Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the sand show in Costa Mesa Ca, I was shopping for front sand tires. I have rear paddle tires that are 25" and I need a front set of smoothies. I asked a random vendor that was selling paddles for a price on a set of 26" front smoothies. The vendor told me I have to get the same size as the rears because it will put stress on the front diff if I ever run 4 wheel drive. Is that true? I almost never run 4 wheel drive in the dunes but every now and then when I need to climb a tall hill I will kick it over to 4 wheel drive. Do I really need to put 25" fronts on to match my rear 25"s or can I run 26" on the front like I want to?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Yes you should run the same as the diffs do not like it otherwise.... definitely in hard dirt.. I think the sand is more forgiving to the size difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the on demand 4 wheel drive set up that the RZR has, a smaller rear tire will trick the sensors into thinking that the rear tire is always slipping, so it will be full-time 4 wheel drive once the button is pushed.

...and no, you shouldn't run on hard terrain with different sized tires front to rear.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
It depends what the rolling diameter of the tires is. Just like shirts and shoes can vary in size, so can tires. 25" and 26" can vary. Even the amount of air changes the tire size.
In the sand it probably wouldn't make that much difference if they're close, the tires can slip and relieve.
Dave @ Fullerton Tires could answer your question much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I only plan on running the larger front in the sand. 25" 7 paddles in the rear and 26" smoothies in the front.

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
It is an old jeep problem that has been around for years! You can run different fronts in 4 wheel drive in the sand only! The "Wrap" will self adjust because of low traction and because of the air pressure being so low it is more about rolling distance than diameter! The system won't engage the front until higher speed our rpm anyway! I would do it if the difference was small 26 vs 27 or 25 vs 26, but if your talking 3 inches or more???? Just make sure your in two wheel drive on hard pack!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is an old jeep problem that has been around for years! You can run different fronts in 4 wheel drive in the sand only! The "Wrap" will self adjust because of low traction and because of the air pressure being so low it is more about rolling distance than diameter! The system won't engage the front until higher speed our rpm anyway! I would do it if the difference was small 26 vs 27 or 25 vs 26, but if your talking 3 inches or more???? Just make sure your in two wheel drive on hard pack!
Your outlook seems more realistic. Especially considering the fact that I only run 4 wheel drive about ten percent of the time in the dunes and that will be the only time I will be running the 25" rears and the 26" fronts.

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Also remember the "Smoothies" will break loss pretty easy with no tread or bite! I wouldn't worry! I have been doing Glamis since 1970 with everything that has a motor in it! 40 years of experience and not selling anything, just telling it as I see it;)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
While at the sand show in Costa Mesa Ca, I was shopping for front sand tires. I have rear paddle tires that are 25" and I need a front set of smoothies. I asked a random vendor that was selling paddles for a price on a set of 26" front smoothies. The vendor told me I have to get the same size as the rears because it will put stress on the front diff if I ever run 4 wheel drive. Is that true? I almost never run 4 wheel drive in the dunes but every now and then when I need to climb a tall hill I will kick it over to 4 wheel drive. Do I really need to put 25" fronts on to match my rear 25"s or can I run 26" on the front like I want to?
Yes this is true.

Just like on cars and trucks that are 4x4 and AWD. The 2 different sizes will rotate at different speeds. Not good for drivetrain! Now if you only use 2wd then it's fine, but not for 4wd or Awd

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I would get tires that have the same roll out.

but remember that the front and rear diff on the RZR have different gear ratios!
The different ratios cause slip and force the AWD to engage.

on sand I don't think you will have huge issues,,,

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have been running 26 extremes in the rear and 25 buff front. When I ordered they were out of 26 buff so I just went with it as it was very close to one of my trips. Runs fine, 2 of 4 wheel drive. I am gonna sell or trade the 25 fronts just to get back to 26 all around. Skat starts with a 26" tire but after buffing it will be under 26". So even 26" all around is nout exact but close enough. Like others have said, sand will let you get away with the mis match.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel like a little kid ignoring advice from my parents but Im pretty sure the front 26" smoothies with the rear 25" 7 paddles will work fine. Especially when I only run four wheel drive about three times a Glamis trip (one weekend). When I blow my diff out then I will be the first one to say you told me so.

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
As long as you admit that then go for it.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I feel like a little kid ignoring advice from my parents but Im pretty sure the front 26" smoothies with the rear 25" 7 paddles will work fine. Especially when I only run four wheel drive about three times a Glamis trip (one weekend). When I blow my diff out then I will be the first one to say you told me so.
I agree with most that the small difference, limited 4x4 engagement, and low traction of the smoothie should ultimately add up to no problems. However, if you have not already purchased the fronts call Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports. There is no sense in purchasing something that isn't right, even if it may not make much difference. Ultimately the diameter of the tires can change greatly when buffed down, not to mention that most manufacturers don't measure out at the exact spec they list anyways. The roll-out, or circumference of the tire, is what is critical and that needs to be measured once buffed. And theoretically it should closely match your rears.

With all that said, what is your reasoning for leaning so hard towards the 26" anyways?

Bones

1 - 18 of 18 Posts