Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, thanks for looking at my post being a beginner...

Pulled the head off my 2008 RZR with 160 hours and 1500 miles. The compression in both cylinders was 140 respectively.

Decided to do the top end only, replace the valves with stainless stock and the seals. (Machine shop is doing the work for me..)

Wondering if I should just have the cylinders top ring cut and honed and replace the pistons and rings.

Looking at 10.2:1 Comp., Skirt Coated Wiseco's.

Question: Will I need to change fuel mappings for just a bit more compression? Also, is there a set of forged stock pistons, (or close to stock) you would recommend?

·
Registered
247 Posts
i wouldn't think you would have to worry about the fuel, but who ever you are getting the pistons from should be able to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense.. I just bought a new airbox as well. Got the valves from hpd. Might just get the pistons there as well.

Any advice on a fuel controller?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Power Commander is a good option. Allows you to add or subtract fuel throughout the entire range. You can take it to one of their tuning centers and they will custom map it for you as well.

Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Makes sense.. I just bought a new airbox as well. Got the valves from hpd. Might just get the pistons there as well.

While your talking with Darrel, you might want to check into the NEW roller cam that he's about ready to bring out. Suppose to really WAKE the little beast out. Tell him BlackBart said so, cause I'm waiting on mine now.

·
Slacker
94 Posts

While your talking with Darrel, you might want to check into the NEW roller cam that he's about ready to bring out. Suppose to really WAKE the little beast out. Tell him BlackBart said so, cause I'm waiting on mine now.
Welcome back, Bart. I read most of your threads concerning the clutches on these things. Being new to the RZR, I have a lot to learn and appreciate these kinds of threads and folks chiming in with their experiences. :pint:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
No problem Shawn, sorry bout the pictures being missing, lost them in photobucket, but slowing get them back into shape to add to the clutch writeup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the head to Cycle Dynamics here is Phoenix. Seems to be a pretty good shop and was recommend. Stopped by to chat with him today on pistons and he stated there might be a fair amount of cylinder and/or ring wear. Stated this was not uncommon on the Polaris 800 motors. Thought my compression issues may be more based on ring wear than valve seal issues.

I'll drop the cylinder block and pistons off to him to check and let everyone know what I find. Might just be time for a little bit larger bore?

Has anyone else had issues with cylinder wear abnormal or heavy ring wear? Just curious...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks... I'll mention it today... Just originally wanted to get the compression up now its turning into a complete rebuild!! (Ugh)

I like small block chevy's better... they are so much cheaper to do!

Actually the RZR is pretty fun to work on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts