Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dying to ride the RZR but it's just been too cold. The shape of it just seems to funnel the wind right into the driver and passenger's faces so I thought I'd try to deflect it a little. I got some 3/16 cast acrylic and made these deflectors. They don't stick out as far as the pictures make them look. They come to about the middle of the mirrors.

They work much better than I expected and an added benefit is the reduction in the amount of dust that comes in. They're held on by coated P clamps so they'll be easy to take off in warm weather....or not. I really like the less dust thing. Acrylic panels were $12 each and I had the clamps in my stash. Took a couple of hours including several attempts at a cardboard template before I got it right.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Nice job! And yes they do help alot with redirecting the cold air. I've been using them for a few years during winter. This year I also figured out a way to reuse my oem door nets as make shift window nets. They help with the cold wind also.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Nice! Where did you get the clamps?
I use these. I bought the 1 5/8" diameter they hold better to the 1 3/4" cage tubes. Honestly a person could use the 1 1/2" also and they would hold even better than the 1 5/8". I can still move mine with a little force with them as tight as they will go.
https://m.delcity.net/store/Stainless-Steel-Clamps/p_800833.h_66787

They also have the vinyl coated ones like the OP is using.
https://m.delcity.net/store/Vinyl-Coated-Steel-Clamps/p_800837.h_67078

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep...they're pretty common. I work in a CaseIH dealership and we have them laying around as surplus when we do hydraulic plumbing or electronic cable routing mods so we all pack a few off. A bonus of using them is they give just a tiny bit of flex making the deflector a little less rigid. Without thinking I headed down the interstate with it on the trailer at 70+ until it came to me that they may not handle that kind of wind. Pulled over and checked and they seemed fine.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yep...they're pretty common. I work in a CaseIH dealership and we have them laying around as surplus when we do hydraulic plumbing or electronic cable routing mods so we all pack a few off. A bonus of using them is they give just a tiny bit of flex making the deflector a little less rigid. Without thinking I headed down the interstate with it on the trailer at 70+ until it came to me that they may not handle that kind of wind. Pulled over and checked and they seemed fine.
Mine have been to around 90mph on the interstate! Lol! No problems. I did however break 1 of the wings in the woods once, got too close to a tree and had to back up. POW! But that was my fault, never had a problem since. They do tend to get pretty scratched up, but I use 1/4" plexi with no hard coat. I just use a headlight polishing kit to polish em back up every year.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Brian:
I didn't think RZR's would be aloud on the interstate, oh maybe that is why you were doing 90mph so you didn't get caught.
Les

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Brian:
I didn't think RZR's would be aloud on the interstate, oh maybe that is why you were doing 90mph so you didn't get caught.
Les
Egads!!! :surprise I would hate to think what would happen to my RZR if it would run 90MPH! Lol! It was hard enough to get the vehicle puling it on the trailer that fast!!!

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Clem your side shields look very professional!
I did a simple version by buying a clear clip board, cutting it in half and just pinching it between my windshield and frame. Don't know how long it will last, but it was only $2. Like you said it deflects the wind pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Hey...whatever works. I may have gotten a little carried away with the size of the things but they're really not that noticeable unless you're looking for them. One thing I'm having to get used to is not reaching for the cage pipe when I climb out of it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Blem53:
I'm liking your work, we put a top, front windshield and rear window frames on then put in all laminated safety glass. I'm thinking your deflectors may cut down on some of the dust, going to try it.
Les

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go for it. That was a benefit I hadn't even thought about. I ride on a lot of gravel roads to get to the good places around here and dust is a problem. I usually run 25-30 on those roads and if the wind is strong from the wrong direction or you meet a vehicle you obviously still get some dust. But the otherwise constant boiling of dust inside is gone.
Normally, opening the bottom of the windshield to the first position (about 3 inches) helps a lot...but it's waaay too cold for that now. I'm thinking the combination of the two will pretty much get rid of the dust problem completely once spring gets here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've still got the first one I made out of lumber yard Plexiglas. I can get you some dimensions this evening.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made it to somewhat match my roofline and my Tusk doors so it may not work in every situation. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Clem your side shields look very professional!
I did a simple version by buying a clear clip board, cutting it in half and just pinching it between my windshield and frame. Don't know how long it will last, but it was only $2. Like you said it deflects the wind pretty good.
Ingenious using the clear clip board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts