Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my winch. It had quit working so I disconnected it from the battery but before removing it altogether I thought I would do some trouble shooting. I took my jumper cables and ran them from the battery on my truck to the battery leads on the winch and it works great. So I thought maybe I just had a bad connection to the rzr battery, I cleaned everything very well hooked the winch back to the rzr battery and NOTHING it will not work. I guess it could be my battery but I am heaving no other problems that would lead me to think the battery is bad. :question:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a Xtreme winch not sure if I have ever seen that brand before, my son bought it off ebay I think. The wiring is good I had the jumper cables hooked to the cable ends that go to the RZR battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winch works great when hooked to my truck battery, will not work when hooked to the RZR battery. So how could it be the relay.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
When you hooked the jumpers from truck to winch did you hook it straight to the winch or to the leads that hooked to the Rzr battery?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
So the wiring is good, it wasnt clear exactly where you had it hooked up at.

First, check the voltage on the RZR battery, make sure the RZR is running. You do have the key on correct?????

Next,Try grounding it with the jumper cable but using the RZR battery for power(positive)....just to check if the ground is good.

Not sure after that.

·
Officially Addicted
694 Posts
Something has to be grounded on the rzr. You are bringing a new ground from your truck, so the rzr frame now becomes a floating ground. Check your wires and see if one is worn or pinched.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@kymedic yes the jumper cables are hooked to the ends that were hooked to the rzr battery. Voltage on the rzr battery is 12.8 V. Also I can connect the wench to the rzr battery then also run my jumper cables from my truck to the rzr battery and the wench will work.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have had inadvertent Winch problems for over a year now but trouble shot it back from the winch and found a loose small lead that came from the controller and plugged into the controller. Works perfect now,
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts