Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here. I picked up a 16 xp1k and I am having trouble with it eating belts. I unloaded it and put 10 miles on it and the belt blew. Guy gave me an extra with it. I got a couple miles out of it then that one blew. Last night I took it out and now I’m on my third belt. So I brought it into the shop. Pulled cover. Pulled the secondary off and the pucks are shot and I’m wondering how much wear is too much wear. Rig has 2000 miles on it. I will include pictures. The information I got from the guy was that it has a epi clutch kit. Which it does. It has 33inch tires on it which I’m sure don’t help the belt life at all!! But I’m not hard on the throttle and when I am crawling through river beds and climbing hills I am always in low. I can also smell the belt getting hot. The primary clutch looks good and healthy. He gave me the old primary as one of the half’s cracked. Let me know what you guys think!

New secondary or change to hunters rollers and keep going?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Holy crap yeah you’re gonna need a new one and buy those round rollers to boot.
Also, you don’t technically ever smell the belt getting hot, instead you’re smelling the belt slipping through the clutch and burning up from the friction. Going slow with a high load on those large heavy wheels, and with a worn out clutch on top of it all, is just begging to slip the belt.

How do the faces of your clutch sheaves look? Are they grooved?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply!! I checked the clutch and they’re not grooved. They’re actually in really good shape. I’ve checked on eBay with parts number and I can get a used clutch for 40$ all I really need is that one half of it. What do you all suggest? Certainly going to order the round rollers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you really need such big tires that are 4 inches over OEM because it really messes with the drive train and strains the steering geometry. I have the factory tires and have never been in need of bigger ones and I ride all kinds of terrain.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
With tires that big and stock gearing, you’re probably going to continue to have problems. Clutch kits don’t help with big tires at low speeds, really only at high speeds to put the engine back in the power band. In my opinion you should replace the secondary with a new one w/Hunterworks rollers and HD belt, and install the Ace gear reduction in the trans OR maybe just put a Duraclutch setup on it if you want to keep those tires.

·
Vendor
10,284 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!! I checked the clutch and they’re not grooved. They’re actually in really good shape. I’ve checked on eBay with parts number and I can get a used clutch for 40$ all I really need is that one half of it. What do you all suggest? Certainly going to order the round rollers.
It is a balanced assembly, you can't put half, we have some new one with our round rollers already in there

https://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/56301/102664

Todd

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
33s are too big for a XP without some sort of gear reduction. Get the clutch fixed and drop to a smaller tire.

BIG tires = Portals.
Depends on the machine and there are other options besides portals. On the 16/17 XPTs 32/33" tires where not a problem with stock clutching. Gear reduction can also be done in the transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright a little update everyone. I picked up a clutch for 330$, as for the tires, I will swap them out with something different. I’d like to keep the rims on it. They’re 18’s. I’ve searched for tires for 18 inch rims but all that really comes up are mud tires. Anyone know of a tire that’s less aggressive that are 30’s for a 18 inch rim? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Alright a little update everyone. I picked up a clutch for 330$, as for the tires, I will swap them out with something different. I’d like to keep the rims on it. They’re 18’s. I’ve searched for tires for 18 inch rims but all that really comes up are mud tires. Anyone know of a tire that’s less aggressive that are 30’s for a 18 inch rim? Thanks.
Hate to break it to you but 18" rims for a 30" tire aren't worth a crap. There is not enough sidewall on the tire. 14/15" rims with off-road tires

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True!! Didn’t think of that! I’ll try to off this whole set up and go with a 14 and a 30 inch tire. I plan to keep the snorkels but the radiator is going back to stock location. Previous owner did cap the lines off that run from the motor to the frame so that’s a plus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New clutch came in, I swapped the helix and spring out. I had a 40$ belt I bought off eBay for a spare just to get home and I threw it on. I got out my driveway and got on 1/4 throttle and the belt split. Going to Polaris Friday for a new belt. Going for a ride this weekend and need it running. Hopefully the problem is resolved with the new clutch. I understand the tires will still be hard on it which I am trying to sell them. I will post back!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
2 things
1. Get a quality belt from Todd @ Hunterworks they are MUCHO better than Polaris Belts ...... and more cost effective!

2. Get a better ( steeper) helix for those tires/or any over 30" the stock helix is not suited very well for crawling and more importantly the initial engagement.

I run nothing but venom helix's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An update, new clutch, new belt, gates belt. And this is what happened after 31 miles, I went 15-20 in low to break it in. Sooo is this thing just slipping so bad and heating up its eating belts because of these stupid tires or do I have another issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
An update, new clutch, new belt, gates belt. And this is what happened after 31 miles, I went 15-20 in low to break it in. Sooo is this thing just slipping so bad and heating up its eating belts because of these stupid tires or do I have another issue?
My understanding is that the Gates belts suck. Which sucks, because I bought one as a spare when I first bought my machine. I believe it's too short so it ends up making contact with the clutch on the inner ribs. If I were you I'd buy the Hunterworks HD belt. If you're going to keep those tires you need gear reduction. No clutch kit is going to fix that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Length of belt was 42 3/4 and 1 and a 1/4 wide. I think these tires need to go!! They’re fun but if I can’t keep a belt on this machine what good are they! I like to road ride and off road. From the looks of the belt is it slipping? I’m used to sleds. Had troubles for a little with my sled due to bad motor mounts but never had trouble with it eating them like this even with a 2 inch paddle track!

·
Vendor
10,284 Posts
From the pic and inside teeth missing you have a either gates belt or a overtravel issue.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts