Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
5/2 all the way. The 4/4 or any other center offset wheel (3/3) is the worst thing you could run.
I have ran 3.5/3.5 and now 5/2 on my XPT and the differance is very noticeable. Not only does the car drive better, the steering is much lighter and your arms and shoulders take WAY less of a beating. Just finished a multi day ride covering 400 miles of mountain trails in TN with the 5/2s and Shock Therapy's stage 4 suspension work. I did the same type of ride prior to the suspension work and wheel change and I was sore for days afterward, but feel completely fine after this trip! Proper wheel offset and suspension is easier on your machine and your body.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice Info, but I didn't see any reference to a RZR 800. I just picked up a 12 RZR 800, and will need tires. It's all factory, and I was thinking of going to a slightyl larger tire, and one suited for road use also. Will I need to consider new wheels too? If so, What kind of offset for these?

·
Vendor
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Nice Info, but I didn't see any reference to a RZR 800. I just picked up a 12 RZR 800, and will need tires. It's all factory, and I was thinking of going to a slightyl larger tire, and one suited for road use also. Will I need to consider new wheels too? If so, What kind of offset for these?
Thank you. Since we didn't have any info on the 800 or many other stock UTV's we were hoping that you could take this info and use it in your own application as needed. If you remove your wheel and tire, measure the inside width of the wheel, measure the outside width from the hub mounting surface of the wheel and measure your tire height you could create your own sketch of your system on a work bench. You don't need the spindle drawing to get an idea of what your going to change when you buy wheels and tires. If you assume (I know you shouldn't do that but) that the factory has less than .500 inch of scrub (which every one we have measured does) then you can see what your new wheel and tire choice will change on your car. Physically draw your stock wheel and tire on a work bench in pencil or sharpie. Then overlay the drawing of your new wheel and tire and you will see the change in tire center-line where it contacts the ground. Any increase over .500-.750 is too much even when considering a tire height increase of 2".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Would I be wrong to assume, just adding a taller maybe wider tire to my factory wheel will be fine?
Side note, is it better to keep the fronts narrower than the rear, like factory?

·
Vendor
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
You can go as high as 2 inches taller than a stock tire on a stock wheel with no negative geometry issues. There are many theories on the wide rear skinny front tire debate. Personally, I have felt no real difference in drive-ability either way. In racing we always run the same size tire all the way around for spare tire reasons. Works great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I assume this has already been answered though I couldn't find it, does this apply to the rear end of the vehicle? I'm looking to purchase some sand -rear- tires and rims for my rzr 1000 when I do go off to the sand dunes in my area. These will be just put on for 2-5 trips a year.

My rzr already has the full stage 4 kit in fox shocks from you guys and I don't want to affect the ride.

Looking at a set of 14x7 w/ 5-2 offset with 29" tires. However, If I find a wheel that's 4-3 or 5-5 offset would this be an issue?

Thank you in advance!

·
Vendor
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
In the rear you can do what ever you like. All of this info is specific to the steering inputs which you don't have in the rear. Also, for the sand, any offset isn't as much of a consideration as it would be any where else. The reason is there isn't anything sharp, hard or nasty in the dunes. Everything is round so the steering inputs are lower and the wrong wheel offset doesn't show it's force full negatives as bad. But, again, the rear isn't a concern.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I run a 4+4 front wheel in the dunes and I would add that when running 4wd and accelerating hard, I get a lot more steering feedback with the 4+4s than I do with my 5+2 dirt setup. It's not unmanageable but it is kind of irritating. I rarely run 4wd in the dunes though so it's not a big deal and in the dunes I will take the added stability over less steering input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think to be safe I'll probably buy 5-2 wheels that way it performs best. Maybe even all around for spare reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I think to be safe I'll probably buy 5-2 wheels that way it performs best. Maybe even all around for spare reasons

Most paddles really need a wider wheel than 7". I run 5+5s in the back. Again, I would take the stability over the steering in the dunes.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Most paddles really need a wider wheel than 7". I run 5+5s in the back. Again, I would take the stability over the steering in the dunes.

Awesome thanks for your input I will consider that maybe I'll put my stock rims into the sand tires

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Awesome thanks for your input I will consider that maybe I'll put my stock rims into the sand tires

The stock wheels are way too narrow of an offset in my opinion and being 6" wide in the front and 8" rear still aren't wide enough for most paddles. What paddles are you going with?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was looking at EFX sandslingers because of how much I can get them for through someone I know

·
Registered
44 Posts
ST, I just put your stage 3 on my 2017 xp4 1000 HL... WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My feedback running 4+3 and 32" is from day one (put them on first day), and pretty rough at the wheel. Just want to verify I should move to a 5+2 for my model and tire size?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
ST, I just put your stage 3 on my 2017 xp4 1000 HL... WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My feedback running 4+3 and 32" is from day one (put them on first day), and pretty rough at the wheel. Just want to verify I should move to a 5+2 for my model and tire size?
I moved from 3.5/3.5 wheels to 5/2s and it made a huge differance. It also keeps you much cleaner. Combined with mud busters the tires are covered and not me!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thanks to ST for posting all the information. I just purchased 5+2 wheels for my new XP4 because of this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shock Therapy, I just got a 2017 900 Trail and need to get new tires. The stock tires are not doing this machine justice. I like radials. I mostly ride trails. Not much mud. Definitely looking for 8ply to hold up against rock punctures. I'm not very familiar with all the offsets. Can you help recommend a wheel offset and good tire that will keep me good mechanically with scrub. I would like a 28 inch tire if at all possible but a 27 would do if it keeps me in better shape mechanically. I read all the other threads but really want an experts opinion. Thanks a lot.

161 - 180 of 219 Posts