Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

craigstumph
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ultimate rock crawling tire in the world needs a crown. But what is it? What makes a tire work like no other on rocks? A lot of people have opinions. We at Pro UTV Parts are looking for the best rock crawling tire in the world that is proven in competition. The things we look for are:

1. Height (taller is better)
2. Grip (softer tire rubber is usually better)
3. Sidewall Grip (lugs help)
4. Flexibility (ability to conform to rocks)
5. Side Wall Strength (puncture resistance)
6. Holds a Line (tires go where you point them)
7. Sidewall rigidity (sidewall does not fold over when turned)

I am sure there are other things that matter and we welcome input on this because we are going to set-up the Ultimate "Bad Ass" tire test as soon as we get input from everyone interested.

For a suitable tire test location we chose the "Wall of Death" located in Utah. This wall has been a favorite test area of ours for over a decade. It has never been driven by UTV. The only vehicles to climb this wall have been competition rock buggies and very few of them have made it. The "Wall of Death" is an off camber vertical climb that we know has the characteristics essential for testing tire traction and vehicle capability. The tests will be conducted as fairly as possible because we really just want to know which tire works best.

We were originally only going to test tires for our info so that when we go to Sand Hollow Utah we can out climb our friends. However, this would not be fair to anyone else who is interested and small in our opinion. With that said we open this up to the people who help us by buying our products on the Forum. We only ask that you help us by giving us input into the test because we realize that we don't know everything and value your input.

Let us know what tires you think are worthy and send pics of the tires. Looking forward to your input on what tires you want to see tested and why. We need input on tire size, width, and brand. Personal experience counts if you have used the tires. If you have not used the tire let us know that also. No questions or input are dumb.

Tire Test Parameters:

1. All tests will be conducted on the same machine (Turbo S 4 seater)
2. All tests will be on the same day under the same conditions if possible.
3. All tests will be at the same location (Wall of Death).
4. All test tires will be equally prepared and tested at optimum air pressures for each tire.
5. Tests to be conducted equally and fairly. We are not getting paid to test. We just want to know for our ourselves and fellow forum members.

Aspiring Perfectionist
Sub'd x about 1000 - Already anxious to see the results, and already thanking you for doing the test!

There's some obvious tires that need to be in the test, which I think everyone knows by now, anything made in a sticky compound bigger than a 32", and any non-mud UTV specific tire bigger than a 35 (which is very few).

My list would be:
MRT Crawler XG sticky in a 35" (or 37's if you manage to get your hands on some by then)
Maxxis Roxxzilla Sticky 35"
Super ATV XT Warrior 35" sticky
System 3 XCR 350 - 35 or 36"
ITP Coyote - 35"

Those are the top 5 in my book for the comparison, but some others to throw in to get some info on would be:
STI Chicane - 35"
EFX Motovator RT - 35"
The Patagonia SXT seems to be growing in popularity too, be nice to have some data on it, even tho it's only available up to 34"

I don't know if the Tensor DSR 350 - 35" is worth putting in the test...but it could be an oddball

I have my guess about who the winner will be, but I leave it to myself 馃榿

So far in my experience, the warrior tires from SATV really need to be "broke in" before they actually start to grab, and it is a dramatic difference between new and scuffed up for 100 miles, so that's something to consider too... I'm not sure if the rest are at full grip right out of the box, but both the XT & RT warriors got way better after running them a bit to break them in. I also ran to non-sticky pro-armor Crawler XG, and it was very awesome on the rocks, so I imagine it's sticky friend would be even better.

One other thing I've learned over the years, is there is a significant difference in tires that grip and crawl, vs ones that spin and crawl...and that's not necessarily a good vs bad situation, some tires will grab like crazy and still be very controllable while spinning, whereas some tires that can grip and crawl in a low throttle scenario, will go straight to crap if they start spinning.

When's this test going down? @RZR_Joe might be out that way and need to get in on the action for a third party evaluation! ( Small chance I could be too.... )

Aspiring Perfectionist
We need to get our hands on some Super ATV XT Warrior 35" sticky and System 3 XCR 350 - 35 or 36".
Joe's running the 36" System 3's now...and I have a set of sticky XT's that would still be ok for only low speed crawling use...by they're a 34 on 14's

craigstumph
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One of the contenders 35脳10 R15- 39lbs (advertised) 鈥 Super Sticky

We measured and weighed this tire and found the following:

Height inflated on 7" Muscle Wheel (beadlock) at 10 psi is 34.00"
Overall width is 10.5"
Tread width is 8.5"
Weight on tire tested before mounting is 52 lb 2 oz
15x7 4+3 Muscle wheel weight with rings, bolts,and valve stem is 18 lb 11oz
Wheel and tire together weigh 70 lb 13 oz

Note: Wheels are new from MRT and look good (pictures coming soon).

Attachments

Army Signals Retired
Now that is one good looking tire!

Premium Member
I'm following, but I want to know about this "Wall of Death" as my interest is piqued. Where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

Aspiring Perfectionist
I'm following, but I want to know about this "Wall of Death" as my interest is piqued. Where is it?

I'm wondering if he's not talking about the Wall of Doom in your home area? It doesn't quite seem as serious as I was expecting, and It's been done by a UTV...but still a good test of traction it looks like tho...

Registered
I'll be testing the System 3 XRC350 36s in a couple of weeks at Moab and Sand Hollow. I'm also going to bring my 35" Sticky Roxxzillas. The wall coming out of Pritchett Canyon is another good spot. So is Devils Hot Tub on Hells Revenge but I'm damn sure not putting my machine in that one :LOL:

Where is the "Wall of Death? ... curious also.

craigstumph
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be testing the System 3 XRC350 36s in a couple of weeks at Moab and Sand Hollow. I'm also going to bring my 35" Sticky Roxxzillas. The wall coming out of Pritchett Canyon is another good spot. So is Devils Hot Tub on Hells Revenge but I'm damn sure not putting my machine in that one :LOL:

The "Wall of Death" is located in central Utah about 3 hours from Sand Hollow. It is tougher than any of the previously mentioned walls in Sand Hollow or Moab. Let me know what you find out about the System 3 tires. We have a set of 35" System 3 tires we will be testing. Contacting you on the back channel Joe.

craigstumph
Discussion Starter #17

Central Utah.

Premium Member
I'm wondering if he's not talking about the Wall of Doom in your home area? It doesn't quite seem as serious as I was expecting, and It's been done by a UTV...but still a good test of traction it looks like tho...

We did a fun video where some of my crew were doing the Wall of Doom over and over again and they were mocking it. Then, a few weeks later, one of those guys rolled onto his roof. Crazy. Portals and the whole thing.

Premium Member
We did a fun video where some of my crew were doing the Wall of Doom over and over again and they were mocking it. Then, a few weeks later, one of those guys rolled onto his roof. Crazy. Portals and the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts