Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
There are lots of little differences between the first ones made and the most recent. Nothing major or worth upgrading.

The hitch is now welded into the gusset that connects the rear round frame rails. Much stronger than the original but not as strong as the aftermarket ones--which now will not fit Rzrs built in February or later.

The hood and motor access panel now have turn latches instead of the push pins.

Reshaped underseat storage that features a larger battery box but makes the storage compartment smaller. The new storage box is obviously intended for a lid. Watch for that to become available as an accessory. You can make your own for peanuts.

My elcheapo lid with rubber expansion latch: (this would look killer in polished treadplate!)

Floorpan now has reinforcing ribs underneath to strengthen it. Now it doesn't flex when you stand up. Downside is it's a major mud holder :-(

Skidplate now has "wings" that cover the area under the seats and protect the gas tank better.

The throttle pedal spring is stronger and now matches the force of the aftermarket ones. Helps eliminate the sensitive, choppy throttle.

And the last thing I noticed--and THIS one IS worthy of upgrading--the shock spring retainers are now made of steel instead of diecast aluminum. Should be way more likely to survive a hard landing than those brittle diecast ones.

I have a "Gen1" and "Gen3" (2/12/08) so I can't really say for sure which of these changes may have appeared on the "Gen2" machines. Also--these "Gen" labels are made up to try to distiinguish these production changes. I'm sure Polaris doesn't call them that but they don't talk to anyone so we make up our own descriptions :brick:

·
Registered
426 Posts
guy48065
Hey guy, great pics and explanation. On those mud collecting holes in the brace you pictured, just fill them with expanding foam, then carv it off flush. Lightweight, moisture proof, and you won't have to clean them out all the time.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The metal brace never changed. The plastic floor now has a waffle pattern of deep ribs to make it stronger. Heavy mud likes to pack in the spaces and dry there. Hard to reach to wash em out.

I might give the foam idea a try there anyway but I don't see how it will cling upside down unless I put a sheet of contact paper over the whole section and squirt foam in through a little puncture in each square. Sounds time consuming...but might be worth it to save washing time later.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
One significant change I noticed but forgot to add:
Me & 2 friends all bought Rzrs built in July. All 3 were seriously lacking in fluids. All levels were correct on the new one. :dance:

·
Back in the Saddle
4,063 Posts
The levels are something that the dealer fills during prep and assembly, right?

Shouldn't have anything to do with the manufacturing, but how good your dealer is!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I've also heard that the dealers were putting the wrong fluid in the cases, I think the gear box....made it hard to shift
Make sure to use #2876251 "LT" lube in the front gearcase. Some dealers have been using the same old thing they've always used in the Sportsman and Ranger but the Rzr uses a new lube.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yo, first post on here........great info! For the record born on date 12/12/07 has these changes also. Seeing how the Rzr was only released less than a year ago, glad to see changes being made as needed. Notice any difference in the sealing of the air boxes on the newer one?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.