Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I lost a Pure Pullhairass front a-arm guard on the trail the other day and can't find it. It ticked me off because I only drove it probably 4 times since I put them on. They are the aluminum ones and yes... I did tighten the bolts nice and tight...

I need to buy a new set and while i'm at it I want to get an after market skid plate but I don't know what kind I should go for...

The back a-arm guards are still good and I see no reason to replace them other than if I go with a black material for everything else they will look kind of funny being aluminum.

Should I purchase the aftermarket UHMW material such as a 1/2" skid with the rock sliders, and all 4 a-arm guards?

or

Should I purchase aftermarket aluminum material (better designs out there than the Pullhairass ones i'm sure).

Link to poll: http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rzr-discussion/35501-skids-aluminum-uhmw.html

Any advise is appreciated,

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I think from what i've read UHMW is the way to go. I'm currently working on my 3/8 plates, should have done today. With the leftovers UHMW I'll try to make a-arm guards. I think where the plastic has a little more give in it than you can snug down bolts without having them rattle loose like on aluminum skid plates.

If you do UHMW guards the ones i've seen come for all 4 corners so you can replace your rear ones.

·
Registered
893 Posts
X2 for the UHMW skids. I beat the crap out of my UHMW skids all the time on rocks, trees, etc. and they work flawlessly. I personally don't see the need for 1/2" as my 3/8" skids have held up perfectly. Plus they will slide over obstacles that you would get hung up on with aluminum.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Add another vote for the UHMW skids, they do indeed slide over obstacles in ways that are hard to describe. I have both UHMW skid plates and A-arm guards and find I pretty much don't even worry about rocks, fallen trees etc anymore.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i'll start a poll for the heck of it. I think the results will be obvious but i'm curious...

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Both materials are good, you just need to examine the type of riding (read: abuse) you will be doing. For higher speed situations, alum is great b/c they don't deform much in a big hit. For slow speed rock stuff, the umhw is good b/c it's quiet and slippery.

Here you go for some options: Skid Plates

1 - 9 of 9 Posts