Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased my first rzr a few days ago and it is the turbo. I am curious as to what is the max speed for low and when should I put it in high? My salesman said keep it in high if I plan to run 30+ constantly. He said if I am running 20 or under mainly and sometimes get it up to 30 but back down to 20 or less quickly then it can stay in low. Is this true?

Thank you,

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
If you are trying to go slow and hear the belt talking, go to low. Experience is the best teacher. Low is to save the belt and give much better slow speed throttle control. As for how fast in low, watch the tach. If the engine is revving up, go to high. Remember to stop to change range. A little experience and it will become second nature. Low is also really great for hard rocky climbs to not spin out. Low can get you out of touchy situations. If in doubt, try low.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I ride mainly trails, so I run Low range probably 90% of the time. I may romp up to 40mph now and then. My non-turbo will do 40 in Low.

It mainly depends on load. Load meaning "how challenging or how hard is the terrain". If the terrain is tame and I'm just cruising, I may be in High range at 25mph. No "load" in the cruising situation. :angel

If I was doing 25mph in a muddy, up hill, AWD situation that was requiring a lot more throttle to maintain 25mph, then I would definitely be in Low range. Because the "load" on the machine is more demanding in this situation.

The Low and High range is really about CVT belt life, if you run In High range in High Load situations you can "burn" or slip your CVT belt. This is highly undesirable. :surprise :crying

It is better to be in Low range and pull a few extra engine RPM's than to be in High range and burn your belt.

Remember, you must be stopped to shift between Low and High range. :smile

Hope this helps. Go play around and you'll get the feel for the High/Low selection. :wink

·
Registered
804 Posts
If I was doing 25mph in a muddy, up hill, AWD situation that was requiring a lot more throttle to maintain 25mph, then I would definitely be in Low range. Because the "load" on the machine is more demanding in this situation.

The Low and High range is really about CVT belt life, if you run In High range in High Load situations you can "burn" or slip your CVT belt. This is highly undesirable. :surprise :crying

It is better to be in Low range and pull a few extra engine RPM's than to be in High range and burn your belt.

Remember, you must be stopped to shift between Low and High range. :smile

Hope this helps. Go play around and you'll get the feel for the High/Low selection. :wink
Muddy hill to me says wheel spin, which means you want wheel speed to make it up the hill... you want HIGH gear.

I would also rather replace a $90 belt than replace a $3500 reman engine.

Stock tune the XPT seems throttle limited in LOW gear compared to HIGH gear, especially compared to my old S1K. I am using HIGH gear a ton, compared to LOW gear. I am guessing after a custom tune I'll likely use LOW gear far more. Again, just like when I tuned my S1K, I started using LOW gear way more.

My thoughts:

Snow/MUD = HIGH
Low speed crawling, pulling, hill climbing = LOW
Constant 15mph or under = LOW
General all Around = HIGH

Josh

·
Registered
165 Posts
I doubt you are climbing a steep muddy hill with more than 40mph wheel speed. You would be flying and if a wheel caught it would either toss you or break stuff. Also depends on the MUD. Low is better most of the time. Running these things at 40 in low doesn’t take that many more RPM than going 40 in high with high load. And at that point low is easier on clutch’s, crank, and everything else on the bottom end.

Wheel speed is also relative. If your going 15 mph and need a little wheel speed to make and obstical 40 mph is a ton. If your going 35 and need a little wheel spin 40 isn’t going to cut it.

Basically run low unless cruising around town or if you wanna go faster than low goes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I trail ride mostly and the place I ride has a very diverse terrain. It also has some open areas where I get up to 40mph, all in LOW. I've tried H for shits and giggles, and all I got was a lot of wheel spin, and it was way harder to get speed. I've timed my "route" and I was considerably slower when in H. And I have no pshhh!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was told you should always start off in low---punch it so the belt fully engages at about 4100 rpm, then back off and put it in hi if you want. Seems to be many varied opinions so I guess just do whatever "feels " right for your situation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was told you should always start off in low---punch it so the belt fully engages at about 4100 rpm, then back off and put it in hi if you want. Seems to be many varied opinions so I guess just do whatever "feels " right for your situation.
WHAT!!! The owners manual clearly states to only shift when fully stopped. Have you actually tried this? But I guess if you want to try and shift on the fly, you'll only do it so many times before you need a transmission.

·
Yes, I know where we are?
458 Posts
In theory that might work okay, but in reality it is not a good idea. Lol.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am not sure but I dont think that is "standard" practice.:surprise

·
Premium Member
649 Posts

No disrespect, but this almost seemed like trolling. If it's not, then I'd say you have been grossly misinformed. Best advice would be to NEVER do this. Seriously.

Reactions: RZRdavid

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello all. I recently purchased a 16 xp turbo. I havent ridden it but once in the cornfield out back. I got no owners manual but will buy one. So its widely different opinions among everyone as to when to ride in low. On this forum it seems 30 or under is average opinion. I have a lot to learn about cvt. Great info on here tho. Thank you all.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hello all. I recently purchased a 16 xp turbo. I havent ridden it but once in the cornfield out back. I got no owners manual but will buy one. So its widely different opinions among everyone as to when to ride in low. On this forum it seems 30 or under is average opinion. I have a lot to learn about cvt. Great info on here tho. Thank you all.
Don’t overthink it and just enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts