Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have some real world abuse yet on the super ATV x300 axles on the turbo s? I currently have rhino 2.0 axles on my turbo s and so far I have broken a front. But I'm also on 35s. When it broke I came down on a rock ledge under power and broke the outer star in the CV. Not sure if a axle that would have twisted more would have saved me or not. I'm really liking the idea of a 300m bar that just twists and flexes when it's shock loaded. Then the big parts like diff, trans and driveshaft won't get hurt as easy. Also how would these stack up to say a rcv axle? Really looking for some input from some guys that have ran this x300 especially on a heavy wheel and tire combo or a heavy loaded down car. Price wise the x300 is the most cost effective by far for a axle with a 300m bar. Super ATV x300 is 2000 for 4, rcv's are 2900ish.

Or should I just keep rolling my rhino 2.0s and just Cary a spare with me. Also does anyone know if front and rear axles are interchangeable on the turbo s? For some reason I thought they would work in a pinch front or rear

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I would be running them if I could talk @SATV into making them for their long travel suspension 🙄 hint hint Erik

The flex of the 300M shafts would definitely help relieve drivetrain stress. However, I've been running 2.0s for years and never broken one. A lot of it is knowing when to get out of the throttle. I carry a front and rear axle just in case. Front and rear are not interchangeable.

$2900 for RCV? its more like $1500.
That's for 2, they are about $750ea.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ive been looking at the same axles for what it's worth. RCV advertise that they get more angle out of their ends but I'm not sure how they achieve that. Im still on stocks for now. Axles are my next upgrade but near 3k is a lot to bite off when the stocks are still hangin in there. Im on 35's now so maybe the end is near.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Ive been looking at the same axles for what it's worth. RCV advertise that they get more angle out of their ends but I'm not sure how they achieve that. Im still on stocks for now. Axles are my next upgrade but near 3k is a lot to bite off when the stocks are still hangin in there. Im on 35's now so maybe the end is near.
For 95% of the applications X300s or RCVs are overkill unless you just want the best available (I have that problem myself). If you break a Rhino 2.0 chances are it was the drivers fault. They are by far the best bang for the buck in axles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For 95% of the applications X300s or RCVs are overkill unless you just want the best available (I have that problem myself). If you break a Rhino 2.0 chances are it was the drivers fault. They are by far the best bang for the buck in axles.
I like the good stuff for sure. Ive always been a fan of RCV as well. Ive already installed their ball joints and output shaft in my trans. I dont see why I wouldn't keep the trend going with their axles.

Ive been looking at their prop shafts as well but apparently that carbon fiber one isn't ready for the big show yet. Someone here had one come apart on them.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I will just keep rolling my rhino 2.0 axles the more I think on it. I've ran them in the last 3 rzrs I've owned and have only broken 2. Both fronts and both broke during very similar driver errors. I think for the money the 2.0 is by far the best axle for the money as Joe stated as well. But i would still like to keep hearing what people think of the x300. I would also like to know more about the internal parts of the CV and the differences between the x300 and 2.0 at the CV.

Rcv makes a great product but I just can't get past the prices. I believe rcv has 2 different versions of axles. One is 750 each and the other one is close to a grand each. I'm sorry but if you have to spend 3-4k on axles that's absurd. Only up side to the rcv is I believe it's a American made. Pretty sure the 2.0 and x300 is not I don't think.

I've been looking at the kb3 driveshaft that converts the whole shaft to 1210 Spicer joints with billet yokes. But again at 1450 with the 2 piece carrier bearing it's a chunk of change. By far the toughest shaft I have seen if u want beef. Im currently running a re tubed stock shaft with Spicer 5-3200x joints. Had my local drive line shop do .120 wall Dom on the factory yokes. Only had 300 in this setup and for the money it's treated me well. But the yoke at the front diff is definitely getting sloppy.

·
craigstumph
11,426 Posts
RCV Prop shaft and axles at work on MRT Super Sticky 35" tires with water ballast in the Soup Bowl. This is as tough as it gets. Getting out was the easy part. Getting into the position to get out was the hard part that was not caught on the video. I am not sure how the X 300 axles would hold up because my rig was equipped with RCV. I can't believe that nothing broke.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I've been to SATV manufacturing facility and I know all the GDP products are made in house. I believe the Rhino 2.0 axles are as well but not 💯 sure. They have an incredible multi-million dollar test rig for the axles, nothing short of badass. They push them past their limits and see what fails and how to improve them. There is a video somewhere but I can't find it right now.

Maybe we can get Erik @SATV to clarify the CV and outer shafts if the X300s

·
Registered
217 Posts
RCV Prop shaft and axles at work on MRT Super Sticky 35" tires with water ballast in the Soup Bowl. This is as tough as it gets. Getting out was the easy part. Getting into the position to get out was the hard part that was not caught on the video. I am not sure how the X 300 axles would hold up because my rig was equipped with RCV. I can't believe that nothing broke.

Is this the metal or carbon fiber shaft?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I was there and to say that is impressive is an understatement.

·
5,936 Posts
I just spoke with my main axle engineer and tried to get all the info I could. There's a TON of test material on them, and he's going to clean it up and get me something that that I can share on here. Lots of graphs, numbers, and comparisons to other brands, along with some pretty cool testing footage.
  • The 300m shaft will twist and then unload when freed up to take the load off your diff or trans.
  • ALL front outers and rear inners are 300m
  • XP1k front inners and outers
  • X3 front inners and outers
  • Ranger rear inners and front outers
  • Inners and outers on ALL big lift axles.
  • Possibly some other combos, but I still have a lot of info to go over.
Check out this video. It has some pretty cool test footage. We developed some AWESOME testing machines and methods here at the shop.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would definitely like to c that test data on how the x300 actually stacks up to the other high end axles like turner, RCV, summers brothers and even the 2.0 u guys sell. I think once my rhino 2.0 axles are out of warranty and if I bust one I will go to these if the data looks good.

·
5,936 Posts
We have a whole bunch of videos and data. Still trying to get my axle engineer dude to compile something I can share. So far, they've out performed every other axle in every category besides RCV's top of the line inner CV joint. That's the only one that broke after ours.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After seeing how much the x300 will twist without breaking is impressive! I could definitely c these saving drivetrain parts when running a heavy 35 or on portals. RCV axles are definitely strong but I just can't justify that kind of coin on a trail rig.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Rcv makes a great product but I just can't get past the prices. I believe rcv has 2 different versions of axles. One is 750 each and the other one is close to a grand each.

I only see 1 variant for the turbo s on the RCV site, what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RCV used to sell 2 different axles for the turbo s. One was a pro series and I can't remember the other. I just looked on rcv's website and it now looks like all they sell is a pro series 2. The other higher end one they used to sell had the non sealed orange outer boots that looked like cups. They were more directed towards the rzr bouncer guys I think.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I like the flexible aspect of the x300 shafts, wouldn't any shaft made from 300m perform the same though?

I understand only the top end shafts are made from this material and command a premium $$$ im just curious if one mfg has a special blend on their 300m.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts