Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Mud Life Crisis
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it best to let the winch rope out with the remote or to free spool it? The last time I went mud riding, several of the guys told me not to free spool my winch out. Why??? I have the 3500lb Polaris blue rope winch with remote.

·
Addicted
3,658 Posts
I free spool with zero problems.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
When I have needed to let out more than a few feet of cable I have always used freespool and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
As an avid free spooler I say free spool away! I would love to hear their reasoning behind that one!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
My only thought is winching out the line would regrease the gears under a no load condition rather under a load. JMHO
"Regrease"?? Or did you mean "release"? Either way, it doesn't matter; it's less wear and tear on everything to just free-wheel the rope/cable out, and save the winch-motor, gears, and battery for actual winching. My two-bits.......

Cheers

·
Mud Life Crisis
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The battery was my big concern too. It didn't make sense to me to not free spool. I didn't ask them why, just wasn't the right time to be asking questions. I was already free spooling when they were saying to use the remote instead. I'll keep free spooling (hopefully I won't need it that much)!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Using the Free Spool Function on a Winch « « ProMark Offroad Blog ProMark Offroad Blog

I'm sure there is a better source than this, it was just the first one that google gave me.

Why would the manufacture even put that option on the winch if it was better to winch the line out. I guess I'm just simple minded and try to not over analyze the small obvious stuff. However, that's just me and i don't have a mechanical engineering degree either.

G

·
Huh? Don't use the free spool to pay out the cable? Im lost in that one..maybe they are confusing letting out cable with low load with reeling it in with no/low load..

·
Mud Life Crisis
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm sure there is no correlation, but my winch broke today. When I press the In on the remote, it just clicks. The out works and if I keep it pressed, it eventually reversed itself. Gonna check the cylindoid and to from there.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
the only free spooling problem you'll ever run into is if you jerk the line out and backlash it. if you start pulling with the cable backlashed, you probably wont be able to free spool it the next time you try.

If you dont keep tension on the line letting it out with the motor, you'll backlash it just the same.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
the only free spooling problem you'll ever run into is if you jerk the line out and backlash it. if you start pulling with the cable backlashed, you probably wont be able to free spool it the next time you try.

If you dont keep tension on the line letting it out with the motor, you'll backlash it just the same.
Interesting. I don't seem to have that problem with my synthetic cable (rope).

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can sort of see you're concern with this backlash issue. Although, i believe the issue you're talking about happens when you're retracting the winch after you're done using your winch since there needs to be tension.

·
poorbuthappy
401 Posts
I think the term is bird caging. if you put the wire on correctly the wire should be ok with no tension on it. powering the cable out just adds heat to the motor. being sealed for water proofing does not help with the heat. might cause winch to fail faster?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Completely agree that you should free spool out, however i was trying to let him know that the issue he was talking about wasn't caused by free spooling.

I think we are referring to the same thing just wording it differently. Because i think it would be a little difficult to free spool the cord back in.

So I'm gathering that the majority here agree that you should free spool to answer the original question.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts