Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title says it all. But to elaborate help me decide what would be best to use in central WI. I know the "S" is too wide for the Federal Forest trails in the northern part of the state, does anyone know of other trails in WI that are limited to 50"? I like the idea of being legal on 50" trails but could live without heading 3 hours north to ride, so not sure it's much of a loss? I'll be using it mostly in Jeunua and Adams counties for trails and some winter riding on the lakes. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think the title says it all. But to elaborate help me decide what would be best to use in central WI. I know the "S" is too wide for the Federal Forest trails in the northern part of the state, does anyone know of other trails in WI that are limited to 50"? I like the idea of being legal on 50" trails but could live without heading 3 hours north to ride, so not sure it's much of a loss? I'll be using it mostly in Jeunua and Adams counties for trails and some winter riding on the lakes. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!
My understanding is that the State of Wisconsin passed a law (affecting the entire State) earlier this Spring to where the wider 60" were legal across the state once each individual county adopted the State Law, which is currently being done.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
My understanding is that the State of Wisconsin passed a law (affecting the entire State) earlier this Spring to where the wider 60" were legal across the state once each individual county adopted the State Law, which is currently being done.
If that's the case, I would get an ATV and attach (center) a 61" board to the front and drop down strings with something heavy tied to the ends, just above the ground.....Then go for a drive on your favorite trails and see how a 60 width would take the trails and bridges. I was in the same boat and decided on the "S" and did exactly what I described. I also had a tape measure with me to get exact measurements. It's been awesome and I have not had a single instance where I had to turn back riding with ATV friends. Go S if the laws say it's OK. Maine is a 60" state too. -I'm sure there will be places I won't be able to go, but haven't found any yet on my regular runs. Northern Maine is more open too....On some of the trails you could ride two Ss side by each at high speed :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
the 50" rzr is the "only" side by side that is legal on "all" trails, federal, state or county in the state of Wisconsin. If it is over 50" it is "not" allowed on federal trails but can be operated on county and state trails or roads. This is direct from a DNR friend. They handed me a copy of the law which is called the pilot program. The law has been passed by the state and most counties although each township has the option to opt out by 2012!

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
actually, no....not all counties allow side by sides...wiutv.com has the info you need.

My LE is about 56" and is legal in enough counties to be worth running....but some counties have opted out of the UTV entirely, while others have width limits.

Best to check the "where to ride" link on the site.

·
Registered
649 Posts
actually, no....not all counties allow side by sides...wiutv.com has the info you need.

My LE is about 56" and is legal in enough counties to be worth running....but some counties have opted out of the UTV entirely, while others have width limits.

Best to check the "where to ride" link on the site.
That's why I stated "most" counties, not all!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I plan on using mine (if I get one) next year on WI trails...how is the 50" rzr on WI trails? I have never been on a trail up there. Does it take up too much room when other atvs are coming towards you?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Most of the wisconsin trails a wide enough to pass as they are the same trails we use for snowmobileing. Although some corners can be scary at times if you have an agressive rider blast around a tight turn at you! We ride the forest roads more than the trails so we don't run into as much traffic from atv's as some would. I'd like to think we have a relatively safe trail system but there are accidents quite often, mostly from speed or alcohol or both! If you ever do decide to head this direction let me know. We own rental cabins in the Valhalla Recreation Area that's tied directly to 100's of miles of trails right from your cabin door!

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
50" is no issue on trails for width...some of the ATV's are that wide, or close...we had two RZR's out this past Sunday (mine at 56, the other at 60) and a couple spots are tight regardless of what you ride. Just gota be aware.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've got a standard RZR LE and I'm glad I didn't go with the S version. I've put over 1600 miles on this year throughout Northern WI and the UP and there are plenty of gates that are really tight for me (even on areas that are "utv friendly") and giving up all the areas that are on Federal properties really limits the areas you can ride. I haven't seen any reason for someone who's going to drive on trails at the speeds that you should for saftly reasons that would need an S. It's not like there's more passenger room. I'll be the first to admit...they do look cooler but I would recommend sticking with a standard RZR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts