Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Warm provantage. 4500. Bought a year ago. Used once last weekend. Broken. Pulled fine. Coiled fine. Now clutch lever is Jamed and it won’t pull back in.
Was this the first use? Asking to find out if the warp cap issue is from all the engine and turbo after cooler heat or from a heavy tow use. First use was extreme heavy pull. It worked for that, then the next time pulled it out it would not engage. Pulled it out and found the end cap warped out of place. Took it apart, put back together and it worked fine until I got on trail and had run for lots of mile. Pulled out and could feel the end cap was warped again.

Warn was quick to send a new cap kit. Trying to figure out a better fix. Since heat seems to be a problem, from the engine, etc. I think. Looking at some kind of wrap on the cap or a heat shield to keep the heat off winch. Other then that, Polaris now has a front bumper to mount a winch on that fits my 2018 Dynamix. $450 to over $500 depend on where bought.

Good to see it is not only me having this issue. Another reason to call Warn so they know there is a real issue and a need for a cap in a different material.
That almost explains it perfectly. This was the first long ride and the clutch cap is warped and the red snap in thing that you grab to turn the clutch is gone and housing is warped.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I got the Super ATV synthetic 4500. Great winch, but the remote is pretty cheap/cheesy, and the dash rocker switch failed after a day of riding in heavy rain (no windshield). I replaced it with a waterproof rocker off amazon.
Same winch here. It has pulled me out of some pretty steep (or deep) situations. The remote is cheap but it hasn't failed me yet. Also the synthetic line is great! If you happen to break it you can just tie a knot in it and keep going. I had a Warn 3500 lb that got hot and shutdown on me on a steep incline at Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs, replaced it with the SATV 4500 lb and no problems

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Warm provantage. 4500. Bought a year ago. Used once last weekend. Broken. Pulled fine. Coiled fine. Now clutch lever is Jamed and it won’t pull back in.
Was this the first use? Asking to find out if the warp cap issue is from all the engine and turbo after cooler heat or from a heavy tow use. First use was extreme heavy pull. It worked for that, then the next time pulled it out it would not engage. Pulled it out and found the end cap warped out of place. Took it apart, put back together and it worked fine until I got on trail and had run for lots of mile. Pulled out and could feel the end cap was warped again.

Warn was quick to send a new cap kit. Trying to figure out a better fix. Since heat seems to be a problem, from the engine, etc. I think. Looking at some kind of wrap on the cap or a heat shield to keep the heat off winch. Other then that, Polaris now has a front bumper to mount a winch on that fits my 2018 Dynamix. $450 to over $500 depend on where bought.

Good to see it is not only me having this issue. Another reason to call Warn so they know there is a real issue and a need for a cap in a different material.
That almost explains it perfectly. This was the first long ride and the clutch cap is warped and the red snap in thing that you grab to turn the clutch is gone and housing is warped.
Let us know what Warn says. Push them a bit as to problem and what fix they are going to make.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I’m going to carry snap ring pliers so at the least I can remove the cover and push the pins in manually. Not sure if it’s dirt causing this or the location of my winch bumper is over heating it from the radiator. Either way not an ideal situation for a safety device.

·
EE
152 Posts
I’m going to carry snap ring pliers so at the least I can remove the cover and push the pins in manually. Not sure if it’s dirt causing this or the location of my winch bumper is over heating it from the radiator. Either way not an ideal situation for a safety device.

Not sure if you ever resolved this, but I had the same issue on a ProVantage I had on my wolverine back in the day. However, it had nothing to do with heat. It's a design flaw; the metal pin guide is clocked to far and when you rotate it all the way to free spool it passes the plastic ramp edge and drops over it, getting stuck. I cut the back side of this ramp off at a 45° angle to fix it. This is after I bought a whole new end cap assembly of course, since I did not discover the problem until in was in a mudhole...and proceeded to rip the cover off with my leatherman lol. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Edit: The picture below shows the ring that catches on the square edge of the ramp from over traveling. File off this edge and it will work.

·
EE
152 Posts
One could see the wrap in the cap. No question as to heat being the culprit.

Well that sucks to hear. So they have two completely different different issues causing the same problem...Do you happen to have any pics of yours? I just wonder if they changed the internal design since my version.

·
EE
152 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I will try filing off the square edge and see if it helps.

No problem. Just start small, don't take off too much as that ramp is what lifts the pins out. I think I used a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the lip of the metal ring up a bit to help the ramping action in reverse.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts

No problem. Just start small, don't take off too much as that ramp is what lifts the pins out. I think I used a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the lip of the metal ring up a bit to help the ramping action in reverse.
I have been keeping it out of free spool as a precaution so thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look at it this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
479 Posts
We run many may winches in a rather large riding group. The best winch out there with no failures to date is the Superwinch Terra series. Steel Drum, built like a tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motoalliance. Viperelite 6000lbs.. I have a 2018 xp turbo 2 seat!!! Works great,and priced well!! So far no issues

·
EE
152 Posts

I have been keeping it out of free spool as a precaution so thanks for the tip. I’ll take a look at it this weekend hopefully.

Just curious if you were able to fix your issue?

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Truth told. I forgot to modify the clutch and went for a 7 hour ride with it and it’s fine. I did put a cover over it and just checked it now and it index’s between spool and free wheel perfectly. So, I don’t know what’s causing it. If it is heat than the cover provided enough of a shield to prevent it warping.

·
Ak Matt
12 Posts
I bought a Warn Axon 3.5S, haven’t used it yet. I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew it didn’t have a remote.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts