Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I've watched the worthless (to many anyway) drag racing vids on youtube with rzrs.

I always thought it wouldn't be good to floor it from a dead stop in high. But that's obviously what they're doing. That's ok to do?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hello all. I recently purchased a 16 xp turbo. I havent ridden it but once in the cornfield out back. I got no owners manual but will buy one. So its widely different opinions among everyone as to when to ride in low. On this forum it seems 30 or under is average opinion. I have a lot to learn about cvt. Great info on here tho. Thank you all.
Congratulations on your new purchase. You will have a lot of fun if you stay ahead on maintenance!
I agree not to overthink it. It’s just a gear. Feel free to rev the heck out of it - you’ll know when to shift just like any other transmission. I trail ride only so lots of stopping or slow speed, so I keep it in low.

I've watched the worthless (to many anyway) drag racing vids on youtube with rzrs.

I always thought it wouldn't be good to floor it from a dead stop in high. But that's obviously what they're doing. That's ok to do?
From my limited firsthand experience - yes. I will do pulls on the blacktop in my neighborhood. 4wd. I would advise against it if your belt is slipping though or if your belt is already hot I probably wouldn’t do it.
It’s not like it’s great to do but I’ve yet to smoke one anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was told you should always start off in low---punch it so the belt fully engages at about 4100 rpm, then back off and put it in hi if you want. Seems to be many varied opinions so I guess just do whatever "feels " right for your situation.
WHAT!!! The owners manual clearly states to only shift when fully stopped. Have you actually tried this? But I guess if you want to try and shift on the fly, you'll only do it so many times before you need a transmission.

....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what Gimpy said^^^^^^^^^^^^:beatdeadhorse:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I was told you should always start off in low---punch it so the belt fully engages at about 4100 rpm, then back off and put it in hi if you want. Seems to be many varied opinions so I guess just do whatever "feels " right for your situation.
Whoever told you that was either joking, stupid, or really doesn’t like you...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hello,

I purchased my first rzr a few days ago and it is the turbo. I am curious as to what is the max speed for low and when should I put it in high? My salesman said keep it in high if I plan to run 30+ constantly. He said if I am running 20 or under mainly and sometimes get it up to 30 but back down to 20 or less quickly then it can stay in low. Is this true?

Thank you,

You are going to love your new turbo and it want take long to figure out the gear selection. I picked one up last year to replace my 800S and love it . Back in Michigan where I ride in the summer because of the terrain I run high . I have been in Arizona since the end of November and completely different riding , lots of rough rocky terrain up and down mountains here I run mostly low . I have done some pretty rough and technical climbing and every time the turbo puts a big smile on my face . When I first bought the turbo I was worried about being geared too high but after a month of riding almost every day , I am a happy camper I use to watch the belt temp at first all the time but now just a glance at it once in a while . I think the terrain and common sense will be your biggest indicator for what gear to use . Have fun and enjoy your new machine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride mainly trails, so I run Low range probably 90% of the time. I may romp up to 40mph now and then. My non-turbo will do 40 in Low.

It mainly depends on load. Load meaning "how challenging or how hard is the terrain". If the terrain is tame and I'm just cruising, I may be in High range at 25mph. No "load" in the cruising situation. :angel

If I was doing 25mph in a muddy, up hill, AWD situation that was requiring a lot more throttle to maintain 25mph, then I would definitely be in Low range. Because the "load" on the machine is more demanding in this situation.

The Low and High range is really about CVT belt life, if you run In High range in High Load situations you can "burn" or slip your CVT belt. This is highly undesirable. :surprise :crying

It is better to be in Low range and pull a few extra engine RPM's than to be in High range and burn your belt.

Remember, you must be stopped to shift between Low and High range. :smile

Hope this helps. Go play around and you'll get the feel for the High/Low selection. :wink

I created an account to this forum so so I could say thank you for this description .. I've burnt a clutch up riding in high, not knowing. Wish I would have read this answer before I bought the side by side. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all. I recently purchased a 16 xp turbo. I havent ridden it but once in the cornfield out back. I got no owners manual but will buy one. So its widely different opinions among everyone as to when to ride in low. On this forum it seems 30 or under is average opinion. I have a lot to learn about cvt. Great info on here tho. Thank you all.
You should be able to download your owners manual for free from here: Owner's Manuals | Polaris RZR

·
Registered
69 Posts
You're doing a great! (sarcasm) The owners manual is merely a suggestion. (more sarcasm) Keep doing whatever "feels" right for your situation. (not sarcasm) LOL

·
Registered
950 Posts
I run high in the dune and the trails there, but use low when cruising around camp or the trail to the entrance... also low in most technical stuff. but if i'm over 25/30 mph i'll use high usually

21 - 35 of 35 Posts