Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was changing my oil on saturday fired it up and no oil got to the top end, it was ticking like crazy let it run for a couple minutes, about 4 to see if it would build oil pressure, never did... so i brought it to the dealer and they said it was the oil pressure valve, had a burr from factory and closed shut not letting any oil to the top end... dealer said the oil pressure is good now and everything seems fine, they didnt change the oil again or nothing, my concerns are should i have to change the oil again just in case some fillings came off of the unlubricated parts? and is my engine gonna be ok in the long term? it only has about 80 miles i dont want a piece of junk with 8 hours on it...should i get rid of it or what?

H

·
0 Posts
4 minutes with no oil is a LONG time. Is it under warranty? If so Id be asking for at least a rebuild. I'd definitely drain the oil and if it has metal in it the engine will need lots of love..
I'd have to go back and look at the oil passage diagrams but if it was the oil pressure relief valve I doubt anything was getting much oil.
Does it seem to run fine?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no warranty, i told them to at least change the oil and they still wont even do that even if i ask, they say, well you just changed it....they said the oil residue on the head should have been enough for it to no cause serious damage but i just dont believe it and i told em i dont wand a piece of shit with 8 hours on it but they wont do anything for me even if i ask for it. no warranty but it is clearly a defect from new, do i stand a chance trying to get a complete rebuild at no cost to me?

edit: they said it seems to run fine, i dont have time to go see it till saturday but im ticked off now that you say it should have a rebuild im getting shafted by my dealer

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah I would look into a top end. That defiently took life off the internals. I would go back and tell them to file with Polaris for the hours and work that they are about to do.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wish they would but i can guarantee they wont want to do it, should i go and trade it in on a can am or what?

H

·
0 Posts
no warranty, i told them to at least change the oil and they still wont even do that even if i ask, they say, well you just changed it....they said the oil residue on the head should have been enough for it to no cause serious damage but i just dont believe it and i told em i dont wand a piece of shit with 8 hours on it but they wont do anything for me even if i ask for it. no warranty but it is clearly a defect from new, do i stand a chance trying to get a complete rebuild at no cost to me?

edit: they said it seems to run fine, i dont have time to go see it till saturday but im ticked off now that you say it should have a rebuild im getting shafted by my dealer
Well if it's out of warranty you are pretty much stuck. Also..and I'm not trying to be mean but letting it run 4 minutes when you suspected it didn't have oil pressure means you own some of the responsibility. I say either change the oil and if its clean maybe hope for the best, maybe you got very lucky..or tear it down..obviously if you decide to "get rid of it" full disclosure. In any case even idling for 4 minutes if it had no oil pressure it shortened the time to rebuild

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for sure man, im not crooked i wouldnt wanna pass someone else my problems without them knowing but i dont like the fact that i have a 1 year old machine with next to no time on it and in my mind it will never be the same, everything but the engine is in great shape but this has me nervous. i took the advice from a friend that works on atvs alot, he said to let it idle for a couple minutes and see if it builds up pressure but it didnt. maybe i should ride it till it blows, which hopefully would take a long time but i dont like this. im gonna call polaris' hotline tomorrow and see what they tell me

H

·
0 Posts
For future reference if an engine doesn't build oil pressure in seconds..shut it down and investigate. Good luck...sucky situation. Get back, drain the oil and go from there

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im gonna call them again tomorrow and tell them i want the oil changed and if there is filings i want the top end taken apart and looked at

H

·
0 Posts
Well if they know it ran without oil pressure for 4 minutes and they didn't drain the oil and ispect it after they fixed the issue and circulated the oil ..I'm not too sure I'd war them tearing my engine apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if it was just idling for a couple minutes without reving i wouldn't worry about it. your engine still had a film of oil all over the place, the ticking noise you heard was extra clearance in the valve train since the lifters weren't getting any pressure. don't go spending hundreds or more on a rebuild, the motor is fine just ride.

H

·
0 Posts
if it was just idling for a couple minutes without reving i wouldn't worry about it. your engine still had a film of oil all over the place, the ticking noise you heard was extra clearance in the valve train since the lifters weren't getting any pressure. don't go spending hundreds or more on a rebuild, the motor is fine just ride.
True on the noise..I assumed he knew this from his first post..whether or not the cam and or bearings were worn is another matter..coat of oil may oray not have prevented damage to the cam and bearings... Like I said he may have gotten lucky..may not have. I'd get it back and drain the oil if its clean yes I'd hope for the best and just run it.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
To answer your question, "will engine be ok in long run"... hard to say. I am very skeptical of the diagnosis/repair from your dealer. You didn't say how they repaired it. Did they replace the PRV dowel, or file the burr off? or something else ?

i was changing my oil on saturday fired it up and no oil got to the top end, it was ticking like crazy let it run for a couple minutes, about 4 to see if it would build oil pressure, never did... so i brought it to the dealer and they said it was the oil pressure valve, had a burr from factory and closed shut not letting any oil to the top end... dealer said the oil pressure is good now and everything seems fine, they didnt change the oil again or nothing, my concerns are should i have to change the oil again just in case some fillings came off of the unlubricated parts? and is my engine gonna be ok in the long term? it only has about 80 miles i dont want a piece of junk with 8 hours on it...should i get rid of it or what?
Incorrect information from your dealer.
Makes me wonder what was really wrong...
1) PRV spring keeps valve closed, which is full oil pressure. Once the pressure gets to high(above PRV set point) it OPENS, not closes. The opposite of what your dealer told you.
2)An open prv will stop oil from going to all the engine parts not just the top end. Your dealer said just the top end was starved of oil. Not true if what they said about the PRV is true.
3)Ticking is valve train type noise, knocking is crank type noise.

I question why, after 8 hours of cold starts and hot engine running, that would cause the prv to open and close many times, would the prv "burr" decide to hang up in the full open position starving the engine of oil pressure. If it had a burr big enough to hang it up even with that spring pushing it closed, my bet is it would of done it the first time it started up.
Not to mention, with a 'burr' big enough to hang dowel pin open, against spring pressure, would be difficult if not impossible to install in its bore to start with. Unless someone drove it in there with a punch or something.Or put it in with the chamfer in the wrong direction.
Don't confuse this with dowel pins that are hard to remove. Totally different thing than a prv jammed open against spring pressure. The more I think about this, the more difficult I find it is to believe.

"oil residue on the head should have been enough for it to no cause serious damage"
How does oil puddled in the head help lubricate the babbitt crank bearings, or cam, or balance shaft bearings or any other oil pressure serviced area?

So, this is what I get from your posts. RZR was fine till you changed the oil, then immediately after you had a bad engine noise.

Something is going on here more than we, or maybe you(op), know.
You didn't happen to take out the bolt behind the oil filter when changing the oil, thinking it was the oil fill did you ?

If it were mine, and there is not some other agenda at work here, I would just drive it and watch/listen to it and see how it does. Stay close to camp or home to start with. Maybe do a compression test, and a hot oil pressure test first.

Only 8 hours, and no warranty? Don't understand that...

jmo

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's gonna be fine I actually did an oil change on a atv once I was totally drunk and forgot to put oil back in... I ran that thing for a few mins up and down the road like a dooshbag. It was making alot of noise then it dawned on me. I filled it with oil and it's got like 4500 miles on same motor. All i did was for the next tank of gas i ran it like it was being broke in again don't know if it mattered but it never needed a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To answer your question, "will engine be ok in long run"... hard to say. I am very skeptical of the diagnosis/repair from your dealer. You didn't say how they repaired it. Did they replace the PRV dowel, or file the burr off? or something else ?

answer: They said they filed it off

Incorrect information from your dealer.
Makes me wonder what was really wrong...
1) PRV spring keeps valve closed, which is full oil pressure. Once the pressure gets to high(above PRV set point) it OPENS, not closes. The opposite of what your dealer told you.
2)An open prv will stop oil from going to all the engine parts not just the top end. Your dealer said just the top end was starved of oil. Not true if what they said about the PRV is true.
3)Ticking is valve train type noise, knocking is crank type noise.

I question why, after 8 hours of cold starts and hot engine running, that would cause the prv to open and close many times, would the prv "burr" decide to hang up in the full open position starving the engine of oil pressure. If it had a burr big enough to hang it up even with that spring pushing it closed, my bet is it would of done it the first time it stated up.
Not to mention, with a 'burr' big enough to hang dowel pin open, against spring pressure, would be difficult if not impossible to install in its bore to start with. Unless someone drove it in there with a punch or something.Or put it in with the chamfer in the wrong direction.
Don't confuse this with dowel pins that are hard to remove. Totally different thing than a prv jammed open against spring pressure. The more I think about this, the more difficult I find it is to believe.

"oil residue on the head should have been enough for it to no cause serious damage"
How does oil puddled in the head help lubricate the babbitt crank bearings, or cam bearings, or balance shaft bearings or any other oil pressure serviced area?

So, this is what I get from your posts. RZR was fine till you changed the oil, then immediately after you had a bad engine noise.

Something is going on here more than we, or maybe you(op), know.
You didn't happen to take out the bolt behind the oil filter when changing the oil, thinking it was the oil fill did you ?

answer: no i did not, all i did was remove the drain plug and then filled it through the dip stick
If it were mine, and there is not some other agenda at work here, I would just drive it and watch/listen to it and see how it does. Stay close to camp or home to start with. Maybe do a compression test, and a hot oil pressure test first.

answer: they did a hot oil pressure test, said it was good he also said the compression was good aswell.
Only 8 hours, and no warranty? Don't understand that...
answer: its out of warranty 6 months ago
jmo

·
Registered
262 Posts
If there isnt any more noise I think it will be fine. 4 minutes at an idle (about 1200RPM i think) is about 5,000 revalutions for the 4 min. Thats not that much and it most likely had oil on it from the start of the engine. Id change the oil and look for metal shavings larger than normal. The oil always has fine metal shavings in it the first year or so but look for excessive amount and larger pieces.
if it looks good ride on! Going back to your dealer and asking or telling them you want a rebuild will most likely not happen since its out of warranty and if you asked them to simply change the oil and they didnt do it,im sure they will not do what you ask about any other repairs.
besides,sounds like you may need a different dealer to work on your rzr,they dont sound like they really give a $h!t.

if your engine didnt overheat in that 4 min. period i would think your going to be fine.
as mentioned ride around the house or close to your truck and/or friends for the 1st ride in case.

·
Premium Member
41,101 Posts

Well if it's out of warranty you are pretty much stuck. Also..and I'm not trying to be mean but letting it run 4 minutes when you suspected it didn't have oil pressure means you own some (I say all) of the responsibility. I say either change the oil and if its clean maybe hope for the best, maybe you got very lucky..or tear it down..obviously if you decide to "get rid of it" full disclosure. In any case even idling for 4 minutes if it had no oil pressure it shortened the time to rebuild
X 2... It doesn't take 4 minutes run time to determine there is a problem, you should have shut it off as soon as you heard the valve train making noise...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea im gonna have to try it out, i was talking to a mechanic buddy of mine and he says to get the compression test done no ifs ands or buts and tell them to also change the oil

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
X 2... It doesn't take 4 minutes run time to determine there is a problem, you should have shut it off as soon as you heard the valve train making noise...
i know i should have but its too late for that now i just hope its gonna be alright, i was told by several good friends of mine that have worked on this stuff longer than i have to let it run till the colant gets warm to see if that would open the valve up

·
Premium Member
41,101 Posts
yea im gonna have to try it out, i was talking to a mechanic buddy of mine and he says to get the compression test done no ifs ands or buts and tell them to also change the oil
The damage has been done, how much no one knows... Only time will tell... It may last a day or another 4000 miles...

I'd change the oil and go ride it until you find out it's time for a rebuild...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts