Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was short on project stuff this weekend so I decided to build me some wheels for my Welder and Plasma Torch. I was tired of either having to do all my welding at the bench, or carrying the equipment around the garage. I could not find a good cart that I liked that would hold both pieces and hold them up nice and high so they are convenient to use and I don't have to bend over to make adjustments. I got the basic fab done, and am going to sit on it till next weekend and make sure I don't want to change or add anything before I take everything off and paint it. I thought I would share it with you guys and see what kind of other little projects you have going on in between working on your RZR's! LOL

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. I have a perfect sized slot in between a work bench and cabinet that is slides into and is completely out of the way until "go time". I was building a detachable winch mount and re-in forced receiver a couple of weeks ago for my F350 and that was the straw that broke the camels back! I needed my stuff to be more mobile.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I added a handle to make it easier to roll around and painted it this last weekend. I was real happy with the way it turned out for my needs. I will post an updated picture when I get home tonight of the finished product. It took one 10 foot stick of 2x2x1/8 square tubing and one 10 foot stick of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle, 4 casters with wheel locks from Harbor Freight, Some spare 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing and expanded metal I had laying around for the tray, and I used 4 old axle u-bolts cut down for the hangers. Its very sturdy, and rolls around nicely, and having the equipment at a nice height so I am not always bending down is really nice.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
I have something similiar, except the bottom rack I made it a basket to hold all my welding clamps, vice clamps etc. You did a smoking job on that one! Looks great!!

The bottom rack that holds all the clamps etc added some needed weight to keep mine more steady.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I appreciate the comments. I like the basket idea! My buddy is a sheet metal guy, and he is making me a sheet metal tool box that fits right in the bottom rack that will hold all my misc stuff like clamps, wire cleaners, hammer, wire brush, etc

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few pics of the final painted version..........

·
1,947 Posts
You did a A+ job on that Cart!! Looks great!

Do you use the Paste allot that I see in the photo? Assuming that is Splater Paste? Does it help allot, I have not ever used it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.

I do use the dip every time I weld. It really helps keep the tip clean and keep splatter from building up on the tip and inside the nozzle. Its called RADNOR Nozzle Gel, for preventing the build up of weld splatter. Just a quick dip of the tip before you start welding, and then every so often really helps keep the build up from occurring and keeps the wire and gas flowing freely. You can also use it on jigs, fixtures and holding devices.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like the basket idea. That's what I was thinking. Or maybe a tray. I also like the handle you attached for pulling it around. Good call on the u bolts. I have a few extra laying. Once I finish the cage chop on the rzr, I'm building your rack.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
1,947 Posts
Thanks guys.

I do use the dip every time I weld. It really helps keep the tip clean and keep splatter from building up on the tip and inside the nozzle. Its called RADNOR Nozzle Gel, for preventing the build up of weld splatter. Just a quick dip of the tip before you start welding, and then every so often really helps keep the build up from occurring and keeps the wire and gas flowing freely. You can also use it on jigs, fixtures and holding devices.
I need to hit the local Welding Supply today and will pickup a tub of it. If it does what you say, then it will be worth it. The only time I have problems with buildup on the tips of mine is when I am really doing some close up welding, in tight corners and such. So if it will help with this, then I will start using it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope my wife doesn't see the picture of your garage, how do you find anthing?(LOL)Art.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awesome job on the cart! I really like that. I have a large old
wire feed that I mounted my plasma cutter on top of. I ran the
power lead for the plasma cutter into the welder and hooked it
to the connection to the incoming power for the welder. Now when
you plug the welder in, they are both plugged in. If it's just you
working you can't use both of them at the same time anyway. I've
used it with the plasma cutter and welder both on at the same time
but I was either cutting or welding but not both at the same time. In
other words both on but only one of them has a load on it. My brother
is an electrician and he's the one that suggested that. It's pretty handy
like that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that is a really cool idea how to run the power. I gotta look into that!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did this a few weeks ago. I used an old engine stand to start with. Thanks for the idea. As you can see I had the Ipad in the shop with your picture up to follow. This is a nice build. Clean, and useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome job! That's Cool!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts