Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and read a few threads, but wondering if there any particular winch that's above and beyond lately for an RZR. I've got 3500lb Polaris on my ATV and it hardly seems like it can handle deep "sticks". It really bogs when asked for a lot. Is a XT30 Warn going to be strong enough to pull out a 1000lb RZR from the mud? What are the other options? Gotta have a winch in Maine.

Also, how bad is it to install them. I've read some stories of taking nearly the whole get to get correctly mounted.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Warn XT30 here. It, too, gets a little bogged down when the stuff gets thick. But, it always keeps pulling. Took me about two hours to mount the plate, winch, run the wiring, zip-tie everything, etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have a XT30. gets a little bogged down, but that is fine for a winch, they are geared to do that. took maybe 2 - 3 beers to install, and the RZR is already predrilled to mount the solenoid on the firewall, you will have to use the red/black wires for the winch to solenoid connection, and the yellow/blue wires for the battery. I was able to install the entire thing without taking too much apart.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I have the Viper 4500 Elite. works good for me, but I am in sand, not mud.

if you need more pulling power, use a snatch block and double the winch line back to the RZR... that will give mechanical advantage and your 3500lb winch will pull 7000lb.

H

·
0 Posts
Funride...I have the 3500# Polaris on my 4...and so far it gets the job done...SLOW as hell under a real load but hasn't stalled yet. And like Tuf-Skin mentioned...I ALWAYS carry a snatch block just in case....
With that said I only went with it because it was basically given to me in the deal...I wanted something larger...
I was going to get a Warn 4000#(need a special mount IIRC)...but with the 3500 falling in my lap I figured I'd give it a shot. Now if I need a new one after hearing so many positive reviews on the Vipers I'll likely look hard at them.

As for the install...it is really a breeze. Bolt up the mount throw in the winch. Mount the contactor and run power cables and remote wiring..nothing to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
only took me about an hour to install the winch and bumper havent had a chance to use it yet but it is a emp bumper and a runva 3500 pound winch. the winch has a lower gear redution than most i looked at but still seems to work pretty fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this is good to hear that it's not that bad. I've heard others say it's a real PITA and have the dealer install.

Thinking I'll go Warn 3K XT. My currently Polaris 3500 locks up and you have to move it back and forth a bit, then it will free spool out. It never used to do that and it's less than 2 years old. Has been used a lot though.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is there anything other than Viper / Warn / Polaris ? I guess there's a bunch of Chinese crap, but not interested in no-name junk. Any quality other winches you can think of?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So is there anything other than Viper / Warn / Polaris ? I guess there's a bunch of Chinese crap, but not interested in no-name junk. Any quality other winches you can think of?
Ramsey.

H

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funride...I have the 3500# Polaris on my 4...and so far it gets the job done...SLOW as hell under a real load but hasn't stalled yet. And like Tuf-Skin mentioned...I ALWAYS carry a snatch block just in case....
With that said I only went with it because it was basically given to me in the deal...I wanted something larger...
I was going to get a Warn 4000#(need a special mount IIRC)...but with the 3500 falling in my lap I figured I'd give it a shot. Now if I need a new one after hearing so many positive reviews on the Vipers I'll likely look hard at them.

As for the install...it is really a breeze. Bolt up the mount throw in the winch. Mount the contactor and run power cables and remote wiring..nothing to it.
Think I'm gunna go Warn with the wireless remote. Like that idea to have the option to be away from the machine in nasty conditions. Like the lifetime warranty a lot too. It's got to work when asked, which seems to be often on an ATV anyway.

Rod....Can you post a couple of pics of where the factory winch is installed? Figure the Warn will mount in same location. I take it I'll need to buy a mounting plate, or can a winch bolt right onto a RZR?

Yeah, 3000lbs with a snatch block should cover 99%.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ramsey.
jm....Do you own Ramsey? Any particular model? Known for good stuff? What about them....
Had an old Ramsey on a truck of mine. Very good winch. Supplier to the military if I recall correctly. Problem is at the UTV/ATV size you have a choice between 3000 lbs. and 5k. Might be a case of too little and too much.

I have the Viper Elite 4500 w/synthetic on my RZR 4. Install was pretty easy. Works well for me. Came with a dash switch and two remotes, (one key chain sized)

I did a little bit of research and found that most, if not all, winches in that size range are made in China these days. So I went with price.

As for warranty, my take on that is that is of no good when you are out on the trail. It either works or it doesn't.

I did consider installing a hitch mount at the front so I could swap the winch end to end if needed. But, frankly, I don't anticipate that need where I ride.

Good luck with your choice! :)

H

·
0 Posts

Think I'm gunna go Warn with the wireless remote. Like that idea to have the option to be away from the machine in nasty conditions. Like the lifetime warranty a lot too. It's got to work when asked, which seems to be often on an ATV anyway.

Rod....Can you post a couple of pics of where the factory winch is installed? Figure the Warn will mount in same location. I take it I'll need to buy a mounting plate, or can a winch bolt right onto a RZR?

Yeah, 3000lbs with a snatch block should cover 99%.

Yeah I was going to go with the XT series if I hadn't have gotten this one..wanted a 40 but I think there is some issues with mounting it in the stock location..think someone has a mount to do it though...
The 30 should bolt right up using a standard mount kit..
I'll get a pic of where it mounts for ya..
Here is what the mount kits look like. 2 angles for winch mounting and the other piece to mount the fairlead.

H

·
0 Posts
Glad you asked me to take these pics..I just noticed that with the rope wound coming off the top like it is the rope rubs the frame where the fairlead mount is bolted!!!!!!!!

Gotta fix that...can't believe it hasn't ruined the rope!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I installed a 4,000 lb Viper Max Winch with AMSTEEL RED synthetic winch rope and dashboard switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Contactor mounted on "firewall", view from right front wheel..
Thanks. So the "contactor" or solenoid attaches wherever you can find a place up under the right front wheel, or did you say there was a place from the factory to locate it?

Maybe I can bargain for a cheap Polaris 3500 like you. I'd take a $100 Polaris over a $500 Warn at the moment. I don't anticipate taking an RZR into the god-awful mess I took my XP through. It's just too nice a machine for that kind of abuse. I could be wrong though.... :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Contactor mounted on "firewall", view from right front wheel..
Thanks. So the "contactor" or solenoid attaches wherever you can find a place up under the right front wheel, or did you say there was a place from the factory to locate it?

Maybe I can bargain for a cheap Polaris 3500 like you. I'd take a $100 Polaris over a $500 Warn at the moment. I don't anticipate taking an RZR into the god-awful mess I took my XP through. It's just too nice a machine for that kind of abuse. I could be wrong though.... :)
there is already holes drilled on the passenger side firewall that will fit the polaris or Warn solenoid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts