Votes: 44 7.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the consensus?

For LOOKS and even more important, FUNCTION, do you prefer your winch to be mounted hidden in the frame or exposed on the front bumper/brushguard?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
My 800 it was in the stock location. On my XP I built a bumper to hold it. IMO the stock location sucks if you use your winch. If you have a winch for that just in case time you need it ok. If you use it on most rides or if you tend to need it in a hurry often move it out on the bumper. Stock is hard to get to and if your stuck in mud it's almost always under water when you need it. Which means your sticking your hand down in the munk hunting it.

Btw just cause its on a bumper doesn't mean it's unprotected. Infact I think it's better for them

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i've had mine in both places. the only plus to having it behind the bumper in the frame is that its closer to the axis of the front wheels which is the best place to pull from. HOWEVER, it exposes it to a lot of mud and water and you can't see the cable when you wind it back up so its very easy to bind or break a cable. Thats why i have mine on a bumper now. All of this is functional reasons. I couldn't care less about how a winch looks. Thats not what its on the vehicle for.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wanted mine out of the mud, so bought a bumper to set it on,, also, have ruined winches from "element" eposure, wanted to reduce that mucha s possible.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My RZR S and Sportsman 850 XP both have the factory (inside mount) winch mounts and i hate them both. I'm getting my new Outback bumper for the RZR tomorrow. I can't wait to relocate my winch. So tired of trying to blindly find my winch when its underneath mud and junk.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
For those that don't like it being that low because it's burried in the mud when you need it, why not just connect the hook to the bumper before you go mudding so its easier to get to?
Kind of hard to find the free spool switch. also you wind up all of that mud into the winch cable.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
For those that don't like it being that low because it's burried in the mud when you need it, why not just connect the hook to the bumper before you go mudding so its easier to get to?

You still have to reach the side of it to reach the free spin release. Which is as bad if not more of a pain then getting to the hook

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I love it on on the bumper for function and looks - I had it in the stock location prior 2 rzrs and is a PITA all around there

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Must have a very strong bumper & mounting to put on bumper. Will rip bumper & mounting location off or bend parts of frame.
Totally agree. Most of these A/M bumpers are designed to just look good and are held-on with little more than someones imagination. Functionally, optimally, and in the best of all worlds, the winch NEEDS to mount directly to the frame. My two-bits............

Cheers

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who makes a bumper that mounts strong enough then?

I like the idea of ease of getting to the free spool switch and minding the wrap on the way back in etc.......PLUS, I might just want to admire that VIPER ELITE 5000 that I am saving my pennies for.:yahoo:

I do not currently have a winch.

I really like the RACERTECH front bumper because of the frame mounting but ain't no place to mount a winch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What about rear mount, sitting in rear buck. Will need to protect rope where it runs through cab - but means you can also run it out the back.
Been competing in winch chalenge events last few years in Land Rovers. Used to use rear winch and feed up to top of roll cage in the centre of vehicle so you could hold on side slopes or even lift vehicle if need be.
Ended up having 3 winches.
In uk now using air operated free spool - so can be operated from anywhere around vehicle.
Also on rear buck you can keep winch and rope out the sh1t. Wouldn't want wire unless seldom used. Synthetic can also run through composite fairlead - which means no rollers or bearings.
Only had rzr a short while and not looked at logistics of this yet. Central tube for rope to run through cab could be made integral to roll cage structure - could even put on a couple of gun clips.
Any thoughts????????????

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really like the RACERTECH front bumper because of the frame mounting but ain't no place to mount a winch![/QUOTE said:
Racertech and motoalliance just got together the end of last year and put together a super nice winch bumper. From what I understand they will start shipping this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Exposed on mounted on a warn front bumper for me. Looks good and plenty strong.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Kind of hard to find the free spool switch. also you wind up all of that mud into the winch cable.
You will have the mud in about the same amount of cable whether its in or out far enough to hook to something higher....lol I know I wouldn't want the extra weight of the bumper needed to support the winch, on top of having the winch out that far forward. I guess I won't ever know the need for it there since I'm not a mudder.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts