Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering where everyone is mounting their 2nd battery in the rzr4? just bought an Optima red top and was just looking for ideas. Pictures would also be a plus if you have any..thanks

G

·
I haven't done one yet..but I am thinking about fabbing a bracket and putting it near the ECU...tons of space and it is right there at the starter solenoid. That way I save the storage space under the passengerseat. A vendor could probably easily come with a 2nd battery kit for that location and have it sell well. hint hint lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Highoctane, I was noticing that same exact space. This looks like the best spot to put one. Like you said, all the connections are already there.

G

·
Highoctane, I was noticing that same exact space. This looks like the best spot to put one. Like you said, all the connections are already there.
Yep..when I add one that is where it is going. I have a bunch of projects I WANT to do...but my quest for more power as my next mod is keeping the other projects on the back burner lol. Saving my pennies. Not the best approach probably,but I like some powa and the 4 needs it lol.

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
here is a pic of my setup with dual PC925's.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd be curious to see where/how the new factory second battery kit mounts. I prefer Optima's, especially for the price of their kit. But I'm curious if they're doing anything special.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't prefer the Optima over the Odyssey. I meant I preferred the Optima over the stock battery that Polaris offers in their kit. The Odyssey looks like a nice battery. I don't have any experience with them, they were just more expensive than the Optima when I bought mine. They are more compact however.

G

·
I don't prefer the Optima over the Odyssey. I meant I preferred the Optima over the stock battery that Polaris offers in their kit. The Odyssey looks like a nice battery. I don't have any experience with them, they were just more expensive than the Optima when I bought mine. They are more compact however.
Ahh..got ya..I ASSumed since the post above yours was showing Odysseys..
BTW I have ran the PC680(about half the size of the PC925 above) in a drag car..and it performed very well...I can't imagine EVER having a power issue with 2 925's in a RZR!! Hey loboboy do you have a back up electic drive motor you need to power? LOL

·
929 Posts
BTW I have ran the PC680(about half the size of the PC925 above) in a drag car..and it performed very well...I can't imagine EVER having a power issue with 2 925's in a RZR!! Hey loboboy do you have a back up electic drive motor you need to power? LOL
Yes I do it provides an extra power boost when needed. :):) I run 2 led bars 1set of hid's along with the rugged radio system and I want to make sure I have enough power.

G

·
Yes I do it provides an extra power boost when needed. :):) I run 2 led bars 1set of hid's along with the rugged radio system and I want to make sure I have enough power.
I'd say battery wise you have plenty..I just wonder how well the stock charging system keeps them charged? The electrical system is only as good as it's weakest link right? In other words 2 batteries are no better than one if the stator can't keep up with the load UNLESS you put a charger on them between rides right?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I agree with Highoctane..I think what needs to be done it is as follows:

1. Read battery (stock) with engine off with volt meter..should be around 12.5. 12.8 volts

2. Check same battery (stock battery) with engine running should be around 13.8 volts.

3. Hook up second battery to stock battery in series. Then check at idle of charge of each battery and see what your volts are.. Hopefully both batteries are new and have a full charge before hook up. This will give you the current stator charge at idle. Run at 2400-3000 rpm and read metor again.

4. Turn on lights, radio or any other equipment and then read the battery again with your volt metor. Hopefully both batteries will read around 13.5-13.8 volts and you should be ok..

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I mounted my Optima under the drivers side rear passenger seat..plenty of room plus you are not that far from any of the battery cables in the event you are adding extra wiring for aftermarket equipment.

·
929 Posts
I'd say battery wise you have plenty..I just wonder how well the stock charging system keeps them charged? The electrical system is only as good as it's weakest link right? In other words 2 batteries are no better than one if the stator can't keep up with the load UNLESS you put a charger on them between rides right?
What I have expereienced is I never put them on a charger and never have the infamous battery light on the display. I am no electrical guru by any means but the stock stator provides 500W at 3000 RPM which by my calculations provides 41 amps approx at 3000rpm. If this is the case then the RZR itself with the lights on and the fan running (guessing here) uses 12amps then the fuel pump another 6 and the ECU no more than maybe 2-3 amps. So that is approx half of the capacity of the stator. So now i go and add approx another 20 amps with my accesories and now we have exceeded the capacity rating of the stock stator. This is why I installed the extra capacity to run everything while below the 3000RPM. I have run it this way ever since I bought the RZR 4 and have no trouble whatsoever.

I am however going to install the UTVInc alternator kit therefore alleviating any questions to the lack of power that may exist.

Oh and i forgot this little tid bit, my last trip I was in the dunes for a week and I have a manual disconnect that shuts off any charging power going to the extra battery and I ran at night time all week long before I realized that the disconnect was shut off so no charging power was going to the spare battery. It wasnt until the last night ride on the 5th day we were there that the HID lights started to flicker and shut off. The odyssey batteries are the best on the market hands down for their size and power. Do the research on them and you will spend the extra money to have the odyssey.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
3. Hook up second battery to stock battery in series. Then check at idle of charge of each battery and see what your volts are.. Hopefully both batteries are new and have a full charge before hook up. This will give you the current stator charge at idle. Run at 2400-3000 rpm and read metor again. ....
I'm not sure you want to hook the batteries up in series. You'll double your voltage that way which can cause some harm.

You do mean parallel, right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.