Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after I attempted to drain the oil I looked on here. I found a 8mm alan head on the side of the motor and took that out. Not a lot came out. Then I drained the sump and got oil everywhere. Everyones saying the plugs on the bottom through the skid plate. This plug appears to be on the motor to am I right? Just wann be sure I didn't drain something else. Now my oil level is high which is how I know I did wrong plug. Should I just suck some oil out from dipstick area? Pics are of plug I pulled. See Pics. First and second is plug I pulled, last is one I should have which is same area just on bottom of motor not side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
the one through the bottom is the correct one...not sure about the other one....so you basically did not drain the motor sump, just the oil reservoir tank.....you should still be able to just drain the motor sump and add oil to the recommended level

also its a good idea to replace the crush washer on the motor drain plug

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So whats that plug I did in first pic? If I pull lower plug it won't drain all the oil from the pump?

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
not sure about that side plug..someone else will most likely know...pull the bottom one to drain the motor sump as it has a magnet on it to check for metals also

·
Scooterdog
713 Posts
Hmmm looks like your tranny plug

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
that's not the trannny plug, it is on the side of the motor under the stator cover...but im still not sure what its ther for

·
Registered
4,936 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi, no you did not drain your motor oil, as evidenced when you checked your dipstick and it was overfilled, and your drain pan only had a little fluid in it, ....i believe you drained your diff or tranny, you'll have to see if that plug you removed is near your left (driver's side) .....i would drain your motor oil (right side, has a socket head) and refill, you'll need tranny fluid for your other, ....a socket wrench will fit the fill plug there......yes, you took off the wrong plug, and drained the wrong stuff

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hi, no you did not drain your motor oil, as evidenced when you checked your dipstick and it was overfilled, and your drain pan only had a little fluid in it, ....i believe you drained your diff or tranny, you'll have to see if that plug you removed is near your left (driver's side) .....i would drain your motor oil (right side, has a socket head) and refill, you'll need tranny fluid for your other, ....a socket wrench will fit the fill plug there......yes, you took off the wrong plug, and drained the wrong stuff
Phil, you are talking about 800 engine, but he is a working on 900 engine.
milos

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mrfastphil everyone on here is saying it's a 6mm alan head you access through the skid plate and you are saying it's a bolt on the right side. Are you talking about a XP. I'm pretty sure I found it on the bottom and the trans plug is not to much further towards the back on machine. Where do I check tranny fluid and diff. Pretty sure it's not diff fluid as this was at motor not axles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tranny fluid and diff are the same... access at rear of diff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I did when I changed it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, i stand corrected, and was refering to the 800 engine, i'm sorry for the confusion, and happy our forum members are so sharp!....i hope he gets everything staighten out...i know i have! Thank you guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another first timer here... I also pulled the plug in picture 2 (at top) on my XP4 and a little fluid came out but not much. The Service Manual didn't do a very good job of showing exactly where the drain plug is IMO. Now my oil is also over filled. Will pull the plug in the skid plate now that I know where it is but just to make sure I'm not about to burn something up... Its ok if I drained this plug and don't need to add anything elsewhere to make up for it?? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to MilosUSA (earlier in this post) the drain plug I pulled is not important and was probably just used in the manufacturing process. I found another picture on another forum that showed the actual oil drain plug with the skid plate removed and it looks like this plug is just higher up and on the side of the drain pan/motor and that's why not much oil came out. I will pull the right plug this evening and try again. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some fluid somewhere and gonna do some damage to my baby.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well this is a nice old post, giving it a shot anyway.

Either of the people who pulled the plug on the side of the engine, have any issues with leaks afterward? I just did the same damn thing and realized as soon as I pulled it out that it wasn't the right one...

Put it back in and drained the pan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts