Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm hoping you might be able to help me out here.

I have a 2012 RZR XP 4. I have 1900 miles on it, and it's been a pretty good machine!

I took it in to my dealer for some extended warranty service, because it had a handful of little issues. All have been resolved except for the fact that my machine still leans to the right when completely unloaded and on flat ground. All of the suspension pieces seem to be fine.

After reading some other threads on the forum, I suggested they check the sway bar. they came back and told me that they disconnected the sway bar and it still leans! There is no reason why the frame would be bent, and no evidence that it is.

They told me that when they jack the rear of the machine up until both tires are off the ground, and rechecked the front to see if it still leans and it doesn't.

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

·
Addicted
3,657 Posts
Do front and rear right side both lean evenly or is one corner lower than the other? (compared to the left side)

·
Addicted
3,657 Posts
Pre-load on the springs the same left to right/front to back?

G

·
Well If it isn't the swaybar and assuming the frame isnt bent..Has the shock spring pre-load been checked? Springs is the next place I'd look..the stock springs suck.

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I read about the sway bar issues, I stupidly tried to preload the right rear to level it. The only thing it did was to raise both sides of the rear evenly. (Sway bar was connected) Duh!

All the shock/ spring preloads are within factory spec.

I told the dealer that I thought they should preload the right side, now that the sway bar is disconnected to see if they can get it level. If it becomes level, that would mean a sagging spring right??? They already checked to see if the gas in the shocks were all the same, and they are.

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
Bad springs If not shock gas

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have access to another XP 4 that doesn't lean. Maybe I should take the rear shocks off of it and test them on mine!

·
Premium Member
8,864 Posts
The springs are made from cheap chinese steel. Just the weight of the machine Can make them sag I guess. If it were me, I would pony up a little cash and replace them with better springs. Youll be better off in the long run.

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The springs are made from cheap chinese steel. Just the weight of the machine Can make them sag I guess. If it were me, I would pony up a little cash and replace them with better springs. Youll be better off in the long run.
I am interested, who makes the best ones for the XP 4 ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to work with a big guy, well over 6 foot and pushing 250 but his even bigger wife made him look like an average-sized guy. One day he mentioned he had to get new shocks on his station wagon after work. When I asked him if he was getting them on the front or the rear he gave me a funny look and said, “they’re for my wife’s side.” It’s kept me laughing for 20 years now and since then I’ve always look twice at who’s riding shotgun with me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Could it have something to do with the exhaust cooking that right rear shock. After a ride I can't even touch my right rear shock it's so hot but I can hold my hand on the left rear shock reservoir and it's ambient temperature.

·
Registered
156 Posts
fuel tank is on the right. if you keep it fill that would another 50 pounds on the right side which would make it lean with crappy springs. I would look into the simple before tearing it down...

·
Registered
131 Posts
If your really want to get into it... take the springs off the shocks and compair them at static height, then put a 100lbs and see if same hieght as the others... now I know that is alot of work as compaired to just buying some new shocks but you would know for sure if the springs are different. Or one last thought, just swap side and let exhaust cook the other one then both would sag the same....

·
hey ya'll watch this....
1,304 Posts
Could it have something to do with the exhaust cooking that right rear shock. After a ride I can't even touch my right rear shock it's so hot but I can hold my hand on the left rear shock reservoir and it's ambient temperature.
This is my thought as well, ive read a bunch about the right rear shock going to crap cause of all the exhaust header heat.. I just ordered a heat shield to replace the factory one from UTVinc.. It supposed to protect the shock much better

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a very good point!
It would be interesting to see of all the people who have this leaning problem, how many lean to the right side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts