Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the RZR world, in the market for a small light bar or 2 lights for my Polaris brush guard. Why on earth are the LED lights so expensive. $300.00 for a the small light bars? I know they draw a lot less amps and are much brighter but why the hefty price tag?

I'd like some reasonable options for lights for my brush guard, anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
281 Posts
4 inch Red ring HID's. Bright as hell and only 100 bucks for the set on Amazon. Brighter than any LED for the price could ever dream of being.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Good question. White LED's are a whole new animal so to speak. There is a lot of hands on labor to build an LED array, and there is a lot to the technology. Actually, White LED's are a fairly new concept, whereas red, green blue and yellow have been around for sometime. In the "old days" they lit all three rgb at the same time in close proximity to fool the human eye to think it was white, but it didn't produce enough lumens for our needs.
I think in time, the high end light bars will be in the $200-500 range instead of $3-1500.
I put a set of 4" LED euro driving lights from Super ATV on our RZR. They are less than $150, and are amazing on a dark night! They draw less than 4 amps for the pair.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
... White LED's are a fairly new concept, whereas red, green blue and yellow have been around for sometime. In the "old days" they lit all three rgb at the same time in close proximity to fool the human eye to think it was white, ...
look up at a Walgreens message sign tomorrow and you will see RGB next to each other. In the past few years it became a 5 pattern. They vary the current to each. R+G+B= white.

Diodes in signs are not cheap either.
In the photo count them up at $3.50 each, both sides. Power supply add $70 more. One power supply will push 75 of those little fellers.
or 75 RZR dome lights.
A single dome light is $3.50. Run it off you battery.
Compare that to fluorescent lamps at $15 each.
You can see it a mile away and he paid for it in a week.
Sign is 6 months old and the diodes are obsolete already.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Thanks Mark, I was hoping you would chime in on the cost factors. The biggest advantage is the very low current draw. We really lack for amperage on a RZR. Do the math, ECU, fuel pump, gauge cluster, tail lights on all the time, radiator fan, stereo. We are at the limits to add 10 amps for a set of conventional halogen lights.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
ice cream had the 2011. We are onto the 2012 now, duh.
Little brighter.
2010 were ok too.
any of those modules by themselves will make a good cheap dome ligh or underdash kit.

upcoming job on Riverfront will be ten thousand or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The main cost of the LED light bar is in the LED's. Good quality LED's can cost up to $20.00 each. So figure a 27" light bar has 42 LED's. That's about $840.00 just in LED's if you make it with the most expensive and top of the line units. Figure another $150.00 for electronics and another $150.00 for housing. That brings your cost to roughly $1140. Retail is about $1600 for that bar. Figure that the MFG is making about 300.00 per bar, that gives the retailer $150.00 profit roughly. Now my numbers may be way off, but it does give some idea of what really goes into these. My boss is an Electronics Engineer, and he plays and dinks around with electronics all the time. He was toying with making LED headlights for his VW Bug, which is where I got the pricing for the LED's that are used for lights such as these.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
new = expensive. LED tvs were $3k two years ago that you can buy today for $500.

as far as the LED signs that businesses use. they're going to have to tone them down a little. those things will blind you at night...much like the LEDs that law enforcement are using. at night time they might have caught a kid doing 15mph over the speed limit and cause 10 old ladies to wreck because they can't see.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a friend who works at a LED research and design company. Apparently the high cost of modern LED lights are mainly due to a small piece of sapphire stone set in each lamp. These are artificially grown (also expensive to do) and cut to install in a lamp.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
photo of a salesman sample of that project.
Owners were a senior couple and needed to see what I was describing.

that post cost me about $20. 5 dome lights chewed up.
can someone start a sympathy fund?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
They cost that much cuz we're willing to pay that for them!!! LOL!!

There are a few LED color flatscreen TVs out there now...about ten grand or so...they are supposed to have the very best picture...I would hope so!!!

Pirate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts