Votes: 149 15.8%
  • Rope

Votes: 795 84.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I like rope. You can handle it without gloves and dont have to worry about getting your hands cut. When it breaks it just falls to the ground and you can tie a square knot in it and be back in action in a few minutes.

The only down side I see is it is more susceptible to frays from rocks, roots, etc.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
rope:
Pros: less dangerous if it happens to break.
can tie a knot if it does break and keep winching
lighter
smaller so you can hold more length on the spool
doesn't cut your hand

Cons: Will dry rot after a few years if you mud a lot and become weaker.

just what I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Web Design & Management
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I dont like about the cable is how jacked up it gets on the spool after you use it a few times.

Newbie question but I assume you can just unwind the cable and replace it with rope?

·
Addicted
3,634 Posts
JoomGO; Newbie question but I assume you can just unwind the cable and replace it with rope?[/QUOTE said:
Yes, you can replace a cable with rope. Make sure your spool is free of burs/knicks, and also replace your roller fairlead with a hawse.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Rope..

The first time you grab a steel winch cable without gloves that's been spooled for a year or two you'll wish you had bought rope. Rust, grease, wire splinters and cuts...F'that. Winch a buddy out of a mud hole and have to go get a damn tetanas shot. LOL

Never even thought about the emergency re-splicability (is that a word?)...but that's awesome!

·
Web Design & Management
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a great avatar!

I've not used my winch yet but wanted to replace the cable with a synthetic rope but wasn't sure how well the rope held up/worked.

Any particular brand to consider?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I like rope. You can handle it without gloves and dont have to worry about getting your hands cut. When it breaks it just falls to the ground and you can tie a square knot in it and be back in action in a few minutes.

The only down side I see is it is more susceptible to frays from rocks, roots, etc.
X2 agree 100%. Love winching without gloves tho. And the safety issue of if it snaps it wont cut my head off.

Not to mention you can tie a not in the rope if you must.

·
6skinner
1,231 Posts
I'll never buy rope again. Broke mine about 10 times. Always unwound it and dried it after every ride. No frays in it or anything, just broke damn near every time I used it. My brother uses the amsteel blue and it has broken many times, he just went back to steel cable as I am doing. It's nice to work with, but in the swamps we ride, it doesn't cut it. I don't care what anyone says, it's not in any way stronger than steel cable. I've never broken a steel cable in my life, the 4 or 5 people I know that used rope have gone back to steel, it's far more reliable. Rope rots and frays, then breaks.

Sorry for the long post but I really hate that stuff, it's left me stranded way too many times to even consider it. Now if I could use the 3/4" thick stuff on my winch I'm sure I'd love it, it's nice to work with and far less dangerous

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like rope for 3 reasons. I don't have to worry about cutting my hands, i don't have to worry about it snapping back and gashing me/somebody open, and it's easy to toss over to a friend to hook up. Now i will say that it is easier to break IMO, but i think if you use it correctly it will last like it is intended to. I have a 6' nylon sheath on the hook end of mine to protect it and a stainless eye to connect the hook. I try not to hook it back to itself unless i really have to (I make sure the sheath is covering whatever the rope is wrapped around) and i don't snatch on it.

·
6skinner
1,231 Posts
Even with a 'tree saver' the stuff doesn't seem to last. All we have run it on is two rzrs and neither of us will ever use it again. The rest was one quads and they'll never use it again either. It's VERY nice to work with, I just wish it was even half as strong as they say it is, I'd never go back to steel cable cuz its a pain, but it's always got me home whereas the rope rarely has.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts