Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2010 RZR S back in May, haven't even used it yet, as its too hot here in SoCal. Thinking of purchasing an extended warranty after reading about problems some have had. Been talking to my dealer, they sell the Polaristar and the Western. They recommend the Western over the Polaristar and quoted me $632 for the 48 month Western with $0 deductible.

So any advice regarding these two warranties? Is one better than the other, or are they essentially the same?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Better Friend Than Enemy
2,760 Posts
I had some real hassles with Western in the past.
They are indifferent, nasty people to deal with.
Our local Kawai dealer dropped offering them because I wasn't alone.

The dealer gets a bigger mark-up and kick back from selling a Western Policy, that's usually why they sales guys tout it.

$75 more in the sellers pocket, and more headaches for you.

The Polaris extended warranty has been real good to people on this board including us.

Just sayin' my experiences.
Ya dance with who brung ya.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I bought the polaristar warranty on both my rzrs.the s has had ball joints ,a-arm bushings tie rod ends front& rear diffs,clutch,rear shock & brake line,over 4000.00 dollars in repairs and the other 2400.00 as it had to have top end replaced in less than 1 1/2 years.I bought the s warranty on e-bay for 600.00 and was well worth it.I have come to figure out that the dealer also makes a difference in how well they pay .if your dealer helps its great if not you can have problems.I personally wouldn't own a rzr without a warranty ,when mine runs out I'll buy a new rzr. hope this helps .Butch

·
Registered
279 Posts
My only concern would actually be polaris backing you up on the warranty.....I think it depends on the dealer too, I have heard stories of certain dealers jerkin people around.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Have any of you been denied on a claim with either of these warranties?
the first dealer I went to on motor issue really gave the runaround .they submitted to ext. warranty and said was denied so I called warranty co. they tell me they didn't deny just won't pay because polaris had a warranty ext for dust issues.my dealer said no warranty available wanted me to pay.I came here printed off bulletin and took it to her to prove her wrong.after over 3 months I finally got my rzr back with new cylinders,pistons,head and valve train.cost me 50.00 and oil change cost .they said polaris won't cover fluids.my new dealer is so much better to deal.another thing I bought bought rzrs used and the new dealer still takes care of me. I have yet to be denied for a claim .p.s. make sure you keep all your oil change receipts and keep a log of when they are done, change all fluids on schedule especially the diffs or they will deny the claim now matter what caused it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Polaris sent a letter listing the price for the 54 month at $1300. My dealer is quoting $695 for the 42 month. From what I've researched, I'm thinking I can get the 54 month for $600-$700. I'd like to purchase from my dealer, and I want them to make a profit, but I don't want to pay more than is necessary.

Rick

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are you planning on putting any aftermarket parts on your rzr? If so you need to think about what your putting on and what it could affect and if it will void that warranty......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm not planning to do any mods. I bought the S model hoping I wouldn't need to. Wasn't planning on an extended warranty until I started reading about all the rzr issues. I have two 2008 Yamaha Raptors (for sale by the way) and have not had one issue with either of them. I hope my Polaris experience will be as good, but thinking I need to hedge my bet with the warranty.

Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm having a problem with Polaristar as we speak 2010 RZRS about 45 hr. Broke a rod and did $5900 in damage, they denied the claim said it was dirt, I don't see any dirt. Called POPO to see if I can get some help.
Tim Adams

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your post concerns me. I'd hate to spend the money on the extended warranty only to have to pay out of pocket on something like that.

My dealer called today and said the best he could do on the 54 month polaristar warrant is $780. I like the dealer, and want to give them my business, but that price seems about $100 too high. Any recommendations for a better price?

Also, anyone else been denied on a claim by polaris? Should I be considering the cheaper Western warranty?

Rick

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I'm having a problem with Polaristar as we speak 2010 RZRS about 45 hr. Broke a rod and did $5900 in damage, they denied the claim said it was dirt, I don't see any dirt. Called POPO to see if I can get some help.
Tim Adams
I'd ask popo to explain to me how dust ingestion could possibly cause a rod failure.I've never heard of that type of failure it almost always eats the rings and cylinder walls up then loses compression and starts using oil until it loses almost all of its power and won't hardly start.and smokes real bad.they say synthetic oil won't smoke but mine smoked like 2 stroke.I've race motorcycles and quads for over 20 years and never had a rod failure.the only way I trashed a rod or crank was to not change pistons when needed and it disintegrated and bent the rod.sounds to me like your dealer is hanging you out to dry.my first dealer kept telling me no warranty because of dust.and that I didn't change air filter enough and it only had 300 miles on it.It took a while but I finally got it fixed under warranty.hope this helps Butch

·
Registered
515 Posts
I bought the Polaristar Protection PLUS in July of this year for my 2010 Walker Evans LE for $450.00 for 5 years inclusive of the standard 1 year factory warranty. I do not understand how people could get different prices "in writing" from Polaris for the same warranty. I thought it was a steal for $450.00. I can understand different, competitive prices on models after the first 6 months or a year is up, but on a new RZR, they should all be $450.00. I was going to purchase one from my local dealer (for a higher price) and he honestly told me to wait about 6 months and Polaris would send me an offer with a lower price. And he was right!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just called Polaris to follow up on my 5 yr warranty that I got for $450. They said mine is covered until March 31, 2015, however they are backlogged in mailing out the policy. I asked about others wanting this and they said that if the machine is less than 6 months old they can the 5 year warranty for $450 by calling 800-330-9407. If the machine is more than 6 months old this pricing plan is not available.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.