from high RPMs - loud, crisp pop. Cleaned the spark arrestor.

No check engine codes - no check engine light. I kept looking for any signal related to fuel injectors. Nothing.

My buddy recalls seeing some comments out here about injectors... dirty maybe. We're both quite curious. For those of you who have battled this - did anything clearly resolve it?

Thanks all for the consideration...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hoping someone found a cause for this. I have similar issue, noticed a slight misfire around 5500rpm when at low load. Cleaned pedal assemble thinking it was a potentiometer, but it's a magnet type sending unit, so I doubt that's the issue. Now it has a intermittent low idle and will stall. Always starts right up. Only does the low idle thing about half the time and only when warm. I've got to think it's an electrical issue, it runs great otherwise, no loss of power, no issues under load. No check engine codes yet. I did repair the injector harness already. Charging voltage is good. Machine is just shy of 3000mi. I have meticulous maintenance and service records

·
Registered
75 Posts
After some more research and testing, it seems to be the plug for the tmap sensor. Parts ordered, fingers crossed

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hoping someone found a cause for this. I have similar issue, noticed a slight misfire around 5500rpm when at low load. Cleaned pedal assemble thinking it was a potentiometer, but it's a magnet type sending unit, so I doubt that's the issue. Now it has a intermittent low idle and will stall. Always starts right up. Only does the low idle thing about half the time and only when warm. I've got to think it's an electrical issue, it runs great otherwise, no loss of power, no issues under load. No check engine codes yet. I did repair the injector harness already. Charging voltage is good. Machine is just shy of 3000mi. I have meticulous maintenance and service records

I've heard several people report this issue - any pictures of the plug/wire in question?

·
Registered
75 Posts
ImageUploadedByRZRForums.net1448676596.667739.jpg
The stalling issue and misfire are intermittent and only when warm, but if I wiggle the wires at the plug the motor stalls. Pretty sure that's it.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Wiggle and pull firmly on the wires at the connector end for both injectors and TMAP sensor while the engine is idling. If you get engine stumble then you have bad wiring inside the insulation. My wires were broken and just the insulation was holding the ends together making the electrical connection. Known factory defect on the 2014 XP...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yea, I already replaced the injector wiring, at least I got a code for that one so I knew where to look. Hopefully broken wiring isn't a trend.

This time no codes, thanks to everyone on here I knew where else to look. My 2014 is still been relatively trouble free so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had the same issue ...replaced the TMAP sensor plug with one from Ballenger Motor sports and my troubles have been left in the dust

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts

·
2019 RZR XP Turbo S
323 Posts
Thought it might be useful to just show it happening - hear the engine miss. Mostly for me it happens when engine really warm. Last ride, I stalled 3 times when coming to idle and it backfired a lot. Also engine would miss occasionally while driving it along.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts