Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually balance offroad wheels for numerous reasons. On the first trip out on these System 3 XCR350s I noticed quite a bit of shake above 30mph. So with an upcoming Moab trip and a fair amount of street miles anticipated I thought it was a good idea. Holy wheel weights batman!!!! For you who normally balance offroad wheels what is the trick to keeping them in place in the rocks? Gorilla tape maybe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thinking outside the box here, but what about running a small bead of clear silicone along the edges to help protect them?

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,123 Posts
This set I have now is the first set I’ve balanced, so far just the weight adhesive is holding well, think I’m around 250 miles and none have fallen off yet. That stuff is pretty good adhesive as long as you clean & prep the wheel. I think you have enough clearance on your wheels you shouldn’t have to worry about anything getting stuck in there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
"does beads"?

How I "normally" balance off road ATV/UTV/MC tires/wheels. Keeps weights from coming off by not using traditional weights.

With over 1/4 pound of balance weight on that wheel, I would think for the price of those tires they would balance better than that. Especially for DOT rated tires. Then again, could be the wheel.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"does beads"?

How I "normally" balance off road ATV/UTV/MC tires/wheels. Keeps weights from coming off by not using traditional weights.

With over 1/4 pound of balance weight on that wheel, I would think for the price of those tires they would balance better than that. Especially for DOT rated tires. Then again, could be the wheel.
I understand all about tire beads but they have nothing to do with keeping lead weights attached :unsure:

Those are 36s and not DOT rated. Has nothing to do with price or teh rims, most big offroad tires are way out of balance.

·
Registered
567 Posts
many years ago i had toured the pits in the Long Beach Grand Prix race. the formula wheels and tires took VERY little weight to balance them BUT what all teams used to secure the weights was a high adhesive aluminum tape. maybe 1.5in to 2in wide.
hth

·
The Lone Rzr
2,218 Posts
I balance all my tires
Had a serious shake problem on my 900 with some Ripsaws
I used A LOT of weights
Never had a problem with them falling off

·
Registered
34 Posts
This has nothing to do with keeping your weights on. But for those who thought that's a s*** ton weight, this is what I learned...

That does look like a lot of weight. I've never balanced the wheels/tires on any of my ATVs/SxS. But, I read on tirerack.com the general consensus is that the balance weights shouldn't exceed 1% of the assembly weight (wheel and tire). I know we're not talking about street legal tires. But just for reference, assuming each weight is 1/4 oz. and you have 18 weights that's a total 4.5 oz. (18 x.25 oz.=4.5 oz). That would be 1% of 28.125 lbs. So if you're wheel/tire combination weighs more than 28.125 lbs, the balance weights would be less than 1%. Twenty-seven weights would be 1% of a little over 42 lbs. All that is assuming my math is correct. Just the tires on my RZR alone weigh more than 38 lbs each. So according to tirerack, that is "reasonable."

·
Registered
567 Posts
i'd have to check my bighorns (doubt any non DOT tire would have these),
but all DOT tires will have a red dot (or some other indicator) on them. it indicates the high side of the tire. normally you would line this up to the wheel's valve.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of ya'll are missing the entire point or can't read, this is not about balancing tires and they are not DOT rated geez. :LOL:

·
Registered
431 Posts
i'd have to check my bighorns (doubt any non DOT tire would have these),
but all DOT tires will have a red dot (or some other indicator) on them. it indicates the high side of the tire. normally you would line this up to the wheel's valve.
Tensor regulators don’t have the red/yellow dots. Not sure why. They are DOT legal, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Some of ya'll are missing the entire point or can't read, this is not about balancing tires and they are not DOT rated geez. :LOL:
Yeah yeah. Maybe we’re just into hijackng your threads?

Seriously though, I’d give the aluminum tape suggestion a run. I have some of that stuff for HVAC ducting, and it’s about as strong a tape as I could imagine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I kind of thought the title implied the thread was about wheel weights and balancing when I read "wheel weights and balancing." You might have titled the thread something along the lines of "Any issues using adhesive backed wheel weights?"

And when you post in bold face "Holy Wheel Weights Batman!!!!" along with a picture showing 18 wheel weights, a lot of peeps might interpret that to mean you think that's a lot of weight and/or those System 3 tires are a POS. Peeps are gonna want to comment and/or ask questions.

The dynabeads that were mentioned are an ideal alternative to adhesive weights in off-road situations. You're obviously past that point now. I'm not saying they're better. But, that might've been good information to know if you did have a problem. I wouldn't know. I've never had to balance any of mine.

If only there was a discussion on that topic that peeps could find when searching wheel weights and balancing.... LOL

·
Registered
567 Posts
Tensor regulators don’t have the red/yellow dots. Not sure why. They are DOT legal, too.
might want to look for a raised black dot or a hole

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’ve seen people use tape to adhere cardboard paper to the sides of their vehicles so to keep the dirt and mud away from their finish. 🤔

Yep! Tape should work fine to keep those wheel weights on. 😉

·
Registered
431 Posts
might want to look for a raised black dot or a hole
I can’t remember exactly, but I feel like I read somewhere, maybe from tensor themselves, that they don’t mark the tires. I could be wrong, and I can’t find the evidence at the moment, but I have that feeling.

·
Registered
567 Posts
you could be right.
i am "assuming" all DOT rated tires would have them.
let me ask the wife, as she's always right....lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts