Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wonderful wife got me an early birthday present today. Springfield XDM 9. Usually carry something with us 99% of the time. Was starting to look at options to lock one up in the rzr. My seats are so wide I don’t know that a center console/armrest safe will fit. Do they make something MOLLE that’s waterproof that will go on a bombshell door bag mounting system thingy? Or are the armrest’s better fitting than it looks like in pics online with aftermarket seats?
th

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
When you say lock it up; do you mean safe storage if you are stopped at, say a restaurant, that has a no firearms allowed sticker on the door?

Or locked up to carry on the trail?

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR Turbo S 4 Velocity Orange Madness
70 Posts
My wonderful wife got me an early birthday present today. Springfield XDM 9. Usually carry something with us 99% of the time. Was starting to look at options to lock one up in the rzr. My seats are so wide I don’t know that a center console/armrest safe will fit. Do they make something MOLLE that’s waterproof that will go on a bombshell door bag mounting system thingy? Or are the armrest’s better fitting than it looks like in pics online with aftermarket seats? View attachment 679960 th

Where I always carry it, on me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say lock it up; do you mean safe storage if you are stopped at, say a restaurant, that has a no firearms allowed sticker on the door?

Or locked up to carry on the trail?
Probably I should say locked up while stopped on the trail and riding. I have a little pack I carry in Now in the passenger seat. Easy to get to. Bag only big enough for a small frame pistol now. Was exploring my options...guessing something more secure while riding than in the bag in case of a rollover.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Probably I should say locked up while stopped on the trail and riding. I have a little pack I carry in Now in the passenger seat. Easy to get to. Bag only big enough for a small frame pistol now. Was exploring my options...guessing something more secure while riding than in the bag in case of a rollover.
Does your bag not zip? I don’t see where a rollover would make a difference if it’s zipped up.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
My wonderful wife got me an early birthday present today. Springfield XDM 9. Usually carry something with us 99% of the time. Was starting to look at options to lock one up in the rzr. My seats are so wide I don’t know that a center console/armrest safe will fit. Do they make something MOLLE that’s waterproof that will go on a bombshell door bag mounting system thingy? Or are the armrest’s better fitting than it looks like in pics online with aftermarket seats? View attachment 679960 th
You can make the center console safe work with wide seats.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Everyone has a different situation and expectation based on why you are armed to start with. No harm or foul with that mentality.

I may be a bit off with this, but this is my assessment for my situation. YMMV

Conservation of motion. 4 steps involved: Door bag zipper, purchase of the weapon, thumb safety off, and pressing of the trigger. Thank the Lord, I have only had to go through the first 3 steps and not the 4th.

Redundant statement. If there is a possible threat, with a high level of adrenaline pumping, can you manipulate a key/lock in time to address said threat? Bears, zombies or whatever, think about the time it takes to react, especially if there is a closing distance between you. Google the "21 foot rule".

Another decision is retention outside of your rig. Does it need to go with you if stopped? Can you run back to your rig and unlock it if needed within a certain time?

Again, my own personal philosophy. One in the RZR, another on my person. Strapped in the harness, no way I can grab my on person hardware. Outside, my old rear end does not hustle back to the RZR like it used to.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I know a few guy's that don't have a round chambered, because of 'safety'. I appreciate that viewpoint from their personal comfort zone. Not my first choice. Internally, sadly I laugh. If you are that worried about your inadequacies, you should probably carry an unloaded magazine or empty cylinder if a revolver. Load them as needed.

Greatest advice: Grab a few training courses, become proficient and confident with what you have. Shooting is a perishable skill, stay on top of it.

I am not a "High speed-Low drag" Tacti-cool Tommy by any means. Please take my comments as such.

My protocol:
1) Do not put yourself into a bad situation.
2) Escape by all means. Go, go throttle.
3) Distance is your friend.
4) If it goes completely sideways, commit to the fight with extreme prejudice.

·
Premium Member
2021 RZR XP 1000
47 Posts
I recently purchased the locking door thing that Hardline ATV was advertising. It replaces the netting on the passenger side dash of my rzr. Not sure what you have. I locked mine up in there last night. I put my .45 Shield in there still in the holster and had plenty of room. I typically carry mine in the door bag or center console area when not away from the rzr.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone has a different situation and expectation based on why you are armed to start with. No harm or foul with that mentality.

I may be a bit off with this, but this is my assessment for my situation. YMMV

Conservation of motion. 4 steps involved: Door bag zipper, purchase of the weapon, thumb safety off, and pressing of the trigger. Thank the Lord, I have only had to go through the first 3 steps and not the 4th.

Redundant statement. If there is a possible threat, with a high level of adrenaline pumping, can you manipulate a key/lock in time to address said threat? Bears, zombies or whatever, think about the time it takes to react, especially if there is a closing distance between you. Google the "21 foot rule".

Another decision is retention outside of your rig. Does it need to go with you if stopped? Can you run back to your rig and unlock it if needed within a certain time?

Again, my own personal philosophy. One in the RZR, another on my person. Strapped in the harness, no way I can grab my on person hardware. Outside, my old rear end does not hustle back to the RZR like it used to.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I know a few guy's that don't have a round chambered, because of 'safety'. I appreciate that viewpoint from their personal comfort zone. Not my first choice. Internally, sadly I laugh. If you are that worried about your inadequacies, you should probably carry an unloaded magazine or empty cylinder if a revolver. Load them as needed.

Greatest advice: Grab a few training courses, become proficient and confident with what you have. Shooting is a perishable skill, stay on top of it.

I am not a "High speed-Low drag" Tacti-cool Tommy by any means. Please take my comments as such.

My protocol:
1) Do not put yourself into a bad situation.
2) Escape by all means. Go, go throttle.
3) Distance is your friend.
4) If it goes completely sideways, commit to the fight with extreme prejudice.
Usually pretty calm. Have only ever had to point one Twice in my life. Once in downtown Indy and once at my home. But you’re right. Grabbing a key and opening a compartment would be very time consuming in a bad spot. I’m very comfortable carrying with one chambered. Probably is the main reason I’m looking for options. If I have it in my bag bouncing around I don’t have one chambered just in case. You’ve given some great info and brain food. Thank you.
With long rifle or my ar me and the wife are both very good shots. Ok with pistols. Would really like to get REAL good with a pistol. We have talked about getting some training to get better with longer shots and quicker hitting multiple targets. Just over all better with hitting targets quicker and more accurately.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can change out the quarter turn latch on the glove box to a keyed quarter turn latch to secure your property while away from the machine. It’s not Fort Knox, but will slow down a thief. Couldn’t find size or supplier that I used. You would have to make some measurements to spec out a keyed latch.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Have only ever had to point one Twice in my life. Once in downtown Indy and once at my home.
Sorry, I can't help. I put my mine in the door bag. But, I'd love the hear the stories behind your previous two incidents...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Our little ride group was accosted by an armed idiot on the trail one time. Total of four machines. The lead guy had a weapon that he could not get at, second guy was not armed, 3rd guy (retired police officer) was armed, but couldn’t get at his weapon without unbuckling his seat belt.
I carry something that works. A custom made cross draw that I can access while wearing the click 6 harness, with a Ruger Redhawk .44 Remington Magnum. I was tailgunning and had the dipchit covered if he would have pulled a trigger. If we go in some place, I will slip a shirt over it and all has always been cool.
Glasses Jeans Shoulder Sunglasses Vision care
Clothing Jeans Joint Trousers Picture frame

I just wish I was as proficient and confident with my weapon as I was 35-40 years ago. Then I could nail a running coyote at 100 yards about 90% of the time. Not so much any more.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Usually pretty calm. Have only ever had to point one Twice in my life. Once in downtown Indy and once at my home. But you’re right. Grabbing a key and opening a compartment would be very time consuming in a bad spot. I’m very comfortable carrying with one chambered. Probably is the main reason I’m looking for options. If I have it in my bag bouncing around I don’t have one chambered just in case. You’ve given some great info and brain food. Thank you.
With long rifle or my ar me and the wife are both very good shots. Ok with pistols. Would really like to get REAL good with a pistol. We have talked about getting some training to get better with longer shots and quicker hitting multiple targets. Just over all better with hitting targets quicker and more accurately.
I know ammo prices are insane.

You could spend $1k to 2k on ammo and try to figure it out for yourself. That leads to some pretty bad habits or training scars.

Seriously, from a budget standpoint it seems like a sunk cost for training. In the end, you will be money ahead.

Outlay of $ for a class, depending on the instruction program, 500 round count between you both. Money well spent compared to just blasting at a target.

Research every trainer or company before deciding on one, hard. I have seen a few of the fly by night companies. "Joe-Bob's Xtreme gun shewting skillz. We is Navy Seals sniperz" type places. Amazed no one was perforated.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Our little ride group was accosted by an armed idiot on the trail one time. Total of four machines. The lead guy had a weapon that he could not get at, second guy was not armed, 3rd guy (retired police officer) was armed, but couldn’t get at his weapon without unbuckling his seat belt.
I carry something that works. A custom made cross draw that I can access while wearing the click 6 harness, with a Ruger Redhawk .44 Remington Magnum. I was tailgunning and had the dipchit covered if he would have pulled a trigger. If we go in some place, I will slip a shirt over it and all has always been cool. View attachment 679985 View attachment 679984

I just wish I was as proficient and confident with my weapon as I was 35-40 years ago. Then I could nail a running coyote at 100 yards about 90% of the time. Not so much any more.
I love it!!!!

Our Saint, John Moses Browning rides with us along with Mr. Gaston. Mr. Stoner likes night rides.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I carry something that works. A custom made cross draw that I can access while wearing the click 6 harness, with a Ruger Redhawk .44 Remington Magnum. I was tailgunning and had the dipchit covered if he would have pulled a trigger. If we go in some place, I will slip a shirt over it and all has always been cool. View attachment 679985 View attachment 679984

That’s an awesome shot nailing a coyote running. Pure awesomeness!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know ammo prices are insane.

You could spend $1k to 2k on ammo and try to figure it out for yourself. That leads to some pretty bad habits or training scars.

Seriously, from a budget standpoint it seems like a sunk cost for training. In the end, you will be money ahead.

Outlay of $ for a class, depending on the instruction program, 500 round count between you both. Money well spent compared to just blasting at a target.

Research every trainer or company before deciding on one, hard. I have seen a few of the fly by night companies. "Joe-Bob's Xtreme gun shewting skillz. We is Navy Seals sniperz" type places. Amazed no one was perforated.
We actually, now that we think of it, have an acquaintance that’s ex special forces and runs the swat team for the county. May have to see if he’s be willing to help Give us some good training.
Ammos crazy. We’ve got a decent little pile laying around. Not as much 223 as we had before...practicing with my “friends” ar pistol with an echo trigger in it has ate up some rounds quick. The one thing we need for her ar pistol is .300 blackout. Don’t have much of it. We absolutely cannot find that anywhere around here. Crazy times we are in my friends...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts