Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went with the SuperATV 6000# Winch (I know, overkill)
The way it mounts, it look like the rope coming out over the winch spool is a straight shot
The winch advises the rope come out/in from under the spool, with the under the spool option the rope will always run along the Fairlead....
Is this a problem,

It is all the way the SuperATV mounting system works...
Winches advice you always spool under

Any thoughts
How does you winch spool? Over or Under??

TIA, IrnBear

·
Registered
807 Posts
I haven't seen one yet that'll winch over the top. The manual will tell you the best way.
Been doing a ton of research on a new winchs and their accessories. No such thing as over kill regarding winching.
IMO get a couple of real good snatch blocks and a rope extender, maybe a Bubba Rope. Pricey but worth it.
Practice a couple times using it in the driveway and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: IrnBear

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen one yet that'll winch over the top. The manual will tell you the best way.
Been doing a ton of research on a new winchs and their accessories. No such thing as over kill regarding winching.
IMO get a couple of real good snatch blocks and a rope extender, maybe a Bubba Rope. Pricey but worth it.
Practice a couple times using it in the driveway and you'll be good to go.
Thank you for responding
My research says the same thing
I'm going to go ahead and leave it with the under feed
I'll just have to keep an eye on the fairlead, since the rope will always be running along it.. No way to avoid that..
It's' almost as though SuperATV should have put the fairlead openning lower in their mounting kit
No worries though, just going to keep an eye on it, as I should anyway :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was unaware which direction the rope spools on mattered, I have my Warn mounted upside down with the freespool lever pointing toward the drivers side, I did respool mine so the rope Feeds straight through the fairlead on to the spool, it would be considered the "bottom" of the winch as it is upside down. Honestly I have not used it to pull much since it has been on this machine. Should I really respool it to feed at an angle down to the "top" of the spool instead?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was unaware which direction the rope spools on mattered, I have my Warn mounted upside down with the freespool lever pointing toward the drivers side, I did respool mine so the rope Feeds straight through the fairlead on to the spool, it would be considered the "bottom" of the winch as it is upside down. Honestly I have not used it to pull much since it has been on this machine. Should I really respool it to feed at an angle down to the "top" of the spool instead?
This is what I have found out from a Jeep'er group I belong to
No matter how your winch is mounted, upside down, rightside up, you still are either spooling over or under.
The only issue I have possibly found with your application is the winch break might not function with the way yours is mounted. But there are good arguments on that.
See pic of convo for what I have learned so far.
I have sent an email to SuperATV to see what they have to say

Thanks for joining the conversation

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the SATV mounted to mine. Directions indicated it was to mount with the power to the drivers side. Made the winch upside down with the emblem upside down and feeding off the top. I called and they assured me that was correct. Pulled out of a deep mud hole a couple of weeks ago and worked perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the SATV mounted to mine. Directions indicated it was to mount with the power to the drivers side. Made the winch upside down with the emblem upside down and feeding off the top. I called and they assured me that was correct. Pulled out of a deep mud hole a couple of weeks ago and worked perfectly.
Interesting thing is that their video shows the power on the passenger wide, thus the winch upright🤪🤔🧐

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think your current configuration would definitely weaken the tensile strength of your line. Also although your fairing is polished one of the downsides of synthetic line is they are very susceptible to abrasion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chatted with SuperATV
Going to go with my original plan
Everything mounted as is
Swap the blue and yellow wires, thus swapping poles
Motor doesn't care whether it is going in or out, same power
Also, from what I can figure out, this winch has in and out brakes

Thanks for the input
Bradley

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy with my Install :cool:

Keyed Power ON
Rockers OFF

Keyed Power Off
Winch Rocker ON, thus power to IN/OUT Rocker, wired so all lights on rocker are on when power is to rocker :)
Winch Power Rocker has power with Key on or off

·
Registered
807 Posts
these instructions were taken from my new Warn VRX 45-S manual regarding winding the winch rope.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Man that just looks extremely off and incorrect.

If it works, it works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's an interesting conundrum
My SuperATV winch says, the rope needs to go under.. No warnings about why or why not (like your Warn paperwork shows.
If you look at the Polaris winch pic on there site, it goes over the top in the pic

Other then re-engineering the mount, I don't really have much choice.
The SuperATV winch box and literature mentions Brakes in the plurel, so I have to assume it has an in and and out brake.

Thanks for looking and thank you for the info

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue with the Super ATV winch. You have to use common sense. That cable better come straight through the fairlead. The winch doesn't care which way is up or which way it winds. But 6000 lbs not coming straight through the fairlead could be dangerous or at a minimum cause damage. I called Superatv and they knew they had issues with their instructions. I had to rewind my winch and swap blue and yellow wires to make it work properly and get all the buttons and remote to work right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same issue with the Super ATV winch. You have to use common sense. That cable better come straight through the fairlead. The winch doesn't care which way is up or which way it winds. But 6000 lbs not coming straight through the fairlead could be dangerous or at a minimum cause damage. I called Superatv and they knew they had issues with their instructions. I had to rewind my winch and swap blue and yellow wires to make it work properly and get all the buttons and remote to work right.
Exactly what I did as well
As explained in my installed update :)

Thank you for chiming in :cool:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Is it then brand specific? I haven't called Warn about it as it clearly states that it must be spooled under.
I agree with the straight shot, but that's a mounting issue and may need to use a different mount plate.
I had looked through several different Warn docs for UTV winches. They indicate wind from underneath. But it can be mounted upside down if you need top wind.
Not confused, just conflicting statements. Docs say one thing people say another. Kinda like Polaris torque spec on hubs....lol

Reactions: LB72020RZRPRO

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is a heavily debated topic if you search hard enough 😋
If you watch the SuperATV video of the Pro XP mounting, it has to be going over... Yet he wires it with yellow to yellow and blue to blue and he doesn't change the switch.. So I'm not sure what I am seeing on that video.
One of the arguments I found was about the Safety Braking of the Winch, going in or out.
If you are lowering an object down with your winch, thus going out, does it still have the Safety Brake
If you are raising an object up with you winch, thus going in, does it still have the Safety Brake

SuperATV, which seems pretty reputable, gave me the thumbs up on my setup
Thus I'm happy and trust my setup

Some of the debates say Brand Specific
Yet again, my paperwork says to spool under🤪

·
Registered
807 Posts
@IrnBear
did your winch rope come with an eyelet/thimble on the end of the rope??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep’ers, it was already part of the synthetic rope. Hook eyelets to it and the rubber bumper is behind it...
Is that good or bad?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts