Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP aka: The Bomb
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m beginning planning now for a once in a lifetime riding trip out West. Not sure if it will happen this year, or next year. I don’t plan on going just one place. But rather spending a 10-14 days visiting areas in multiple states. Probably late December whenever it happens.

I am from Ohio, so it’s gonna be quite the road trip.

I prefer marked trail systems vs wide open desert style riding. We like scenery as well.

So, my question is, what is your personal opinion on the “must see” destinations? Glamis and Moab are on my list, but I am aware that their size means I am only gonna hit a small part of them. So which parts? Also thinking Colorado, Utah, Arizona, maybe Montana. But obviously I don’t know where I should go when I get there. Any iconic areas to visit? And where to stay while we are there? Will need cabins or camping with facilities.

I’m open to any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You might do some Dec wheeling in Western CO like Grand Junction area but the mountains will be snowed shut.

Moab is a must do if you have never been. There is a reason it's the 4X4 Mecca that it is. the scenery and wheeling is incredible.

you might look into running the AZ Peace Trail as well. I plan to make that trip in Mar of '23 with a small group so we can cover the ground. I want to run the entire loop in 6 days/ 5 nights.

your December time frame is going to limit you to southwest states I would think.

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
704 Posts
Since you like marked trails, the Paiute Trail in Utah is perfect for you, and an amazing place to boot.

I did a trip write up about our experience:

First Timer on the Paiute Trail

In our area, the Black Rock Desert has absolutely stunning vistas and riding:
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

However there's zero marked trails, it's all GPS, so not what you'd want probably.

All the best, James

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
704 Posts
Oops, didn't see the December part.

Cancel all of my post above, snow and ice and mud. Same for our local area.

All the best, James

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops, didn't see the December part.

Cancel all of my post above, snow and ice and mud. Same for our local area.

All the best, James
I didn’t think that one through. May have to rearrange the timing a lotta bit on that to avoid the snow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glamis is a must see if you have never done it. You had mentioned not being able to see it all, but in all reality, you will be able to see the bulk of Glamis, and there are only subtle differences north to south.

Anza Borrego desert, in CA, is a pretty cool spot. The mountains of Northern Arizona are awesome, although likely too cold in December.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I’m beginning planning now for a once in a lifetime riding trip out West. Not sure if it will happen this year, or next year. I don’t plan on going just one place. But rather spending a 10-14 days visiting areas in multiple states. Probably late December whenever it happens.

I am from Ohio, so it’s gonna be quite the road trip.

I prefer marked trail systems vs wide open desert style riding. We like scenery as well.

So, my question is, what is your personal opinion on the “must see” destinations? Glamis and Moab are on my list, but I am aware that their size means I am only gonna hit a small part of them. So which parts? Also thinking Colorado, Utah, Arizona, maybe Montana. But obviously I don’t know where I should go when I get there. Any iconic areas to visit? And where to stay while we are there? Will need cabins or camping with facilities.

I’m open to any and all suggestions.
Plan your trip well, travel time between many of those areas will eat up your ride time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it were me I’d spend my time in Utah. In a relatively short distance, ensuring more riding time and less wasted downtime, you can experience technical and/or beautiful rock climbing trails(Moab and sand hollow), sand dunes in coral pink, well marked scenic trails in Duck Creek, amongst tons of other points of interest like slot canyons and world class hiking etc. Lots of variety for someone coming west to ride.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Since you like marked trails, the Paiute Trail in Utah is perfect for you, and an amazing place to boot.

I did a trip write up about our experience:

First Timer on the Paiute Trail

In our area, the Black Rock Desert has absolutely stunning vistas and riding:
View attachment 680785

However there's zero marked trails, it's all GPS, so not what you'd want probably.

All the best, James
That was an amazing write-up, James! Wow! What a trip that was. I envy you guys.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell me about coos bay. Right there on the ocean looks interesting.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Tell me about coos bay. Right there on the ocean looks interesting.
I grew up there. Awesome place. My advice, if you want to avoid the riding crowds, is to head south, down the bay side of the North Spit toward the jetty. There are still wheelers out that way but fewer in number compared to going north. Once you get down there you can cross over to the ocean side and rip for miles. Of course there are plenty of dunes in between to have fun on too. But if you go in December, beware the crappy weather. If you're a fair weather rider, you won't like Coos Bay in December.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We ride east year round. Fair weather we are not.

Last year it was 18 degrees and snowing on our Christmas ride.

Not a fan of riding in heavy rain though.

Looking like we will put this one off until Spring, at least. But I’m gonna gather as much info as I can in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Take a look at Ruby's Inn in Bryce Canyon UT.
They have camp ground, basic cabins, and motel.
Direct access to many well marked trails.

Reactions: K&M

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take a look at Ruby's Inn in Bryce Canyon UT.
They have camp ground, basic cabins, and motel.
Direct access to many well marked trails.
This is a perfect answer. Keep it coming guys!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts