Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I know alot of people have addresed this issue, and yes my wheel bearing was bad. So yes I replaced it, and I used the right tools. I also torqued it to spec. Well it still wobbles a bit. Has any one else had this problem???

Could it be fixed by tightening it up some more?? or is te bearing houseing and wheel hub assembly bad??

Anyway, thanks for any input. This is my first polaris, and rzr.

I hope it isnt a continuing thing, I really am not a polaris fan, but loved the idea of the rzr.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
How much movement do you have?
Have you driven it after the bearing replacement?
Do you have any driveability issues?
If you move the wheel and look at the CV joint do you see the CV moving with the spindle staying still?
or
Moving the wheel dose the CV and spindle seem to move together?
Did everything fit together tight? as in bearing into spindle, hub into bearing.
You are the only that can see your RZR. I'm counting on you to check this stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Initially it did not move very much, and it still isnt alot of movement. I just like to know everything is right before I hit the trail.

I did drive it around the the yard a little bit and jacked it back up to check it. And it still wobbled. But I dont have any drivability issues, and it doesnt make any noise during driving.

It all went together tight like I would think it should. I have replaced lots of wheel bearings and hubs/spindles on cars before.

I dont think the cv axle is moving anywhere when I wiggle the wheel.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Are sure the play isn't in the ball-joint/pinch bolt area? Just ordered front bearings myself, also ordered a new bearing carrier and bolts for one side after replacing both ball joints to find it wasn't the ball joints. It appears to be slop where the pinch bolt and ball joint meet.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am having the same problem. I just replaced the bearing, hub, ball joint, & a-arm bushings. Still moving! Maybe a 1/16 of play, but none of the other ones move. Everything has been torqued to spec. A-arms, ball joints and tie-rod are not moving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is only less than 1/8th inch of play. The only thing is I rubbed the hub and didnt feel a lip. I my just drive it and go ahead and order another bearing hub, and bearing housing. This would eliminate all questions.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know this is overly simple but I purchased my RZR used and had the same problem. I was about to buy new hubs when I checked the shop manual and realized that the previous owner had installed the hub cone washers the wrong way.
It appears that the cone should face the hub and looks like an obvious install. After checking the manual I bought new washers and correctly installed them with the cone facing out and problem was solved.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I know this is overly simple but I purchased my RZR used and had the same problem. I was about to buy new hubs when I checked the shop manual and realized that the previous owner had installed the hub cone washers the wrong way.
It appears that the cone should face the hub and looks like an obvious install. After checking the manual I bought new washers and correctly installed them with the cone facing out and problem was solved.
good catch - I did mine a month ago (the hub was broken in two along the axle) i notice there were three washers installed and that was not what the manual said - so, i got a new cone washer too

J

·
0 Posts
good catch - I did mine a month ago (the hub was broken in two along the axle) i notice there were three washers installed and that was not what the manual said - so, i got a new cone washer too
That third washer was probably the shim washer that was added later to fix the earlier model rzrs problem with the loose hubs.
http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/26065-front-end-clicking-noise.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replace the front bearings, installed the spacer that was suppose to have been installed for my 08 and I still have some play in the wheel. I asked the dealer about this and he said that all of them have some play in them, including the full size Rangers. I am also use to working on cars and this would not give me a warm fuzzy, but it doesn't affect the way it drives.

I have attached the Tech Bulletin about the spacer and the torque spec.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just replace the front bearings, installed the spacer that was suppose to have been installed for my 08 and I still have some play in the wheel. I asked the dealer about this and he said that all of them have some play in them, including the full size Rangers. I am also use to working on cars and this would not give me a warm fuzzy, but it doesn't affect the way it drives.

I have attached the Tech Bulletin about the spacer and the torque spec.
Hope this helps.
thanks - i guess i'll go back and put the washer back - i have not heard any popping since i did the bearing install. I was more concerned about how difficult it was to get the old bearing out of the carrier and also to get the new bearing into the carrier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,
I added a 5000lb winch tonight, but that didnt help the bearing issue??? LOL....

I did notice that the cone washers were a little flat. I am going to ride it this weekend about 40 miles, and I will install the cone washer when I get back. If they have arrived. If the washers dont fix it.... I am replacing all of it on that side.

In my mind there should not be any play. It should be built to a spec, and it should be closer than it is. And if its not, then I will fix the it any way. LOL......

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
this was a fix on some it seems their was some clearance problems and the fix was to add anotheir cone washer.... it fixed the small slop like you all are talking about...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, the washers fixed the issue. Torqued to spec and no movement. The differance in the old and new washer was obvious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts